Help with a tree ID please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldoaktree

Reaction score
Hello, I am having a bit of trouble identifying this tree. I've included pictures of the leaf, bark and shape and we are in zone 5 hardiness area. It's in a suburb of Chicago. Any information is greatly appreciated!

in the shape picture, the tree is the large tree forked at about 5' on the left side.

View attachment 312943 Shape

View attachment 312942 Leaf

View attachment 312944 Bark

Has an opposite branching pattern, hmmm ... looks like lilac. Any notable flowering or seeds?

Yep. I'm going with Catalpa, Northern seems like the most likely candidate.

Do a closer exam of your tree, using this as a guide: Catalpa speciosa Fact Sheet

Could be a royal paulonia: Paulownia tomentosa Fact Sheet
or a dragon tree: Paulownia fortunei Fact Sheet
They look a lot like a Catalpa until the flowers are on. Bark is considerably different, though.

Cut a twig in two, a Catalpa has a solid pith, the others do not.

When you post a pic please include a common item of known size for reference, a circle of cardboard with the diameter clearly written on it works well.

Leaves are not catalpa, not red bud, not hackberry, possibly tree of heaven but not a variety I have seen. Shape of tree looks like tree of heaven but trunk doesn't.

Just found a good pic of northern catalpa. Leaves match, so I'll guess that's it!

Last edited:
Thank you do much for the replies so far!

When I'm at that tree again I'll break out the books once more and use the info you guys gave me and keep trying for that Id. I've also got another picture on the way that will clearly show the leaf scale, that is a great piece of advice that I didn't think of.

I'll also let you know when I get a positive id.

Anyone can show how does Catalpa really looks

There have been a number of links posted that show what a Catalpa (and other trees) look like. You may not be familiar with how to spot a link, so please follow up on this post. You will be missing out on lots of information if you don't learn how to spot a link.

You should see the link in a different color of text within a post (green on my computer), and your mouse should change into "pointer hand" when mousing over a link (unless your mouse icons are configured differently). Click on the link, and your browser will either open a new window, or you will be taken off this thread to another site, where you will see the pictures, along with lots of other helpful information.

Be sure to learn how to use the "back" button to return to ArboristSite for further reading.

That is why I try to post something from an ID key. They list leaf size, bud configuration, all kinds of ID stuff. Since this is Arb101, I think it is appropriate to show the newbies everything they should be looking at.

Well it would seem your all wrong it is a mature Katsura tree ,
a8u9yhy9.jpg
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOL you are weak at ID, I thought there were pros helping these threads , seems in 18 posts ya couldn't get it right , guess i will have to take some time and check in around here some more

Last edited:
Well it would seem your all wrong it is a mature Katsura tree ,
a8u9yhy9.jpg
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOL you are weak at ID, I thought there were pros helping these threads , seems in 18 posts ya couldn't get it right , guess i will have to take some time and check in around here some more

Not even close! Check leaf shape and edge.

Back