Made me an edger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I ran a thread lamenting my purchase of a Haddon Lumbermaker and said I was going to make one similar to the one shown in the Chainsaw Milling book.

Here is my version.

I used 1/4" x 4" bar stock 1 foot long,
1/2" threaded rod with washers and nuts (adjustable to wider widths),
1/2" ID pipe (cut to the exact width of my 2"x4" guide board),
3 point mount is very stable and gives a good handle in the center),
local shop guy fixed me up with a used pro bar (16") and a couple of chains,
and 7/16" bolts on the bar.

This is it mounted to my Stihl 041>

Two things left to do, paint it and use it.

Will the chain rub on the metal that the bar is attached to?

Will the chain rub on the metal that the bar is attached to?

The bar is spaced off the metal plate with washers. I have two flat washers (2 per bolt) inserted and can insert more if needed. It has plenty of clearance the way it is configured.

I would like to have used 3/16" bar instead of 1/4" bar but they didn't have a sufficiently wide piece. The 4" width seems to be about ideal for the placement of the 3 rod/pipe assemblies. Obviously the spacing for the distance the cut is off the "edge" is determined by the thickness of how it all adds up. In this case it is 1/4" plus 2 washers, about 1/2" total.

Your reloading area is way too organized.
Edgeronbench1_zpscedae9b7.jpg

The secret to milling seems to be smoking a pipe while you mill. It makes it look so much easier. :msp_tongue:

The reloading area has been idle for a while now. Don't want to blow through supplies under the current regime. A good supply of ammo is in stores and hoarding components seems to be the way of the world these days. I haven't buried any guns ... yet.

Never smoked. At the age of 60 I doubt I'll start. I have to find another way to make milling look easy. Maybe with a beer in my hand. I skidded (is that a word) a big log up from the woods this morning. That was a lot of work because they are down in a ravine. I will get it ready to mill later today and will get some pics.

mtngun - this is the work product of an organized bench.

Two shots, one each, two different guns at 200 yards. Gun one - Ruger #1V 25-06, gun two - CZ 550 243 Win, the bet was two clean holes in a bottle cap, neither one touching, both contained inside the cap, one shot each gun, cold clean barrel. That won me lots of beer.

Back