EAB in CT Further Quarantines???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know there's a bunch of CT residents on this board so I figured I'd share the joy.

Talked to the local State Forester and he told me Emerald Ash Borer infestations have been found in Hartford, Fairfield, and Litchfield Counties. Though not yet in effect, it is highly probable that firewood and other wood products from those counties will be quarantined along with the current quarantine in New Haven County. Whether transport of wood across the boundary lines from one infested county to the next will be permitted is still up for debate.

Based upon the growing spread of the EAB and close proximity of the Asian Longhorn Beetle in neighboring states, a lot of pressure is being put forth to step up enforcement of carrying the Self Issued Certificate for Transport of Firewood for non-infested counties, and extending the use of the EAB Specialized Permit currently needed in New Haven County to those counties newly infested.

He was telling me in effect, just be sure you have your document(s) with you when you're trucking any wood from point A to point B.

Lot more info can be found here:
CAES: Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis)

Take Care

I'm not sure about up in CT, but down here in PA, they do not have near the resources to police this. It is essentially a lost cause. If you are selling more than 500 cords per year, then they may keep an eye on you, but that is about it. I am just waiting for a flat out requirement of kiln dried unless you are certified by the government.

Enforcement?

No way. The State of CT is just going to stop a couple poor, unsuspecting shleps driving home with a load of wood just cut at his relatives and arrest them for not having their self declaration paperwork. They will call 3 or 4 TV news crews to blow the whole thing up and out of proportion and then just nail the snot out of the poor selected few in big $ fines to make a huge example and get their message out.

Non of this will do any good however. The real key is to get the prevailing winds to blow from east to west instead of the opposite, but our Governor is working on "Parting the Waters" first before he takes on such a simple task as reversing the earth's rotation.

Take Care

Enforcement?

No way. The State of CT is just going to stop a couple poor, unsuspecting shleps driving home with a load of wood just cut at his relatives and arrest them for not having their self declaration paperwork. They will call 3 or 4 TV news crews to blow the whole thing up and out of proportion and then just nail the snot out of the poor selected few in big $ fines to make a huge example and get their message out.

Non of this will do ant good however. The real key is to get the prevailing winds to blow from east to west instead of the opposite, but our Governor is working on "Parting the Waters" first before he takes on such a simple task as reversing the earth's rotation.

Take Care

Aint that the truth...Malloy and his fellow idiots are a waste of space. Ugh, i'll keep my mouth shut lol:taped:

There's only 8 counties...and if half of them are already infected, the point to a county-by-county quarantine is? Keep it from Rhode Island for another year?

I wouldn't switch to wood pellets yet, most firewood remains local so it shouldn't drastically affect the heating wood supply in a given area unless you're deep in gold coast. Hopefully all the affected counties will be allowed to trade with one another, and/or go to a mileage based system like New York.

Though they may declare trucks capable of carrying one-cord or more high capacity and mandate you don't carry more than 2/3rds of a cord when in public. :help:

There's only 8 counties...and if half of them are already infected, the point to a county-by-county quarantine is? Keep it from Rhode Island for another year?

I wouldn't switch to wood pellets yet, most firewood remains local so it shouldn't drastically affect the heating wood supply in a given area unless you're deep in gold coast. Hopefully all the affected counties will be allowed to trade with one another, and/or go to a mileage based system like New York.

Though they may declare trucks capable of carrying one-cord or more high capacity and mandate you don't carry more than 2/3rds of a cord when in public. :help:

My supply use to be Berkshire county Mass, they are under quarantine too, so I agree about the county-by-county deal????

I agree with the lost cause argument, you probably won't have to worry about it in another year. I don't live in the Northeast but here in Northern Illinois the quarantined counties were blown over by EAB before they went into affect. My guess would be that it's already in Rhode Island...

I know there's a bunch of CT residents on this board so I figured I'd share the joy.

Talked to the local State Forester and he told me Emerald Ash Borer infestations have been found in Hartford, Fairfield, and Litchfield Counties. Though not yet in effect, it is highly probable that firewood and other wood products from those counties will be quarantined along with the current quarantine in New Haven County. Whether transport of wood across the boundary lines from one infested county to the next will be permitted is still up for debate.

Based upon the growing spread of the EAB and close proximity of the Asian Longhorn Beetle in neighboring states, a lot of pressure is being put forth to step up enforcement of carrying the Self Issued Certificate for Transport of Firewood for non-infested counties, and extending the use of the EAB Specialized Permit currently needed in New Haven County to those counties newly infested.

He was telling me in effect, just be sure you have your document(s) with you when you're trucking any wood from point A to point B.

Lot more info can be found here:
CAES: Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis)

Take Care
That's hilarious!!

Not the bugs, the goobermint!

establish quanrantine to stop spread of bugs in firewood!
Issue permit, which *magically* stops spread of bugs, as firewood gets hauled around!

Magic piece of paper!!

Ya'all got some smart bugs up there, they can read!

Reminds me of "gun free zones", mr. badguy reads the sign and obeys! Well, it must work, I mean, official gov approved signs and stuff...

uh huh

So moving firewood from a quarantined county in Mas to a quarantined county in CT, traveling through only quarantined counties along the way is OK right??? Or do I need to fill out one of those "permits"? :help: :msp_confused: :help:

DEEP: Regulation on Movement of Firewood

Here's the state self-certified permit: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/forestry/eab/firewoodtransportationselfcertifcation.pdf to avoid the potential for harrassment and fines.

According to that link, at this time there is no official prohibition on out of state firewood if I read that right -- you're just "asked" not to import it (and we have those nice new "Welcome to Connecticut, Firewood Permit Required" signs at the state lines)

You can move firewood within the four western counties (New Haven, Fairfield, Litchfield, Hartford) with just a self-signed permit.

You can move firewood from four the eastern counties to the west, again under the self-signed permit.

You can't move firewood west to east w/o have CAES issue you a state-signed permit, i.e. kiln dried.

I'm not sure about up in CT, but down here in PA, they do not have near the resources to police this. It is essentially a lost cause. If you are selling more than 500 cords per year, then they may keep an eye on you, but that is about it. I am just waiting for a flat out requirement of kiln dried unless you are certified by the government.

I don't think the PA forestry folks even care...if they did they would have asked me why I was trucking wood over 50 miles from a state forest to my house, they even gave me the permit and asked where I lived. Most of the PA parks folks have been significantly hindered by budget cuts.

I think I read that they have detected EAB in a couple western PA counties. I often wonder if they have ever actually proven that its spread by moving firewood?? I know its illegal to move in Ohio, they have signs posted to stop you...:laugh:

Beginning March 1, the new MA quarantine restricts hardwood firewood, ash nursery stock or untreated ash lumber from leaving Berkshire County, MA where the emerald ash borer was found last summer in trees in Dalton, less than 20 miles from the Vermont border. In Massachusetts, surveying found five infested trees within a two-mile radius of where the beetle turned up in Dalton. That might indicate the infestation is isolated, but federal officials are hesitant to endorse quarantines in areas smaller than a county, said Nate Seigert, a U.S. Forest Service entomologist. Read more: DCR Site Help

I spoke with someone at DCR and he affirmed the above statement that wood cannot leave Berkshire county ,even if heading to another "infested" area. I don't know how much enforcement is out there, but I'm not willing to be made an example of.

Last edited:
Enforcement?

Non of this will do ant good however. The real key is to get the prevailing winds to blow from east to west instead of the opposite, but our Governor is working on "Parting the Waters" first before he takes on such a simple task as reversing the earth's rotation.

Take Care
:clap::clap::clap:

we have them at my place, killing off about 6-7 last year and I just found 4 more dead this weekend. Not even in a named county. EAB is bad but I make maple syrup and am very concerned about the Asian Longhorned Beetle. They would be a major economic issue for my bank account.

Last I heard in ky they were going to "quarantine" the whole state because it's just silly to keep moving it county by county. All it does is make it harder for loggers to move loads. The tourist from Ohio bringing in their own fire wood was still happening(which is how it started to begin with)

Blame ALL THIS on the FEDS/EPA.

They are the arsewipes that let these things into the country in the first place.

Now they are letting "children" a.K.a. CRIMINALS into the country with no health screening or inoculations. I'm a LOT more worried about that than a beetle

Back