whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from a big let down. Super good customer who lives 20 minutes from the shop has a friend that lives over a hour and a half from the shop. He tells me that the job will be a for sure deal...just go over there and price it out and set it up. He said the other day "I've already talked to Gary about you. You have the job. Gary and I did deals together all over the world. He is not worried about the price...the guy is probably worth 20 million." I get there on time and wait 50 minutes on him only to be told "Well, we are getting some other bids." And hey, I didn't bid the job high, just the regular rate. What a ding dang bummer.

I hope for your sake you worked that hour and a half ride each way into the bid.

I just came back from a big let down. Super good customer who lives 20 minutes from the shop has a friend that lives over a hour and a half from the shop. He tells me that the job will be a for sure deal...just go over there and price it out and set it up. He said the other day "I've already talked to Gary about you. You have the job. Gary and I did deals together all over the world. He is not worried about the price...the guy is probably worth 20 million." I get there on time and wait 50 minutes on him only to be told "Well, we are getting some other bids." And hey, I didn't bid the job high, just the regular rate. What a ding dang bummer.

You never let me down!
Jeff :laugh:

Last few days have been fun. Did a bunch of air spade work yesterday; RCX on a jap maple which we found to have MANY girdling roots, got a few of them out, put in some fert and hoping for the best. Used it to dig holes for 2 posts that we are installing for a client... sure is nice to have my own compressor... when it works that is. Talked with a lady I bid some work for on Sunday, they had an eyesore of a stump on the property line... told them I'd bang it out while the backhoe was in the neighborhood for $500... some hemming and hawing because the neighbor was supposed to take care of it; another client who are Indians (sniper dot, not feather). Wound up doing it; used air spade to blow a lot of the soil off to keep weight down.

This morning we met up with my buddy (backhoe) to set the posts up... concrete truck came on time though he jacked his price up $200... I was NOT happy. I think the guy was Albanian... hence the screwing, that's a group of people that just should NOT be trusted. Did a job I sold yesterday; hourly gig was supposed to be 2 branches on a white oak and do what I can on this one black birch. Told the lady she probably wanted to be there... sure enough "keep going" so rather than being 2 - 3 hrs, we stayed there from 10 - 5. Have to go back tomorrow morning to knock over 4 dead trees in the woods, and then we'll be back again in the winter when all the flowers are dormant to remove a few trees by the house. DF got his wood work finished, though I had to stop to babysit him once or twice. He's paid and on his way to AC I think.. no money, but he's going with his friends. Homeowner was happy with the work, but is completely in agreement that he is probably the dumbest person he's ever met... but the kid did haul out 3+ cords of wood on his shoulders.

Talked with some friends, kept hearing how much the other guys are charging... amazing. One of my friends bid a job for $1500, one of the hackers (who just had a guy get badly injured with a saw) will probably wind up doing it, as he quoted $800. Turns out some of the landscape guys who have been building up quickly are charging a ton of money too... $25 and $30 / man hr. AMAZING!

Got this one picture of my ace worker blowing off the sawdust from the guy's lawn where DF pulled the wood out of. I'm standing up by the road to take the picture.View attachment 307969

Today we are making magic happen LOL , or just some plum shearing
raha9y9y.jpg
eje8a9eh.jpg
paqu6ary.jpg
I allowed him to work minus a hArdhat since as he was cleaning up it kept falling off and smashing the flowers LOL

Only guy I know close in size is Pittsburgh lumber jack? Other than that they are all one bucket outfits.

Here's a pic of the power Company using us like u said could never happen.

Anyway I don't care anymore lxt they gave me enough green not to care about your bull anymore. Size isn't everything its who has the work.

qamymyge.jpg

8ytybavu.jpg

ejetu6uv.jpg

Dude its west penn power Not the other electric company (Duquesne) & taking a hanger off the line when its dead is not working for them when the HO is paying the bill, I guess you`re bigger than everyone in western PA & all of Ohio for "Big D" to want you & to buy you?

Funny when I mentioned your big time deal to the regional manager he didnt even know who you were, said he gets calls often from guys wanting to sell their biz but..............you didnt ring a bell! Ya Know big D is in the pittsburgh area "mifflin road" to be exact! & whos your inspector at west penn? that should be the Jeanette office?

Oh dont bother..............Im sure the story will be you `re not allowed to discuss anything & when the deal doesnt happen you thought about your men & etc...

I would think an acquisition like this would make the TCIA publication? just got the Mag & didnt see anything in there? keep us posted Matt!

LXT.....

Dude its west penn power Not the other electric company (Duquesne) & taking a hanger off the line when its dead is not working for them when the HO is paying the bill, I guess you`re bigger than everyone in western PA & all of Ohio for "Big D" to want you & to buy you?

Funny when I mentioned your big time deal to the regional manager he didnt even know who you were, said he gets calls often from guys wanting to sell their biz but..............you didnt ring a bell! Ya Know big D is in the pittsburgh area "mifflin road" to be exact! & whos your inspector at west penn? that should be the Jeanette office?

Oh dont bother..............Im sure the story will be you `re not allowed to discuss anything & when the deal doesnt happen you thought about your men & etc...

I would think an acquisition like this would make the TCIA publication? just got the Mag & didnt see anything in there? keep us posted Matt!

LXT.....

Will do

Did a storm damage clean up 2 months ago, two 24-28" red oaks along the forest edge. Just cut everything up and throw it back in the woods. HOA called, changed their minds. They would like all wood and brush removed. I hate when they do that. Pulling apart a huge rats nest and humping wood from behind the house. On the plus side, I have my heating wood for 2015.

Thats funny coming from a socal local check out 101's pics of shearing thundercloud plums. Shear **** work

**** work , dude your a ####ing joke ! Why is it bad to shear plums , since that's like the 12 th time in 6 years that I've hit those individual trees , honestly I grew up working in a nursery and landscaping by the age of 12 tree working at 18 , so please you cum stain enlighten me on what's bad about the shearing ?

I think your sheared plums look kinda neat, Eddie.
Mushroom art sculptures. :msp_biggrin:

Back