Faulty Piston Warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has seen this in the past or if it has been discussed but I have recently had two pistons with the arrow stamped on the crown of the piston pointing in the wrong direction.

On one saw I corrected it on fitting, on the other another engineer had fitted it and it took out the rings but fortunately didn't damage the bore or ports.

Both pistons were Chinese, one branded, the other not.

Here is one faulty piston and the new Meteor piston next to it.....you have been warned:msp_scared:
View attachment 215129

That's why you always look to see where the rings are pinned. Also, you look to see if the ring ends are well clear of the intake port (if they're meant to go on that side.)

I haven't had one that was wrong yet but I always compare the new piston with the one that came out.

I just pulled an oem mahle piston from a husky 44 with the arrow facing towards the side of the ring locating pin. Granted the locating pin was off on the side, not square in front. I'm guessing the ring locating pin is supposed to be on the exhaust side( just offset) on this model? Either that or a factory messup. Fortunately i have another 44 i can tear down and look at for reference.

Latest posts

Back