John Deere Grapple bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon B.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there an affordable JD quick-attach grapple bucket available for a firewood cutter? I burn ~12 cords per year but like to cut a bit in advance, so will be bucking 15-20 per season. Picking up logs with a standard loader bucket is a genuine pain. Using a chain is better, but sloooowww.

Having a grapple to load the trailer or to use for bucking would make my life much easier. The cost, though is a bit hard to take for some manufacturers. are there reasonably inexpensive models out there that will fit a compact utility tractor (4600 HST with 460 loader)?

I may end up welding my own, since I'm a cheap bastage...

Jon

I doubt you'd even be able to read half the grapple threads on TBN before another model hits the market. They're just like anything else, from really cheep to really nice. Good luck, and post pics when you get to mounted.

Im getting ready to do the same thing. I found several different options with a quick google search. I think Im going to just build one that attaches o the buck or I might build a root bucket with a claw. I need to figure out the third function on the remote - either bend over at the JD dealer or figure it out on my own

I have the extra hydraulic valves - 2 of 'em - on my 4600, so just need hoses and a cylinder (or two).

Attachments International (I think it is) claims to have a grapple to fit an existing bucket but their web-site doesn't allow much navigation...

I'll keep searching. Lots of them exist for skid-steer loaders.

Jon

View attachment 313874View attachment 313875

This one is 60" quick attach and weighs 470#...for light duty tractors. I'm selling this one at the end of the season for a bigger 84". I want to say I paid 900 bucks for it.

$900??? Tell me where to find one, please! Most of 'em start near $2k that I've found. For under a thousand, I'd jump on it - hard.

You loader appears to be mo' bigger than the 460. I have the JD quick-attach but looks to be quite a bit smaller than yours. My tractor is ~40hp

What's the brand on yours?

Jon

Im getting ready to do the same thing. I found several different options with a quick google search. I think Im going to just build one that attaches o the buck or I might build a root bucket with a claw. I need to figure out the third function on the remote - either bend over at the JD dealer or figure it out on my own

i see you have a 5400 from another post , why dont you just run either hard line, or hose from the rear remote, up the loader arms then quick connects on both ends, when you put the grapple on just plug in the hose to the grapple and the hose to the remote...
actually maybe not, that would probably be a ##### to operate since the remote is controlled with the same hand as the loader valve...
also it may be cheaper to plumb up your own 3rd function??

we had a 97 5400 power reverser trans with a loader, and i dont think a 3rd function was available from the factory, bought it used in 99 so maybe it just wasnt available with the current loader valve we already had??

$900??? Tell me where to find one, please! Most of 'em start near $2k that I've found. For under a thousand, I'd jump on it - hard.

You loader appears to be mo' bigger than the 460. I have the JD quick-attach but looks to be quite a bit smaller than yours. My tractor is ~40hp

What's the brand on yours?

Jon

http://armstrongag.com/Prodimages/BGR.pdf?#view=Fit

Yes I have the H260 loader..its a monster loader that's for sure. My tractor is 75hp. I got the grapple for my small Mahindra, but I've upgraded to a JD 5075M recently. Now this grapple is the lightweight version at the bottom of the ad coming in at 470#. My Mahindra would only lift 1700# and I didn't want to get too much grapple and not enough log. I am thinking of getting the 86" version next year and trading this one in. Since the teeth close together and touch, I can pick up really small branches too. I also use it to pull t-posts out of the ground. Its that precise. Pushing a pile of limbs, they will roll inside the grapple until you're full and then you just close the lid. Plus you can grab a log and pick it up to buck it up.

Also, I have to have an adapter to get this to work on my JD loader. The grapple is a skid-steer quik-attach, while the loader is a JD 500 series hookup. Not sure how your loader is made, but adapters are available.

You can even make this work without a 3rd function. My Mahindra didn't have a 3rd function and I used the dump-curl hoses once I had the grapple in the right place. It's not as good, but it worked 90% of the time anyway.

Last edited:
Jon B, check out my thread titled "My firewood tools". Last couple of pages have some pics of a grapple I just bought in Michigan at Repocast.com I'm not a fan of the one I bought, make sure you get one that will do what you need. I think I paid 1400 or something for it. They also have smaller cheaper ones.

A set of forks is probably the cheapest alternative. Personally, I havent found a grapple much more beneficial than forks. Forks are longer and no hoses to get pinched.

I have the same JD 4600/460 setup. I started with pallet forks because I needed them for pallets (duh), but they have been moving brush and logs just fine. Do I want the brush/root grapple? Heck yeah! It's not in the budget...yet.

I went with the 42" version of this model:
Construction Attachments Std Frame John Deere Pallet Forks

Tree, all you need is the grapple top Jon b just bought, and pin it on and off your forks you have.

I am slowly ramping up towards a Binge Sawfirewood Weekend, and have been thinking about it for a while.

I have an RC 30,

....and a good aftermarket (NLA) rootrake with top clamp, which collects logs well, even holds a bunch of 8- 16" logs at a time to buck out of and thats cool, no bending over....

I have factory forks, and they suck. Bascially have zero roll-back in them, in the roll radius. Could dig straight down if I want, and I can shake out logs from tops while felling. but, carrying them around? Not off road.

The thing that sucks about the graple is the four foot width, and all the metal its made out of. I wind up with the two cuts I can't make on every log I got squeezed in it.

Forks are adjustable in width, ya know? If I only had the top clamp, I could put the forks at about 12", and get my whole "grapple" cut into rounds in one pick.

View attachment 315759View attachment 315760View attachment 315761View attachment 315762
Tree, all you need is the grapple top Jon b just bought, and pin it on and off your forks you have.

I am slowly ramping up towards a Binge Sawfirewood Weekend, and have been thinking about it for a while.

I have an RC 30,

....and a good aftermarket (NLA) rootrake with top clamp, which collects logs well, even holds a bunch of 8- 16" logs at a time to buck out of and thats cool, no bending over....

I have factory forks, and they suck. Bascially have zero roll-back in them, in the roll radius. Could dig straight down if I want, and I can shake out logs from tops while felling. but, carrying them around? Not off road.

The thing that sucks about the graple is the four foot width, and all the metal its made out of. I wind up with the two cuts I can't make on every log I got squeezed in it.

Forks are adjustable in width, ya know? If I only had the top clamp, I could put the forks at about 12", and get my whole "grapple" cut into rounds in one pick.

Imagine being able to cut every round out of the log at perfect 16". I have other pics of two of those Red Oak Logs at once in Pedro, left overs from milling I didn't get to. They were good dense rounds, despite what the lack of bark might lead you to believe. View attachment 315763

Last edited:
Is there an affordable JD quick-attach grapple bucket available for a firewood cutter? I burn ~12 cords per year but like to cut a bit in advance, so will be bucking 15-20 per season. Picking up logs with a standard loader bucket is a genuine pain. Using a chain is better, but sloooowww.

Having a grapple to load the trailer or to use for bucking would make my life much easier. The cost, though is a bit hard to take for some manufacturers. are there reasonably inexpensive models out there that will fit a compact utility tractor (4600 HST with 460 loader)?

I may end up welding my own, since I'm a cheap bastage...

Jon

Forgot to answer the OP's first post.

...and to poke at ColorMongers.

Affordable? John Deere? Do you hear yourself? See signature, then go grab your saddle.

Forgot to answer the OP's first post.

...and to poke at ColorMongers.

Affordable? John Deere? Do you hear yourself? See signature, then go grab your saddle.

Good answer! :msp_biggrin: I do wish the JD loaders had standard skid-steer attach plates instead of their proprietary fittings. Yeah, adapters are available but then I can't use the original bucket w/o rebuilding it. Maybe I should, anyway. The JD-to-skidsteer adapter is dumb; adds weight and expense. Taking off the JD attachment and pinning on a skid-steer plate is the sensible solution.

Jon

Good answer! :msp_biggrin: I do wish the JD loaders had standard skid-steer attach plates instead of their proprietary fittings. Yeah, adapters are available but then I can't use the original bucket w/o rebuilding it. Maybe I should, anyway. The JD-to-skidsteer adapter is dumb; adds weight and expense. Taking off the JD attachment and pinning on a skid-steer plate is the sensible solution.

Jon

pssst.. here is a secret JD doesn't advertise.. They sell those top loops and bottom pins to weld to your own projects. I built my own forks for logs and they sold me the attachment points.. Buy what you want and weld these brackets on.. :msp_wink:

s1uall.jpg
got this one new on ebay 1250 .00 freeshipping

Back