Dolmar 7900 - Falling (HD Videos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapitaineHaddoc

European Westcoaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I did some cutting videos with my new Dolmar 7900, I just share them with you, and hope you like them!

I'll make some other vids after my vacation, with larger trees I hope!

The cutting technique may seem strange, but we have to cut this way here, it is an obligation.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_mep-WjANxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vNl-YbO53YM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And thank you to everyone who help me when I build this saw! (And to all those who shared their experiences on this forum)

Humboldt makes the trim off the log less. I think it's easier to put Dutchmen and other fancy cuts in with it.

All that walking around the tree with the short bar makes me tired. :msp_tongue:

Humboldt makes the trim off the log less. I think it's easier to put Dutchmen and other fancy cuts in with it.

All that walking around the tree with the short bar makes me tired. :msp_tongue:

Thanks for correcting me on that. Yeah I think the Humboldt cut is used more in the PNW where they use long bars.

Thanks for correcting me on that. Yeah I think the Humboldt cut is used more in the PNW where they use long bars.

It is used a lot more out there than back east. I like it to use it for everything I fall.

In the first vid you crossed your fell timber with what you fell. . ?????? . . I would like to take a grinder and a flat file to your chain. You had plenty of speed and power. Just needed a sharper/ hungrier chain. But all in all nice looking work. How many tank full of saw gas do you burn in a typical day. How many hours do you put on the saw per day.
I wish I was as skinny as you. I could fit into those cool looking cutting pants and jackets you guys wear in Europe. They look pretty comfortable and well made. . Ground looked steep enough that corks would be an asset.
It looked like your saw has a stack filter on it. ? Aftermarket??

Hey this is my 3,000 th post on Arborist Site.

Last edited:
The 7900 has that filter setup available. I would like to see it with a 28" b/c in that same wood.

If it lasts it should be a good saw for that size timber. . I wonder if he's running a 7 or 8 tooth sprocket. ?
I put a 36" on my 681 Solo. The main case couldn't take the strain. And it had other problems. But when it ran it had good speed and power. It was under filtered IMO+e.
I didn't know France had conifers.
Captain. Do you actually "like " haddock ?
How does the 7900 compare with the 372 Husky or the 440 Stihl in your experience. Plusses and minuses. ?

Thank you guys, that's a lot of answers!

Right action! Is that a 16" blade?

It's a 18" bar.

In the first vid you crossed your fell timber with what you fell. . ?????? . . I would like to take a grinder and a flat file to your chain. You had plenty of speed and power. Just needed a sharper/ hungrier chain. But all in all nice looking work. How many tank full of saw gas do you burn in a typical day. How many hours do you put on the saw per day.
I wish I was as skinny as you. I could fit into those cool looking cutting pants and jackets you guys wear in Europe. They look pretty comfortable and well made. . Ground looked steep enough that corks would be an asset.
It looked like your saw has a stack filter on it. ? Aftermarket??

Hey this is my 3,000 th post on Arborist Site.

I work 8 hours a day with this saw, and I use about 7 l of gasoline. The chain does not cut so badly, but the wood is harder than it seems, at this altitude it grows slowly and branches are particularly hard when you limb. Security clothes, it is true that they are now very good. My favorite pants are SIP Innovation II. It is the world's lightest model. Fiber protection are the same as those of tractor's synthetic cables.

The 7900 has that filter setup available. I would like to see it with a 28" b/c in that same wood.

I tried it with a 28 "bar/7 sprocket. The saw runs very well, but I'm not that kind of tree limbing with a such great guide, and the car is too far away to take a second saw.

If it lasts it should be a good saw for that size timber. . I wonder if he's running a 7 or 8 tooth sprocket. ?
I put a 36" on my 681 Solo. The main case couldn't take the strain. And it had other problems. But when it ran it had good speed and power. It was under filtered IMO+e.
I didn't know France had conifers.
Captain. Do you actually "like " haddock ?
How does the 7900 compare with the 372 Husky or the 440 Stihl in your experience. Plusses and minuses. ?

The 7900 has much more torque and power than the 440/372. Its only real flaw is that it uses more fuel. It is very light for this power, and anti-vibration system is almost as good as the 372.

Great vids. What brand of axe is that?

It's an old "Ochsenkopf" axe, made in Germany.

The saw sounded great!

What are the numbers plugged into the jug?

What numbers?

Nice change to see a european faller showing how we do things over here.
We like short bars for easy handling and saving your back, and as explained by the OP, we have lots of hardwoods that are hard on the saw. And with some good falling techniques, there's a lot you can do with a short bar.

For those who like good axes, Ochsenkopf (German made, of course) is about the best quality you can buy over here. But hold on to your wallet.

Latest posts

Back