Am I Correct?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've gone through a lot of old threads regarding the "best" log splitter to get. My budget is $1,500.00 max. I will be using it for my own personal use. I burn about 4 cords a season. Is it the general consensus the 22 ton splitter from Tractor Supply is the best value? I climb for a living and can get all the wood I want and can pick and chose the best pieces, i.e. no nasty crotch pieces etc. Reason I am getting it is the wife is tired of splitting wood.

If you buy used you could buy better equipment for the $$$, but new it would be a tossup between the 22 ton and the 28 ton. A lot of the 28's "split" the difference between spitting power and speed. If you're usually splitting 16" and narrower wood the 22 will work just fine. If you're going to split bigger wood more often I'd go with the 28. IT'll stand up to the use a bit better. Either look for a good engine. I'm skeptical of the newer Briggs motors as they have a spotty track record but the one one my 35 ton is doing well except for the phenolic resin (plastic) pawls for the recoil starter engagement as I've replaced them a few times. I will have a Super Split for general firewood production eventually but that isn't in your budget, nor is it likely called for with the amount of wood you want to split a year.

$1500 will get you a nice machine with a Honda engine, I have a Troybilt with the Honda and am completely satisfied with it, personally with your budget I would stay away from used, don't know why people are always suggesting used.

Wait for a sale and save a couple c notes, TSC usually runs one in the fall. I think were talking the Speeco units here and they seem to be fairly responsive to customers unlike some companies. There also a new player in town DHT and TSC will be carrying or be able to get those I believe. Not a lot of history on them but have been very responsive to critiques of their equipment.

Over all there is not very much difference in the box store models especially the vertical/ horizontal units. About all you can go on is the component sourcing and what ever info is floating around in the archives here.

Speed gets all hyped up, reality is that if its you and maybe one other person they are all plenty fast enough to work up a sweat.

If your thinking a 4 way wedge then the 28 ton likely would be a better choice. Otherwise the 15-20 range is more than sufficient.

I've got the 22 T Huskee and it's done everything I've asked of it. I have little experience with anything else other than a couple of friend's 'vintage' home-builts which seem to need repair about every half cord. :msp_tongue:
TSC has them on sale about this time of year. Get the log catcher (definitely), a decent spark plug, fuel shutoff, and some fully synthetic oil before you even run it. Go through it and tighten the hoses etc. Keep the other $350 or so from your budget in your pocket.
They can be finicky to start when it's cold out, but other than that they're pretty good bang for the buck.

$1500 will get you a nice machine with a Honda engine, I have a Troybilt with the Honda and am completely satisfied with it, personally with your budget I would stay away from used, don't know why people are always suggesting used.

Used will save you about 25% in this area. I see ads on CL listing a couple year old 22-28 ton for $800-$1000, usually Speeco. There are some deals out there, but they get scooped up quickly this time of year. Reasons to buy used may include added accessories, it's all set up, full of hydraulic oil, a chance to trial run it, no taxes, and more machine for your money. On the flip side though, you need to establish the REAL reason they are selling it.

If you go with speeco (huskee) i would definitely buy new just for fact of the warranty. They are good units but some have had problems with them and TSC stand behind them and will help straighten them out. I have the 35 ton model and had problems with the love joy connection. They replaced the splitter with a new one. So far so good it is a beast of a splitter and i love it. Just my opinion but saving a couple hundred dollars on a used one is not worth it when you are not getting a warranty with it.

Last edited:
If you go with speeco (huskee) i would definitely buy new just for fact of the warranty. They are good units but some have had problems with them and TSC stand behind them and will help straighten them out. I have the 35 ton model and had problems with the love joy connection. They replaced the splitter with a new one. So far so good it is a beast of a splitter and i love it. Just my opinion but saving a couple hundred dollars on a used one is not worth it when you are not getting a warranty with it.

Agreed. When you can find a nice, obviously cared for unit for $600-800 then used is fine. Speeco makes a good product, but I would only buy those new and then set them up myself. Too' many hands in the cookie jar otherwise.

Thanks for your replies. I plan on buying new. I've read about the B&S engine issues and would prefer a honda engine. I've followed the DHT thread and I am impressed by the owners responses to issues raised here.

Be careful with used SpeeCo splitters. There have been many models assembled over the years and they all don't have the same components. Some had really slow cycle times, which can be annoying. In general, the new models have the better times.

+1 on this splitter; I have one and it has been great. Splitters are a little like chainsaws, 90% of users do not need professional grade equipment.$3K, $4K, even $2K is a lot of money for a slitter that might get 15 or even 20 cords of wood a year in my opinion. I spent right around $1000 for the troy-bilt that I have and it splits 14-16 cords a year and it has held up just fine.

Last week the Huskee was on sale, $999 with the 49.95 log tray thrown in free, may still be on. I used to have a Bliss two way splitter, it took 40HP to run it. It would snap an 8 to 10 inch log in half side ways like a tooth pick. There is no way I could keep up with what that machine would do, now that I'm 57, not 27. The Huskee 22 has split every thing I put on it. In the first couple weeks I split and stacked 4 full cords. Two cords of big Hickory, no problem. I can get free wood from the family business also. I've used a 38 ton Huskee and this little machine has done every thing the big one did. As you can see, I'm very happy with mine. In the second pic you can see the hickory was pretty good size. The only thing I had to do was cut a 3 inch thick cookie to put on the foot so the wedge would go all the way through. Way to stringy to pull apart, Joe.

If you decide to go with the TSC Huskee splitter, I would stay with the 22 ton B & S. Lotta bang for the buck, the engine is fine with 5W-30for the cold months, and an NGK plug. The extra $ for the 28 ton with the Honda really is not a big step up. Its a Honda GC as opposed to the Honda GX. The 32 ton is probably overkill for homeowner use, and they seem to develop leaks over time.
I think the 22 ton is still on sale for $999. with a free log catcher. Good luck with which ever brand you get.

I would buy either the 22 ton husky/speedco or the Ariens 27 ton splitter with a subaru engine Ariens 169 cc 27-Ton Gas Log Splitter-917001 at The Home Depot . Having said that I own a yard machine 27 ton with a Honda, same as MTD/white/cubcadet/troybuilt splitters, which I found used for a steal of a deal and it has split everything I put in it. I would not have purchased it new. The honda has been a nice motor except for the carb getting gummed up and not being able to clean it and get it to run good. I purchased a new carb for $25 off amazon.
the husky has the worst engine out of the 3 I mentioned but the best price and a rugged design.
I feel the ariens is the best splitter I mentioned.
And I wouldn't buy MTD new.

I personally would consider used but it would have to be a deal, many people in my area try to sell for more than they purchased after they used it for 3 years and split 50 cord.

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, I am going to have to put the splitter on hold. Wife called me today and a water pipe in the basement broke. Drywall, carpet is a mess. Plumber told me I should replace the pipes due to the fact we are on well and its original plumbing (50 years old). Its always something.

Check out the North Star splitters if you have a Northern Tool store nearby. The "I" beam seems more heavy duty then others and there is good protection over the Honda engine. I also like the design where the wedge wraps around the upper beam flange rather than the flange wrapping around the bottom of the wedge. This is just a personal preference, but the bark and chips just fall off the side of the beam rather than having to constantly clean out the trough on the other style that wraps around the wedge. The cast steel wedge seems like a good design in that it helps keep the wood from riding up the wedge during the split. They offer a 4 way wedge/adapter also. They are not perfect. The hoses seem pretty cheap and I had the pump fail on mine, but the service center in their store took care of it with no problems. If you do consider the North Star, make sure you search the internet for the best price, as your store should honor that price.

Back