v.p. fuel retune ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on VP SEF in my saws a few years back. I had to retune all my saws because they ran super rich and if you put pump gas in they were on the lethal edge of lean. If you are going to go with VP I suggest sticking with it and try not to go back to pump gas unless you have too. I will probably give VP fuel another shot here this year and see if it has improved.

That's not a flaw in the fuel. It's just the nature of the fuel. I realize that SEF94 isn't race gas, but race gas runs WAY richer than pump gas. It's just part of it. For that matter pure gasoline runs richer than E10 pump gas.

Indeed it does when i bought that 91 octane E free gas last week i had to lean everything out a hair. It smells great mixed with Motul 800 2T.

Last edited:
I run pump gas that's e free. If I had no other choice for e free 100ll might be the best choice. I have used the 40 fuel for older saws that set on the shelf for long periods of time. If you're running them often then using pump gas and then flushing it with. 40 fuel or VP sef may be a cheaper alternative.

I was running 100 No E but have switched back to 93 E because It's a drive to get the 100. I do know that my saws had to be retuned. I'll do the 100 vs 93 test on the dyno soon.

I was running 100 No E but have switched back to 93 E because It's a drive to get the 100. I do know that my saws had to be retuned. I'll do the 100 vs 93 test on the dyno soon.

That will be a great test. My saws feel a little stronger on 91E gas but I switched to 100LL due to multiple carb problems. Never had a problem since switching. I run all my gas powered engine on 100LL Amsoil 50/1, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Everybody freaks out when I point out the mower and tiller are buring mixed gas and you cant tell by watching them run.

Spent most of the day cutting firewood today - Fir and Hemlock

I found a place here (Mt Vernon) that sells E-Free 90 octane fuel I got a gallon

With the MS 250's I have (wish are just about the same close as I could get- mod's) one was ran on pump fuel and the other ran with the VP fuel; the one with the pump fuel had to be retune you could feel the difference between the two fuels I also switched chains thinking it may be the chain but it wasn't

Also had the MS 261 running a 20" 3/8's b/c :msp_wink:

80 degree + temps here in the PNW today made it pretty warm while cutting

Capture it on video and time it. Perception and wishful thinking are far more powerful than you think.

I don't vid when im cutting heck I didn't even take any pictures today it was just a little warm

There was three of us out there all taking turns cutting

Have you tried Trufuel for a comparison? I'd like to run some to see.

I have TruFuel in my Echo trimer. That is the only fuel it will run reliably on. Regular pump gas it won't rev up and starts really hard.

That's not a flaw in the fuel. It's just the nature of the fuel. I realize that SEF94 isn't race gas, but race gas runs WAY richer than pump gas. It's just part of it. For that matter pure gasoline runs richer than E10 pump gas.

SEF is marketed as a true alternative to pump gas, fill it up and go. My experience has been the opposite. I want the option of being able to top off with pump gas, or SEF and not have to retune mid tank. You are correct, SEF isn't race gas and it is/was a poor small engine fuel (SEF) for my saws.

I hate to be a party pooper, but you're not going to get any noticeable gains in power from any of these fuels. They're all about long shelf life.

Shelf life is 2 years for SEF in a CLOSED (air tight) container if you are lucky. It will deteriorate in a fuel tank that is open to the air. It evaporates incredibly fast (1/4 mason jar in 24 hours) and leaves oil in the carb and fuel system that adds to the running rich problem. I bought a 5 gallon can and had it for 2 years and did notice a difference in performance with the old gas compared to the new.

I am willing to give SEF another try and probably will in the next couple of months, but my past experience was less than I had expected and at the time not worth the expense. Our fuel here has gotten worse with ETOH so I am willing to give it a go again.

Latest posts

Back