Mystery MAC HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL CRUSADER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I scored this from one of my local sources the other day. Thanks Rodney. Very nice solid saw not running but motor is nice and smooth compression is excellent no spark but not worried about that. My question is not being real familiar with this style Mac is what the hell is it. To me Im thinking a 200 or 300 series but decal is gone if you can imagine that, and I do not see any other identifying marks so just wondering if someone who knows these would be able to Id it by Photo or point me in the direction of figuring out what it is. Does have the Mac carb on it so that worries me a bit as finding parts if needed, Primer does not feel like its doing anything. wondering if it would be hard to switch to a tilly instead but we will see what we can do with what its got first. Hope someone can help. Thanks Zach.:chainsawguy: Oh yeah cost me a whole $15 yah.

Roll her over on her side and take a pic of the numbers on the bottom of the crankcase. That will tell you what she is.

Assuming that the carb and flywheel cover are original, I'm guessing it's a 380. If you can get the numbers off of the bottom of the block we may be able to pin things down.

If it is all original parts, long black molded top, 1/2 wrap handle, flat back carburetor means 300 or 380 most likely. Both are nice saws, 87cc of gut wrenching torque. Not fast saws but like the Energizer bunny, keeps going and going and going...

Of course, looking at the numbers stamped in the bottom will remove any doubt at to the true identity.

Mark

Last edited:
OK well Im going to make an educated guess and say its a 380. The number says 3802191 the 380 appears to be triple stamped. Posting a few photos so hopefully you guys can see.

306130d1374888963-010-jpg

That's a 380 alright. My theory is that R.P. McCulloch's drunken nephew was in charge of stamping the large frame Mac blocks. Some of the jiberish that I've seen is just plain amazing.....

306130d1374888963-010-jpg

That's a 380 alright. My theory is that R.P. McCulloch's drunken nephew was in charge of stamping the large frame Mac blocks. Some of the jiberish that I've seen is just plain amazing.....

Ha that's great. Well I'm pleased I definitely got that yellow fever now. Not sure how it happened but it did. My shop is being slowly overrun I got some other stuff to show off but will save for another day. Thanks for the info on this one guys. Now to see what it'll take to get her going. If The carb needs parts anyone know where a guy could get them. I got plenty of bullfrog guts but nothing for these larger ones.

that numbers great :) i did work experience at a helicopter place, had to redo the compliance plate or something. twice. cant second guess when punching numbers! scribing lines helps if its gotta be accurate.

im in the same sort of boat now...this yellow fever. i really wish id hung onto the old girls i had lying around at some point.

cus i just scored a real relic. only clue to its heritage is the yellow paint and mcculloch on the piston. been converted to RC so its been stripped bare. lucky it had been left outside with the piston over the ports!

looks to be a cp55 or similar.

comes with a handy flywheel puller :) remove prop hub, remove flywheel nut, insert 10mm of bar in hole, re attach hub and pop. off it comes :)

looks like its just the points that are suspect so far.

going to make for a nice bike motor if i dont break a ring/can find new ones! tuned pipe and a new carb :)

ill make my own thread if that happens... cus then i will need to know what it is!!
View attachment 306211View attachment 306212

headsmess - 69210 piston is a 10-10 with 0.010" oversize bore, just slightly over 54 cc.

You may find that carburetor a challenge, not like anything you may have experienced to date. There are some details buried deep within the McCulloch thread in the sticky's section, root it out if you are really interested in the theory behind that carburetor.

Diaphragms are frequently up on e-bay but generally run around $30.

Stihl Crusader - if the primer doesn't work, you can always get the saw to start with a shot of mix right down the throat. For many years when the only saw I owned was an old McCulloch like that, I always started the saw the first time of the day with a prime. Unless you run it completely out of fuel, it will likely restart all day long once you've had it running.

Mark

wow. thanks for that :) rings seem plentiful still, so i guess im gunna heat it up a bit, hope they loosen up, and not have to order any yet.

it sure does resemble a 10-10...just the bottom half of the crank is seperated, it doesnt have the...whatever that tank is? it doesnt look modified or hacked at in any way. so i guess thats what threw me, or its another variant. everything else adds up.

have a pile of carbs ranging from walbro pumpers to mikuni 18's etc. adapting somethings not too hard and really depends where i stick the tank...

as far as i can tell with what ive got, its a diaphgram carb, with an airbleed for the low speed? it looks archaic :)

the fact the piston is legible im hoping is a sign it hasnt been run much in its present configuration. overbored? hmmms.

cheers :)

im undecided... use it for a pushy or a boat?

Last edited:
So metering diaphragm in carb is history. Hard crunchy and has a hole in it. Any one got one? I got lots of stuff to trade.

Gasket & Diaphragm kits on e-bay are $27.

If you want to try going the econ-route I should have a good used metering diaphragm if that is all you need.

Mark

I just found them today and ordered a couple. Seams strange I had always heard they were really hard to come by and Quite expensive when you do find them. I am assuming these must be reproductions but that's fine with me as long as they are decent quality.

Latest posts

Back