trees for around a firepit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethsfirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a firepit which gets absolutely killed by sun in the afternoon at my place of business. I would like to have people be able to sit there in the afternoon, but it is almost impossible during the summer months. Therefore, I am looking into non-coniferous trees to plant around the pit which grow relatively quickly, do not drop lots of stuff (worried about buds and flowers going into beverage and food and creating a mess), early and late leaf out and leaf drop and a bonus would be striking foliage in the fall.

My initial thoughts were a Bradford Pear, however I am worried about the small flowers when they bud. I was also thinking Zelkova but their foliage in the fall is non-existent as I think they simply turn brown.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should plant? I am just NW of Philadelphia.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Seth

Both of the species you've mentioned are more ornamental and not the best for shade. I'll let some of our PA members suggest some varieties that would do well in your area, but one thought came to mind reading your post. Since you're in the fire wood business, how about a nice peeled pole pergola to give your customers some relief until the trees grow large enough to provide useful shade? Just a thought. Jeff

P.S. I would also recommend planting several varieties instead of just one, both for variety and disease resistance.

Conifers, but would bald cypress or metasequoia work? Both grow as fast as anything long lived.

Hmmmm.... liriodendron tulipifera (tulip tree) grows pretty fast here and is shaped like a shade tree. I have never known the ones in local parks to drip from aphids or anything but will defer to your area experts.

Nyssa sylvatica is great but a fussy transplant and somewhat slow growing.

Flowers on the tulip and come and go quickly like on most trees. Even the hated Bradfords. Bradfords can have that urine like smell though.

Lots of Bradfords split from the weight of ice, we get it here in Columbus and I've been in Philly during a nice ice storm a few years back, nothing sucks more than a tree splitting in half as soon as it's large enough to look really good in it's space :( I see crazy amounts of scale forming on pears around here that never see thinning/corrective pruning, and since they split so easily, lots of climbers never get up in there to prune them.
Pretty tree not a favorite. For our customers, we check with the nursery in early fall, they usually have a few nice trees that are bit bigger than the regular landscapers like to handle so they discount them heavily to avoid having big trees sit. And your nursery can suggest which will be best for shade and fast growing, probably even hook you up with a good landscape contractor to install it/them.
Dave

Back