First saw pickup in a few years--anything I should know about a Husky 154SE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You guys have probably noticed I've been absent here for a while. Well, old habits die hard so I grabbed a Husqvarna 154SE at a yard sale for $45. Runs well, has chainbrake and newer chain. Seems like a nice unit.

What should I know about this thing? Looks like it shares a basic design with newer models.

Keep an eye on ex cap,sometimes falls off and burn the brake.254 was the same except for a larger starter with better ventilation ,different starter pulley and longer lasting piston.Clutch has been improved on 254,retrofit to 154.

Last edited:
Sounds like you found a good deal. Check the tune be sure it 4 ,strokes at wot. Something I've started doing when I buy used stuff that runs is adjust the carb real rich make a cut and see if it holds a tune. If it comes out of the cut a little lean start looking for air leaks. Never hurts to pull the muffler check for scoring. If you plan on using it often go ahead get new filters,plug and carb kit.

:msp_smile: The 154se is a very nice saw, made around 1983 to 1986/87, when it was replaced by the very similar 254.

Many parts from the newer 254, 262xp, 254xp, 257 and 261 will fit - but there also are some important differences.

The 154 is one of my favorite saws. It takes very little to wake them up and make a very strong runner. Three things that I do are a generous muffler mod(necessary IMO), open up the air filter to the same diameter as the filter elbow, and gasket match and smooth the plastic intake manifold. A larger carb such as an HDA87 helps too, but not a lot. I find that 154/254's are my go-to 50cc class saw, and I have most of the newer ones. The 2153, 5100, 545, and 026 generally stay in the shop.

A good piston is hard to find for them, meteor doesn't make one, and OEM is getting scarce and pricey. As other members said, they are animals with a few simple mods. I have two, a 1986 154SE, and a 1987 254SG. In my opinion, they are the best 50cc class saws I have had the pleasure to run. Just wish meteor would make a piston for them.

I also have 2 of these, awesome little saws and will walk right past a husky 55. Keep hood mounts in it as well as the exh hat.

45 bucks...its a steal....

its my favorite saw.....as mentioned,,the simple mods will wake them up.....
i use the 154 more often than the two 254's i have.....its a little different..don't know what it is......
one of my 254's has very low mileage..minty p&c..the other one i put an aftermarket p&c...tecomec made in italy...
it runs as strong as the oem .....on these models ...the tecomec p&c is around 2/3 the cost of oem..

cheers.........

Latest posts

Back