.404 vs 3/8 for 36" alaskan mk-111

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njolliff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im wanting to know which pitch would be better to run. Im new and just getting set up. I have an ms 880 that im going to put a cannon 42" super bar to use on a 36" alaskan mk-111. My question is, would you guys run a 3/8 pitch or a .404 with my setup? I will mainly be milling hardwood but with cadar and pine thrown in as well. All opinions are appreciated! Thanks

Hmmm

I don't have a ton of experience but, with the 394 running a canon 42" bar with the 36" alaskan, I have not been disappointed with 404 chain.

However the consensus on the site is that the 3/8 chain gives you a 10-15% faster cut than .404 with all other things being equal.

Most of the debate centers around pico chain and 3/8ths chain to be honest.

Post photos of your setup to share with everyone, and I am sure you can find more info with the search tool too.

Think of it in terms of width of the kerf. I don't know the exact width of .404 chain but it is a tad bit wider than 3/8" chain, which in turn is wider than Picco (63PMX) stihl chain. The wider the kerf the more horsepower it takes to sustain the cut, since you are removing more material. Logosol recommends that you can use picco chain on their 47" bar made for the picco chain, and no longer. Any bar longer than that and the picco chain will not hold up to the horsepower being applied to it. Hence the need for larger chain. I run the picco on my 32" bar powered by my 372XPW and it does very respectably. If you already have purchased the cannon bar you will have to use probably 3/8 or .404, unless it has a chain groove for .050" chain, them you could set up for the picco chain. I realized about a 25-30% increase in cutting speed(feed rate) when I switched from 3/8" ripping chain to the picco chain. It was more than worth it for me in the saved and more work being able to get done in the same amount of time, not to mention less duty being asked of the saw due to smaller kerf and less waste as well. Just what I have seen first hand.

Thanks for the replies. That pretty much clears it up for me. Ill check out this picco setup. Ill post some picks as soon as I get everything up and running!

Question: When ordering the larger mills from Granberg or Baileys why are they listed as .404 set ups? I ordered the 56" from Granberg and there was no option for 3/8.

Question: When ordering the larger mills from Granberg or Baileys why are they listed as .404 set ups? I ordered the 56" from Granberg and there was no option for 3/8.

What does the chain pitch have to do with a Granberg mill ? :confused2:

Bars for the 120cc Stihls are normally only available in 0.063" gage. Converting between 404x0.063" and 3/8x0.063" merely requires swapping the two sprockets.

What does the chain pitch have to do with a Granberg mill ? :confused2:

Bars for the 120cc Stihls are normally only available in 0.063" gage. Converting between 404x0.063" and 3/8x0.063" merely requires swapping the two sprockets.

It's what the C2 kit is listed coming with: Alaskan MK-III C2 Mill 56" | Granberg International

However I just now noticed that Baileys has the kit in .375. I'm running a MS880 so I went with .404

Latest posts

Back