best starting kind of rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My personal line is Poison Hi-vy which is 24 strand and like alot of guys on here have said is an excellent rope and I highly recommend it, however it is a bit pricy. My short line at work is blue streak which is more affordable and a good working line that will most definitely do everything that you will need it to do and isnt a line that will really limit you too much as you get better climbing. it will support pretty much every style of DbRt dont know too much about single rope but I'm sure it would work ok.

Hope this helps,

Random

I love new england fly. I just bought it to replace my arbormaster and it's so much easier to work with. Great rope and I'll probably buy another to replace this one when it wears out.

I started on a cool blue velocity, used that for about 2-3 years. Good lightweight rope. I now climb on a Lava. 11.7 is a bit nicer on your hands. I would recommend both.

OK. Thanks ; the local multi faceted outdoor and clothing store here has a coil of 9.8 mm. But it is kinda high dollar.

For static rope, you can't beat Sterling HTP for quality OR price. Far and away the best value for a 10mm+ static rope.
Under 10mm there are other brands, but I don't think anyone in the tree biz uses anything less than 10 for SRT

First off I am just getting into climbing and have no real world experience therefore should not be offering any advice however I ended up with a length of Yale Cordage XTC 16-strand 1/2". Seems like a decent line at a decent price from what I can tell. Again, I have nothing to compare it to.

For static rope, you can't beat Sterling HTP for quality OR price. Far and away the best value for a 10mm+ static rope.
Under 10mm there are other brands, but I don't think anyone in the tree biz uses anything less than 10 for SRT

I use an 11mm Sterling HTP and find it works well with most mechanical devices.

Just did a climb and used all 200' feet of it.

[video=youtube_share;lvej_pp-e64]http://youtu.be/lvej_pp-e64[/video]

Smokey; what's the thing on top of your Unicender? Thanks for showing the challenges of using a big shot.
You used all 200' straight up or up to your tie in point then down to the base anchor?

Hi tramp,

After reaching my TIP at about 120', I would reset the TIP so that I could make a quick exit at any time if needed. My line is 200' so when I reached the "end of my rope", I stopped there, besides I was pretty tired. To bad, it was just starting to get easy as the live branches were getting smaller and more frequent. The lower part of the canopy is full of dead stuff, hangers, huge limbs that are difficult to set anchors on etc. Fun at any rate, next time I'll get a little further I hope.

Cheers

As for my Unicender.

[video=youtube;ZlyP-GCEW5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyP-GCEW5M[/video]

@Smokey

How high did you get your throw line with the big shot, what size weight are you using, and how many tries did it take?

I can put my 14 oz. weight over a branch at around 80 feet, with 90 to 95% accuracy.

@Smokey

How high did you get your throw line with the big shot, what size weight are you using, and how many tries did it take?

I can put my 14 oz. weight over a branch at around 80 feet, with 90 to 95% accuracy.

8oz bag, 1.4mm line, 180' long. TIP was 120' as I finally got the bag over a suitable branch (seems odd calling them a branch as they are the diameter of many trees) and it only came back down half the distance when all the line had played out.
Took me a good 1 1/2 hours, although part of that was pretending to be taking pictures of ferns when someone would walk past.

8oz bag, 1.4mm line, 180' long. TIP was 120' as I finally got the bag over a suitable branch (seems odd calling them a branch as they are the diameter of many trees) and it only came back down half the distance when all the line had played out.
Took me a good 1 1/2 hours, although part of that was pretending to be taking pictures of ferns when someone would walk past.

I use the 2.2 mm Zing It with the 14 oz. weight. On a fairly slick barked tree it comes back down pretty easy, but rougher trees like pines can cause it to hang up, same for the rope when I'm setting my bowline. That's why I like the heavy line, I've had to climb all-the-way back up to my TIP one too many times.

If you are running it in hardware, consider a slimmer ~11mm (7/16) line.

I run mostly hardware for climbing and use New England fly. It's a fantastic rope that renders well in hardware and is also very affordable. You can get 150' for less than$100.

Hey boot, thanks for the suggestion, just picked up a 200' hank of the Fly to give it a try. (That was not meant to rhyme) So far interesting observation, it weights slightly less than the Sterling HTP but has a 24 strand cover like the Ivy rather than the 48 strand cover of the Sterling making it much more knot friendly. Fly probably picks a little easier than the HTP sterling. Another interesting thing, the Ivy in one catalog shows less stretch than the HTP, this is not true from my observations.
Going out this weekend to climb a 270' fir with both the Fly and HTP Sterling. I'll see how the stretch compares to the other ropes I'm using.
asset.php

Hey boot, thanks for the suggestion, just picked up a 200' hank of the Fly to give it a try. (That was not meant to rhyme) So far interesting observation, it weights slightly less than the Sterling HTP but has a 24 strand cover like the Ivy rather than the 48 strand cover of the Sterling making it much more knot friendly. Fly probably picks a little easier than the HTP sterling. Another interesting thing, the Ivy in one catalog shows less stretch than the HTP, this is not true from my observations.
Going out this weekend to climb a 270' fir with both the Fly and HTP Sterling. I'll see how the stretch compares to the other ropes I'm using.
asset.php

Smokey ; do you use a Nikosi saddle? . How do you like it? .
Do they have old growth fir in Georgia. ?

asset.php

It's kind of hard to compare the qualities of the two as they are entirely different in their construction. One is a static kernmantle the other is a 24 strand tree work specific rope. Sterling HTP is going to be the most static. It's polyester core and cover. Many tree ropes have a poly cover over a nylon core for a margin of safety in the event of a dynamic load.

I've just done a bit of price research in setting up a "ce climber" system (tachyon rope, hitch climber pulley, dmm oval biners, ocean polester prusik). The individual components end up costing $100.00 less than the kit avail on Wspur, however in the ce climber kit the rope comes with a teuflegerger "slaice" termination, this is latest technology apparently its stronger, more compact and dyneema reinforced. But is worth $100? I hate making decisions on climbing gear lol

I currently use samson true blue. I wouldnt mind trying the vortex. I, like some others like using half inch rope for the easier grip.

The results will be intresting.

Anyway. I.dont have any problem with p-ivy. There is some stretch. The stretch that it has doesn't effect srt. Feels a bit strange on big swings at first. Thats all grows old and goes away after awhile.

Back