Let's see your 2014-15 wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You asked for it

attachment.php

I'm ready to go I just hope it's seasoned by then.

Last edited:
Just cut this 80' tall Maple down from my neighbors front yard yesterday and today. I'm guessing 4-5 face cords after split. That is normally what I go through every winter.

Living in the city sucks, I'm running out of room to store wood until I bring this years in and refill racks.

Had my other woods logged off a few weeks ago, won't start cutting most of the tops until this winter after the leaves brown down. Had to cut one red oak top up to get it out of my corn and clear the road though. Here is the start of 2015. The woodshed is almost full for 2013-14. 14 cords total when full to the rafters.

P5180237.jpg
Cedar

P5180239.jpg
Oak

Bob, do you loose stack or did an earthquake rip through your area?:msp_razz:

Loose stack. My wood piles are laid out so the prevailing wind hits them sideways and with our hot summer weather they dry out fast.

I know, I know...some of you guys like to have pretty wood piles, and some of them are damn near works of art, but I'll settle for off the ground and dry.

Loose stack. My wood piles are laid out so the prevailing wind hits them sideways and with our hot summer weather they dry out fast.

I know, I know...some of you guys like to have pretty wood piles, and some of them are damn near works of art, but I'll settle for off the ground and dry.

Personally, I like the looks of your stacks.

As for the pretty ones, well, mine are almost there. :msp_unsure: I had to cover them due to the relentless rains we were having though. Anyway, those two piles are my 2014/15 through 2017/18

IMG_1026_zpsc857ed34.jpg

IMG_1616_zpsa5c5de71.jpg

Personally, I like the looks of your stacks.

As for the pretty ones, well, mine are almost there. :msp_unsure: I had to cover them due to the relentless rains we were having though. Anyway, those two piles are my 2014/15 through 2017/18

Those are nice stacks. You must have a lot more free time than I have. :)
I usually get oak in the early Spring when we start logging, split it as quick as I can, and loose pile it as shown in the picture. North or south winds hit the stacks straight broadside and by winter it's ready to burn.

Neat Stacks...I may have to try that.

Thanks! :msp_biggrin: The pile to the left is considered a hugelkultur. It has all punky rotted wood on the outside, and filled with yard debris and more rotted wood. Then topped with a layer of dirt and a handful of flower seeds. Then some Hyacinth beans around the bottom and more flower seeds.

The other round piles are Holz Miete's or Holz Hausen's. They're not hard, but do take time to put together simply because there is a lot of wood in them. The two (center and right) hold about 3 cord each. And, though they are touted as drying wood faster than regular stacks, where I live they seem to be drying about the same as the 3+ cord I have stacked in the shed.

My first one ever is the 3rd one all the way to the right. My second one in the center, I got a bit creative!:msp_w00t:

Those are nice stacks. You must have a lot more free time than I have. :)
I usually get oak in the early Spring when we start logging, split it as quick as I can, and loose pile it as shown in the picture. North or south winds hit the stacks straight broadside and by winter it's ready to burn.

Well, I am retired I guess, but if I'm not out riding around the country, (never did make it to the left coast this year) I'm fixing up my place. I generally do all my felling during the fall and winter months, sometimes into spring. Last season was my first year burning so I made sure to have enough firewood cut, split, and stacked to be a few years ahead. I'm almost ready to start again this year. Loops are all sharpened and added a couple of new ones in anticipation of at least a half dozen more difficult fells. I really don't want to have to change loops or saws in the middle of a tree, least of all during the felling (back) cut.

BTW, I'm really considering making a couple of videos of my felling at least one high risk tree to post on here. One camera on my helmet, and the other on a tripod. That will be the next tree! It's a black birch schoolmarm about 32 to 36 inches across and figure about 80 to 100 feet in height. Forked about 10 feet up and heavy on the left backside. I believe it's hollow or at least half rotted inside since I hit it a few times with the backside of an axe and the sound wasn't right starting at about 4 feet up. And it's on about a 30 degree slope. No worries though, I will take the necessary precautions. Then y'all can see how an old lady does things! :msp_w00t:

Back