Project 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
Reaction score
well i finally picked up my ebay saw project.
a seized up 660 due to straight petrol being used. was told saw is roughly 20 hrs running time on it. i think they got the "roughly" bit rite. looks like its been rolling around in the back of the ute for the past 6 years.
bore looks good but the piston doesnt.. can pull the cord ok. new bar and chain b4 last use apparently .. well the burnt the crap out of the bar!!
i checked the lube and it was on max.. but judging by the looks of the condition of it i think it has been a very neglected saw.
let the fun begin!!

well i finally picked up my ebay saw project.
a seized up 660 due to straight petrol being used. was told saw is roughly 20 hrs running time on it. i think they got the "roughly" bit rite. looks like its been rolling around in the back of the ute for the past 6 years.
bore looks good but the piston doesnt.. can pull the cord ok. new bar and chain b4 last use apparently .. well the burnt the crap out of the bar!!
i checked the lube and it was on max.. but judging by the looks of the condition of it i think it has been a very neglected saw.
let the fun begin!!

Good luck getting that cylinder cleaned up. I like to buy junk saws now and rebuild them in the winter.

Hope you got a decent deal on it... Looking forward to its Revival :rock:
factoring in it needs new piston and jug,( at this stage lol) i should come out in front if i was to sell it.

Good luck getting that cylinder cleaned up. I like to buy junk saws now and rebuild them in the winter.

thanks! well its winter here so perfect timing.:msp_thumbup:

How can you tell what the bore/cylinder looks like threw the blow hole. I needs to know:msp_ohmy:

the photo doesn't show it well at all, opposite side from exhaust looks good bordering on great.
doesn't mean exhaust side is tho i know.well it aint conclusive by any means.
just being optimistic. :msp_ohmy:

You can count on the exhaust side of the cylinder having a significant amount of transfer. You can't smear the rings and piston like that without doing so. You may or may not be able to clean it up and save the cylinder.

You can count on the exhaust side of the cylinder having a significant amount of transfer. You can't smear the rings and piston like that without doing so. You may or may not be able to clean it up and save the cylinder.

Yep, look at the piston threw the intake and I bet it looks good. The big question.

What did you pay:msp_razz:

i hear ya.. just gotta roll the dice and see what comes of it. could be a good excuse to get a ported jug for it :msp_w00t:

Yep, look at the piston threw the intake and I bet it looks good. The big question.

What did you pay:msp_razz:

i little bit more than a 1/3 of the price of a new one. 2nd hand runners here go for around half + of a new one.

On the last day of the Elmore Field Days last year Stihl was selling them for $1400.00. Just about every farmer went home with one in the back of their ute.

On the last day of the Elmore Field Days last year Stihl was selling them for $1400.00. Just about every farmer went home with one in the back of their ute.

Thats a pretty decent discount, can't believe I missed them.

Thats a pretty decent discount, can't believe I missed them.

Rudy, I nearly bought one but I have four 066's and two 064's already. The Stihl guys were fueling them up and trial cutting every one of them. Funny the 460's were selling for $100.00 more.

is that the one that just finished on the bay? I watched it and had a bid early on but it got to a bit dear for me. I just picked up a real nice 066 out of the local paper for $400 just around the corner from work. new stihl 24" bar and chain Good runner just leaked a bit of fuel out of the tank. Cleaned it up and sealed it with some rapid fix and she's as good as new.

is that the one that just finished on the bay? I watched it and had a bid early on but it got to a bit dear for me. I just picked up a real nice 066 out of the local paper for $400 just around the corner from work. new stihl 24" bar and chain Good runner just leaked a bit of fuel out of the tank. Cleaned it up and sealed it with some rapid fix and she's as good as new.

Yeah it finished on Tuesday. Yeah it got to my limit too in the end.
But I didn't want a runner. Wanted something to play and build with.
Not sure if ill keep it in the end. See what happens.

there was a ms660 on for .99c Wednesday night i gave the guy i ring and convinced him to take it of for $150. Not to sure of the condition yet he didn't even know much about it called it an .mz650 or sumfn. sometimes you just got to take a risk

A quick strip down as far as I could go. ( need to buy a longer torx driver)
Plenty of saw dust everywhere.
3CD47F12-D47E-4F90-8A45-5E0426FC077B-3656-000002BC85BCDEFC_zps1c92b7e4.jpg

AF8E89F4-3B2D-4EBD-94F7-ABA0E3B1D889-3656-000002BC9479A957_zpsd56c4f7a.jpg

7A367D8D-3173-457E-A8FC-3EC00F52E3A4-3656-000002BCA393131E_zps15e76a1d.jpg

A fair amount of crap on the filter support which is meant to be the clean side !
B2E8F429-F696-4664-A2F0-9B2A41EBC721-3656-000002BCE8816A13_zps3c772b8b.jpg

Think I will have to stock up a few cans of brake cleaner.

Latest posts

Back