The Skidder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That little skidder looks woefully under powered and more than a little tippy, just my opinion...

A Garrett 10 or 15 would pull better and they weigh in around 7-8k

The old Deere 440's are about 12K.

Ran an old Mt logger many years ago, Twas a working machine though.

heard very good things about the clarks but I think they are kinda heavy...

For the price of one of them fancy little guys you could get one of each and a matching parts machine...

I have never been around the Garrets. How are they for stability?

never ran one personally... the old farts out here sure love em though. They aren't real wide but they ain't real tall either, seems like they wouldn't be to bad?

Its silly but I've wanted a Garrett for years... guy could almost use the standard ATV trail a skid road. And they where really the first to make skidders a viable option.

They don't make em no more but most parts are component on em and some of the tough stuff is still available through the old factory, not much mind...

Can Car, Franklin, Tree Farmer where all licensed versions of the Garretts, eventually going on to build their own designs...

never ran one personally... the old farts out here sure love em though. They aren't real wide but they ain't real tall either, seems like they wouldn't be to bad?

Its silly but I've wanted a Garrett for years... guy could almost use the standard ATV trail a skid road. And they where really the first to make skidders a viable option.

They don't make em no more but most parts are component on em and some of the tough stuff is still available through the old factory, not much mind...

Can Car, Franklin, Tree Farmer where all licensed versions of the Garretts, eventually going on to build their own designs...
Northman- I was unaware of that little bit of history-thanks

For a light fast easy to work machine on those small lots, JD 440B. Around here they are between $8K and $12K if they are ready for the woods.

For a light fast easy to work machine on those small lots, JD 440B. Around here they are between $8K and $12K if they are ready for the woods.

Couldn't agree more oldtimer!
The 440b shouldn't be sold short. With a little weight in the rear tires they are pretty darned stable too.
I don't think I'd take $12 for mine though. Too hard to replace.

Andy

Just out of curiosity, whats the difference between the A's and the B's? Is it just a turbo and a better blade? I know the A's had more ponies then the straight 440's and no gasser option. I think the C's is when the square tube cage came in and they started getting heavier.

I'd like to see a 440 gasser that'd be pretty cool. I know TJ built gasser skidders back in the day.

I'd like to see a 440 gasser that'd be pretty cool. I know TJ built gasser skidders back in the day.

I've seen pictures of em, don't think they where real popular, the diesel age was coming on strong when skidders started taking off, so the only ones that made it far where probably the Garretts, and only cause they had a head start on everyone else, even they went more or less all diesel by the 70's

My thinking is any old gas pot in the woods would be a pain in the butt, climbing a hill and having the fuel bowl run out cause the float is at a bad angle or worse having it quit on ya durring a side hill... fighting with spark cause its to wet for a sane person to be working outside...

I've seen pictures of em, don't think they where real popular, the diesel age was coming on strong when skidders started taking off, so the only ones that made it far where probably the Garretts, and only cause they had a head start on everyone else, even they went more or less all diesel by the 70's

My thinking is any old gas pot in the woods would be a pain in the butt, climbing a hill and having the fuel bowl run out cause the float is at a bad angle or worse having it quit on ya durring a side hill... fighting with spark cause its to wet for a sane person to be working outside...

They aren't even good for plowing snow!!!IMO:cool2: Gas-skidders, that is.

View attachment 304368View attachment 304369View attachment 304370View attachment 304371View attachment 304372

Here is an IHC S8. It is not the one I have been renting. The owner said the tranny leaks a qt. a day or so. It shows to the pan under the tranny is caked with oil and grime. He did not know the year but thought it was an S8A. I looked for the V.I.N. tag and could not locate it . Does any one know were they are located? I think I can get it for $3,500.00. It fired right up after siting for a year and a half. The winch is a 119. there was some moister in the oil, but not to bad. The motor he thought was pretty solid. I think it's the skidder for me. The Jd 440C wasn't even worth taking photos of. Did gearamatic put the year of manu. in there #'s?

Last edited:
View attachment 304368View attachment 304369View attachment 304370View attachment 304371View attachment 304372

Here is an IHC S8. It is not the one I have been renting. The owner said the tranny leaks a qt. a day or so. It shows to the pan under the tranny is caked with oil and grime. He did not know the year but thought it was an S8A. I looked for the V.I.N. tag and could not locate it . Does any one know were they are located? I think I can get it for $3,500.00. It fired right up after siting for a year and a half. The winch is a 119. there was some moister in the oil, but not to bad. The motor he thought was pretty solid. I think it's the skidder for me. The Jd 440C wasn't even worth taking photos of. Did gearamatic put the year of manu. in there #'s?

doob, I think its a 7, could be wrong. that's cheap no matter what. tag should be on back of cab just over winch drive line.

Back