298xp and 2100 xp questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

038mag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello i recently purchased 5 husqvarna chainsaws for a 100$, 4 of the were 480s and the other is a 298xp. i have the cylinder for the 298 but no piston. i cant seem to find an afterarket one or even a good used one. my question is will a 2100 piston work in the 298 cylinder or can i simply put a whole 2100 top end on my 298. thanks for helping.

hello i recently purchased 5 husqvarna chainsaws for a 100$, 4 of the were 480s and the other is a 298xp. i have the cylinder for the 298 but no piston. i cant seem to find an afterarket one or even a good used one. my question is will a 2100 piston work in the 298 cylinder or can i simply put a whole 2100 top end on my 298. thanks for helping.

Since you're new here.... just wanted to explain the "You Suck" response that was given..... it is a positive remark we say when someone gets a great score on saws. Since you got 5 husq saws for $100... a "You Suck'' is in order.

Oh and by the way...........

YOU SUCK!!!!! :rock:

Last edited:
lol yea i got a chuckle out of that haha, well after a little more digging one of the saws that i thought was a 480 was actually an 1100 hah!!!

well thanks for the help, now the other thing im issing off the 298 and 1100 is the carburetors, wat carbs will work, finding 298 stuff is murder. thank god most of it is there. also will the ignition stator/coil off the 1100 work on the 2100? thanks again.

the 1100 uses the femsa magneto and requires its matching flywheel.
the 2100 uses the sem magneto and has its own matching flywheel. the femsa may also have been used on the 2100 too.
you could put either magneto/flywheel set on either saw, including the 298,however, the flywheels are not interchangeable.
too late to take a pic of the sem now, but will tomorrow.

Another note; If the 2100 really is a 2100xp (exactly that), and not a 2100CD or 2101xp, it is a very rare model to find, and collectible. It was made only for a very short time, between the 2100CD and the 2001xp. What does the number tag on that saw say?

Last edited:
Another note; If the 2100 really is a 2100xp really is exactly that, and not a 2100CD or 2101xp, it is a very rare model to find, and collectible. It was made only for a very short time, between the 2100CD and the 2001xp. What does the number tag on that saw say?

Well hell- I just learned something.:rock:

Oh and OP- this thread is worthless without pics. Might as well be a work of fiction. AS rules require pics in every thread for us "visuals" who read with pictures. :popcorn:

Another note; If the 2100 really is a 2100xp (exactly that), and not a 2100CD or 2101xp, it is a very rare model to find, and collectible. It was made only for a very short time, between the 2100CD and the 2001xp. What does the number tag on that saw say?

well the tag is gone. i am simply basing my decision on the fact that it loooks like a 2100cd but the handle is plastic and not solid orange like the 480s i got.

well the tag is gone. i am simply basing my decision on the fact that it loooks like a 2100cd but the handle is plastic and not solid orange like the 480s i got.

Not sure witch saw your are referring to, but an 1100 will have a black plastic rear handle. 2100 is a 1 piece orange mag tank and handle.

ok then its an 1100, because it has the black handle. now will a carburetor off a 2100 or 1100 work on the 298xp?

the carbs should be interchangeable, same disp. & linkages AFAIK....
here's pics of the SEM coil and flywheel.
never had one of the femsa set ups.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back