Woodstove insulation??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmboss45

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Three years ago I bought a wood burning insert for my fireplace and am using it as my primary heat source in the winter. It works great, but I am wondering if I can make it more efficient. There is about a foot of open space behind the stove, as well as open space on either side of the 6 inch S.S. liner going through the flue. Is there a material I can fill these gaps and spaces with? What are some of you guys doing, if anything???? Maybe I am putting too much thought into this, but seems like a lot of heat is being lost up the chimney.

Ceramic wool installation is what you need. It won't catch fire. Expensive, but works great. I use it for the same purpose you intend to.

is the liner insulated? do you know how to instal a block off plate?

No offense but are you sure that you know what you are doing?! As far as I know inserts are designed to have air circulate around it to bring the heat INTO!!! the room. This is done either active by a fan or passiv through convection(hot air goes up cool air follows). I would seriously check back on the manufacturer to be sure what was mounted in your fireplace!!!

Is the liner capped at the top of the chimney and the cap sealed at the chimney? Or is the SS flue just dumping into the existing flue/chimney?

The liner is run the full heighth of the chimney and capped at the top. I cut the flue door out to run the liner as was specified by the manufacture, I am thinking that a lot of the radiant heat off the stove is going in to the dead open space up the chimmney and behind it.

No offense but are you sure that you know what you are doing?! As far as I know inserts are designed to have air circulate around it to bring the heat INTO!!! the room. This is done either active by a fan or passiv through convection(hot air goes up cool air follows). I would seriously check back on the manufacturer to be sure what was mounted in your fireplace!!!

I have a Napoleon wood burning insert. It has dual blowers on it that bring in room air and circulate it back through the ducts in the stove, back out into the room. I am wondeing if I am losing a lot of radiant heat with the dead space behind the stove and up the chimney

Back