Big hitch of Poplar..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Took this dandy out a few weeks back. Front tires kept coming off the ground on me till I got to where it sits in the pic..it's a slight incline. I think I counted 14 trees in that hitch.

And one of me, glamour shot in the mirror..

hey, you ain't old. well, less I am to lol. good pics, but them don't look like our poplar. we have yellow tulip poplar, I assume you have a different variety. glad to see ya stayin busy.

I never heard a tree quack. Well, I did once, but that was chemically induced.:msp_w00t:

Always known it as poplar. Or, as dad called it, "popple".

I never heard a tree quack. Well, I did once, but that was chemically induced.:msp_w00t:

Always known it as poplar. Or, as dad called it, "popple".

What does the mill buy it as?

Our poplar here is the above mentioned tulip poplar, very very similar bark to ash. very uniform straight grained wood usually, and they are often very nice, very tall and straight, not very branchy trees until way up. I cut some for my morning and fall and spring firewood. Real fun to hand split, just like ash once it is just a teensy bit dried in the round.

Looks like he s cutting quaking aspen. Everyone here calls it popple too. We have quaking aspen and big tooth aspen. There's a lot of different things people call them. Velvet bark, green bark etc. Our aspen market is new page pulp, OSB, specialized crates and veneer. Maybe old timers markets are similar

Last edited:
Took this dandy out a few weeks back. Front tires kept coming off the ground on me till I got to where it sits in the pic..it's a slight incline. I think I counted 14 trees in that hitch.

And one of me, glamour shot in the mirror..

Ya know I had this image of some nearly washed up geezer that maybe should have retired 2-3 years ago but was to stubborn and thought he was to tough to throw in the towel... and then theres this pic of ya and it looks like yer still in your 30's...

thats a real impressive turn by the way.

Ya OT ; that's a big turn of popple. We used to sell it in 4' lengths by the cord delivered to the pulp mill in Oldtown Maine. My dad got 19$a cord delivered. Loggin and loadin the truck by hand with pulp hooks.
Trailer behind farm tractor or on a converted ton and a quarter old Chevy truck
Called a jitter bug. .
Our "Log" truck was a 2 ton, 60 series Chevy with a 235 , 6 and a 4 speed with a vacuum splitter rear end. We could haul 5 cord per load. In the winter. 4 cord in the summer when the sap was up.

Lotta hard work. Not much money. Gas was 32¢ a gallon.

Ya OT ; that's a big turn of popple. We used to sell it in 4' lengths by the cord delivered to the pulp mill in Oldtown Maine. My dad got 19$a cord delivered. Loggin and loadin the truck by hand with pulp hooks.
Trailer behind farm tractor or on a converted ton and a quarter old Chevy truck
Called a jitter bug. .
Our "Log" truck was a 2 ton, 60 series Chevy with a 235 , 6 and a 4 speed with a vacuum splitter rear end. We could haul 5 cord per load. In the winter. 4 cord in the summer when the sap was up.

Lotta hard work. Not much money. Gas was 32¢ a gallon.

dad talks about doin that same thing when he was in his teens. totin pine pulp out on ya shoulder, had to be awful work. why do we ever complain? we got it good with nice saws and log skidders and loaders.

It goes for pulp up in Maine. Not sure of the mill, but they buy pure loads of poplar for more money than mixed loads.
I am 46 come April.
My dad used to truck wood back in 57-8-9, and he loaded 4' poplar by hand.
He'd always go home with a load at the end of the day, and hit the road @ 4AM to go to Berlin.
Then, come back, load up, go to Berlin again.
Then come back, load up, and go home.

This load went out @ 103,000 pounds gross. He was down on the rear stakes by 18".

Ya know I had this image of some nearly washed up geezer that maybe should have retired 2-3 years ago but was to stubborn and thought he was to tough to throw in the towel... and then theres this pic of ya and it looks like yer still in your 30's...

thats a real impressive turn by the way.

I'm still pretty scared of him. Great looking work, and great stories from Tramp, TS and OT. Thanks guys:cheers:

We have quaking aspen, big tooth apsen, and white aspen (3 main types of merch aspen). Big tooth can make some decent sawlogs. Its all called popple. Cottonwood is in the same family, but a different tree altogether. Usually a ditch or lowland tree not typically found in the woods. Yellow (tulip) poplar is in a family of itself of ancient lineage.

Yep I've read about lots of hand cutting, peeling, and hand loading of popple back in the 30s, 40s, & 50s in northern Wisconsin. There wasn't much left after the big cut and it was either move west to log, farm, or cut pulp.

Amish will buy popple bolts around here for about $120/cord. Otherwise the pulp will go for around $100/cord at the mill. $70/cord as firewood.

Almost impossible to identify that as quaking aspen or balsam poplar by the photo. In Alaska the balsam poplar, quaking aspen and black cottonwood will naturally form hybrids in some areas.

Back