Stihl 026 fuel leak and tuning issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Livin

I DON'T EVEN BURN WOOD
Reaction score
I have an older 026 sitting on my bench that has a fuel leak when running and seems to need to be tuned after it warms up. I can get the saw to start and there is fuel slowly leaking and building on top of the tank. I pulled the fuel line and that seems to be good but I haven't tested it yet as I am just ordering a mighty vac kit. I pulled the carb and when I reinstalled it the barb fitting that goes into the impulse hose seems to slide in easier than the fuel line slides on, is this normal or worn? Also when I got it running I had to adjust the carb to get it to run and idle properly. After I got it warmed up and restarted it I had to readjust the carb again. I'm thinking I should just start off with new fuel line and rebuild the carb but is there something I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd try the $.50 worth of fuel line to start. If that doesn't work, then rebuild the carb. If fuel is leaking, its likely the fuel line. Had it on my 290. Fuel line was actually something like $8 for the stihl pre-formed thing. Not sure what the 026 line looks like.

I just picked up an 021 that ran like a champ but quickly developed a problem running and fuel leaking at the top of the tank. Turns out the fuel line was cracked at the bend just above the fuel tank. Remember that the ethanol in the fuel these days takes its toll on the rubber parts. It is even harder on old rubber parts. Because of the size of the hole in the fuel tank ( for the line pass-through) you are pretty much limited to either replacing the hose or fabricating something to make generic fuel line connect to the molded hose. Inevitably the original will crumble and you will be replacing the hose so you might as well do it right the first time (don't ask how I know that...).

Ok I rebuilt the carb tonight and now it seems like its starving for fuel. If I get it to start on full choke it will die out right away. Not sure where to go next. Any advice.

Here is a picture of what I'm thinking is the tank vent but I've never seen one like this so I'm not sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 52
Ok I rebuilt the carb tonight and now it seems like its starving for fuel. If I get it to start on full choke it will die out right away. Not sure where to go next. Any advice.

Here is a picture of what I'm thinking is the tank vent but I've never seen one like this so I'm not sure.

Yes that's the tank vent. It should pull straight up and off. Looks like the little screw on the top isn't there either...

Yes I took the screw out to make sure nothing was plugged in the vent. Tore the saw down tonight as it seemed to have more flex in the av buffers than I thought it should. Going to replace the av buffers and reassemble it and make sure nothing is pinched and see what happens. I have access to another 026 that I can pull apart to see if I can pin point the problem. Is there any chance I could of but the clip that holds the needle and spring in place up side down.

Yes I took the screw out to make sure nothing was plugged in the vent. Tore the saw down tonight as it seemed to have more flex in the av buffers than I thought it should. Going to replace the av buffers and reassemble it and make sure nothing is pinched and see what happens. I have access to another 026 that I can pull apart to see if I can pin point the problem. Is there any chance I could of but the clip that holds the needle and spring in place up side down.
too much flex in buffers caused my impulse hose to calve only after i removed it did I find the leak inside one of the folds.

Latest posts

Back