Ported 254 Husqvarna...Big fun small package!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the "154" Family, but the 154 and 254 was a little different from the larger ones, and use a different crank etc... A 262xp top end can't easily be put on a 154/254.

I was going to start researching whether I could put my spare 254 top end on another 257 bottom I have, but I guess you're saying no.

Sunfish....That was a sweet XP you had.:clap:

I was going to start researching whether I could put my spare 254 top end on another 257 bottom I have, but I guess you're saying no.

Sunfish....That was a sweet XP you had.:clap:

I am far from any sort of expert on those saws, but according to the info I have picked up trough the years, you are right about that.

So, the cases are the same and the cranks are different? I think I remember JJ posting something about there being some differences in some of the 254 cranks as well. It's been a few years ago.

One of the greatest!!!!! I would love to have $5 for each cord of pulpwood that I put on the ground with a 254 in the years that I ran them, I would be a happy man.

Common sense dictates you DON'T get rid of a Husky 254xp. I don't know if building a 254xp using a Tecomec top would be equivalent to OEM but if it is the rewards outweigh the cost.................

tecomec

bought a 154 & 254 for 100 bucks....seller said 254 was his parts saw....clutch cover was the only thing he had switched.....the 254 was very clean....someone had put the saw on something hot and melted a hole in the fuel tank.....piston & cylinder were mint...low hours...it runs great......the 154 ran but didn't idle well.....high hours...looked like it got dragged to the woods...lots of scars...the cylinder was clean and the piston was worn smooth...skirt had a lot of wear....new tecomec piston & oem ring..this thing screams now....idles perfect......bought another 254 for the plastics for the 154.....50 bucks...it ran but the case was leaking....bar oil to crank....i couldn't scrap it.....rebuilt it..needed p & c.....got a tecomec kit...160 bucks.....running both 254's ...i can't say one is stronger ...not sure that the oem is broken in.....i put five or so tanks through it....but i will say that the 154 has got the edge on both 254's.....it does have the bigger carb....hda 87...not sure if thats why....to make a long story short...not unhappy that i paid the big bucks for the tecomec parts....

cheers..............

Aren't the 254 and 257/261/262 built on the same chassis?

I spent a couple of minutes looking through the IPL's of the 254/257/261/262. They all use/have used 501 86 0004 as the crankcase. So, the crank and cylinder on should fit any case if they are matched, and I would think that the weight bw the models would be very close.

How 'bout a stroker 254 with the longer crank??

I spent a couple of minutes looking through the IPL's of the 254/257/261/262. They all use/have used 501 86 0004 as the crankcase. So, the crank and cylinder on should fit any case if they are matched, and I would think that the weight bw the models would be very close.

How 'bout a stroker 254 with the longer crank??

The stroke is the same but it has a different deck height.

I swear a 254 is a smaller saw must be just the top cover is lower.

David

I think the 254 uses a different and smaller gas tank /rear handle. No springs like the 257 261/2.

So, the cases are the same and the cranks are different? I think I remember JJ posting something about there being some differences in some of the 254 cranks as well. It's been a few years ago.

I remember that thread - If memory serves (it mostly does), it is just the rod that is different, which means the part number is different. JJ was misled for a while in that thread, because someone had shifted rod around one or the other way on at least one bottom end that he had (again, if memory serves)......

I remember that thread - If memory serves (it mostly does), it is just the rod that is different, which means the part number is different. JJ was misled for a while in that thread, because someone had shifted rod around one or the other way on at least one bottom end that he had (again, if memory serves)......

Crank from 154 and 254 were interchangeable.254 crank was upgraded to correct problem with bottom end like seizing or broken cage.The newer one was much better.

Crank from 154 and 254 were interchangeable.254 crank was upgraded to correct problem with bottom end like seizing or broken cage.The newer one was much better.

Really? Huh. Learn something every day. Did not know there was an update. Most all of the failed cranks I have seen on these saws had the clutch threads snapped off. Presumably impact wrench damage. Good to know though.

..Now I'll have to bring my 254 out and make a video of it....I can definetly "also" say that the 254 is one impressive saw. I did amuff mod and widened the exhaust port on mine and thats it...i'm running .325 pitch on a 16" bar and I wouldnt change a thing!

Latest posts

Back