Hacked again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, you guys might want to consider using more "hardened" passwords for your online banking than you do for your forum passwords. Honestly, my password on here is a joke, but any password connected to money or one of my own servers is 10+ characters with mixed case, numbers and special characters. The hackers can have my weak forum password, but it won't do them any good on anything else I do.

That's a good post. A good AV is fine, but thinking about what you are doing is even better!

They probably purged the entire file system, did a clean VB install, then restored the database. (This was probably a good move.) That means all skins went away for now. They will probably have to rebuild the green skin, just to be safe.

Something like that, now it looks like any other vBulletin based forum, that hasn't been customized. :givebeer:

Well I feel iffy about even trying to post, but my bank called me about something, and I was not to happy, but they're on the ball so I'm OK!! Y'all best change you're passwords daily if you use the site right now, that all I have to say.
You seriously put any info about your money on a computer?
It be like"easy come easy go"
Seriously

Hey, this is great to read about you guys again. I have been out for three weeks. Bought a neat yellow Dolmar and couldn't show it to anyone.:msp_biggrin:

Folks could leave, but where are they going to go? I've yet to find anywhere else with the consistent base of knowledge and activity as this one...even during all the crap that's been going on.

It's been back to normal for me for the last day at least.The only thing i had to do was disable javascript.Sometimes i had to try and find a way in through a different way but i don't know of an option to what AS offers on one site.
They will have to pry my gun out of one cold hand,and my chainsaw out of the other and the computer will be logged on to the Arborist Site:rock:
Long live AS
Thomas

I'm not a computer nerd and I don't know anything about hacking.

But, it seems that who ever is doing this is being quite persistent. Or, is it some kind of thing that once embedded, is refusing to leave?

It just seems strange that a person(s) would continue to attack this site time after time.

Well, I am a little more 'puter savvy than I am chainsaw savvy, but not by much, so I'll throw in my two cents...

This site was/is compromised. Most likely targeted due to the fact that it has a relatively high user base and visitors. You see, the redirect will (potentially) make money from every user that tries to access this site, and happens to click on the crap ad link... That's how site ads work... Typically the payout is a set amount per user hit. It's not very much, a few cents maybe per hit, but with thousands of users on a daily basis it could add up...

That being said, your personal info is most likely not compromised, since the hackers don't care about your log in name, nor your password. They don't care about your advice given concerning chainsaws. In fact, even if they logged your username and password, the most they could do is log into your account here, which typically contains nothing of value... I mean, you don't have your Visa number and expiry date as your sig, right?

It's always a good idea to run an up-to-date antivirus program on your 'puter, which should signal to you if something funky is trying to enter your system that shouldn't be. It may even just auto-block it, or a port, so you wouldn't even know.

Coles notes? Your accounts are fine, the hackers don't care about you nor your account, the Administrators of this forum are probably pulling out their hair trying to fix the issue, and when all is said and done they'll wished they hired a pro to set up initial network security, and to possibly maintain it also...

WOW I can post!!! for now. Honestly people can defend the site all they want, but I've had issues with my computer since this started, + a few other things I'm not going to talk about here, this goes deeper than most think IMHO. If this doesn't get resolved soon I'm done myself, it's simply not worth the trouble. My .02 take it for what it is.

If anyone had full javascript acceptance on their browser the first time this site got hacked, and they went through the redirects, etc, yes, there was a possibility of getting your own machine nailed.

Not saying that is what happened, I do not know one way or the other, but it is a typical way that people get their own machines compromised on the net. It has happened millions of times to people over the years.

Javascript (and other scripts) calls are a nice way to add features to any website, but they add to the vulnerability potential as well.

AS will work it out id say hang in there...In the meantime myself I will keep surfing the net and AS with no antivirus ,the last time I had one of them I had nothing but trouble with my computer and that was about 10 years ago lol...They can have my Id and zombie my little old computer and pay my bills but the hackers dont seem interested in that bugger.......I feel so compromised not!...but then I dont have anything that leads to money on my personal computer......

Actually..it could. When a home computer is taken over, one that has a good persistant net connection, they are used for sending email spam, engaging in click fraud, or further other attacks. A botnet of home computer zombies can be used for a denial of service attack, designed to crash another large sever setup/website/ system, sometimes making it vulnerable for code injection then, or for other purposes.

Having an unprotected home computer could be described in quasi technical legal terms as "maintaining an attractive nuisance". Close enough anyway to be described like that. It not only can hurt you, it can be used to hurt others. And you could very well not know it is happening.

Quite literally, someone could be complaining about website A being hacked, and in the background at that very same second, their personal machine could be being used to hack site B, or send out thousands of spam emails.

This is why it is important for people to learn some about their machines, make sure they are properly updated, learn about safe surfing, how to actually use a browser correctly (it's a tool, it needs some interest and self training to be used properly like any other tool, acquire more skill, it is safer and more useful to the person), etc, so you don't accidently become part of the internet malware and bad stuff problem.

just a bit harsh...

Yes...but I tire of the winners, complainers, and fear mongers that act like someone owes them something, when they've contributed nothing. We're all here by our own free will, and it doesn't cost most of us anything. Put yourself in the site admin's shoes, paying for and trying to fix this problem, and then listen to the complaining.

Last edited:
Yes...but I tire of the winners, complainers, and fear mongers that act like someone owes them something, when they've contributed nothing. We're all here by our own free will, and it doesn't cost most of us anything. Put yourself in the site admin's shoes, paying for and trying to fix this problem, and then listen to the complaining.

Well said. We've all been spoiled for a long time with an efficient and trouble free site that doesn't cost us anything. We took it for granted that it would always be that way. Even with the current problems it's still the best resource site anywhere.

The owners, admins, and techs are doing the best they can. We need to give them the credit they deserve.

A lot of the chronic whiners and crybabies have moved on to other sites...and they use those sites as a platform to launch criticism of this site. We're better off without those people. We get new members signing up every day who want to contribute something meaningful. Let's concentrate on helping them and let the malcontents play their childish games somewhere else.

Yeah, this has been an annoyance for most of us. But I'm sure Darin and company have been pulling their hair out trying to get things right. They actually have to find the solution, not just wait for someone else to fix it like the rest of us are doing.

The owners, admins, and techs are doing the best they can. We need to give them the credit they deserve.

I agree Gologit, but I wonder why they couldn't have informed us of their efforts and given us some reassurances.

Go to Facebook (if you have an account) and search for Arboristsite Fan Club. Darin has been posting updates there.

Latest posts

Back