Best gloves to split wood with

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damato333

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a hard time finding gloves that I like to use when I split wood. I am looking for waterproof, warm, high dexterity, and very very durable work gloves. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have found that those cheap rubber dipped palm gloves from menards last longer than any leather glove, and only cost 2-3 dollars a pair. The only problem is, when its warm, they soak up the sweat. I can get a good weekend, sometimes two out of them though.

I need ones for the winter. I rarely ever split wood when its warm out. I don't think I take being next to a hot engine when its 90 degrees out.

I am looking for waterproof, warm, high dexterity, and very very durable work gloves.

Good luck with that!!

I gave-up on waterproof... unless you like rubber trappers gloves.
Warm and high dexterity... yeah, right, warm means insulated, and insulated don't mean high dexterity.
Durable... Kevlar and Ballistic Nylon gloves are highly durable, but they're lousy for handling firewood 'cause they're too damn slippery.

I just buy 6-packs of uninsulated leather work gloves when I see them on sale cheap... and a roll of duct tape.

I have a hard time finding gloves that I like to use when I split wood. I am looking for waterproof, warm, high dexterity, and very very durable work gloves. Anybody have any suggestions?

"Atlas Fit" knit with latex palms are the most durable I've found yet. Excellent grip and feel with maul, axe, or chainsaw. In a few months, I'll try some "Atlas Thermal Fit" for winter. Others here recommend them highly. They cost less than a few bucks each, by the dozen, at Amazon. When they get really filthy, I just toss them in the washer- can't do that with leather.

The waterproof part would make them fungus incubators.

The best pair? One that fits the left hand and one that fits the right hand. That is a problem once they come home and are dispersed or have ridden around in the pickup a while. Gloves go to the same place that socks go to, I guess.

I use these:

Kinco® Insulated Gloves with Knit Wrist, Reflective

How did I choose them? Funny you should ask. Some random utility contractor left them in my yard. But they're great, and when these wear out I'll buy the same ones to replace them.

I've used those. For firewood, they last me about a day, the leather is much too thin and fragile. The palms are fine but the fingers wear through quickly.

Home Despot 5 pair for five bucks, cotton with rubber palms/fingers. I use them for everything except fencing. Great grip on wood and axe and chainsaw handle bar. for a buck a pair they last amazingly long.

I haven't tried the atlas thermal fit, similar built, more for colder weather. but still cheap.

Several times mentioned here are "hulkster" gloves, but I haven't tried those yet either. google search will find those.

Atlas Fit for summer and Atlas Thermal Fit for winter time. I find the Atlas brand holds up best. The rubber on the atlas gloves will wear through eventually. Most of the other dipped gloves I find the rubber separates once they get wet.

I agree with the atlas gloves being the best available. I get weeks of everyday use doing tree work out of a pair, great dexterity and grip. The thermal fit atlas gloves are plenty warm for working in the winter I'm all but the coldest weather. Check out wesspur , they have atlas fit gloves for $30 a dozen and thermal fit for $48 a dozen. A dozen lasts me a year or more and I wear them every day.

If you use the solar pickup glove drying system too many times, the Atlas gloves get brittle. If you throw them in the metal box in the back of the pickup, they seem to liquidize a bit and will stick to the box. The box had a mixture of tree marking paint, oil, sawgas, and spilled Pepsi along with unknown things coating it.

I've tried just about everything out there. The latex dipped gloves are the best gloves for the $ spent on them. Out of that category, Atlas are the cream of the crop. Can usually get a few weeks daily use (landscaping/tree work/firewood production) before the holes get to big/they get to brittle/smell so bad the dog won't go near them.

My experience has been leather glove fingertips wear thru in a day of hard work handling firewood where the atlas gloves last weeks ! And of all the latex dipped gloves I've tried the atlas r the highest quality, last s lot longer n fit way better than the others I've tried. Try some and u wont b disapointed :)

My experience has been leather glove fingertips wear thru in a day of hard work handling firewood where the atlas gloves last weeks ! And of all the latex dipped gloves I've tried the atlas r the highest quality, last s lot longer n fit way better than the others I've tried. Try some and u wont b disapointed :)

I really like the Youngstown gloves I've got from baileys.

I have the Kevlar, the antivibe, and a pair of insulated waterproof for winter.

And the antivibe does help.
And the insulated waterproof are excellent too, used them one day when it was about 4 degrees c, sleeting and an icy highland wind blowing.

But I was warm in a combo of drizabone, nylon Stihl zip chaps and gloves plus husky helmet.

Latest posts

Back