Locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok my first thought is honey locust but the leaf size and shape isn't quite right, the wood color isn't right for honey locust and the bark is a little too "potato chippy" for honey locust... so what is it?

Attachments

• CAM00031.jpg
    CAM00031.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 155
  • CAM00028.jpg
    CAM00028.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 158
  • CAM00029.jpg
    CAM00029.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 145
  • CAM00030.jpg
    CAM00030.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 147
Sure looks like black locust to me. High density, burns long & hot once thououghly air-dry, but routinely needs a few sticks of more volatile wood (e.g. sugar maple/ash) mixed in to keep the flames "happy."

Last edited:
NOT black locust or honey locust.

We have both black and honey locust and I agree it's definately not black locust. The bark kinda reminds me of honey locust but I can only compare to nursery varietys of honey locust. The wood color is way off for black locust and is several shades different than the last known honey locust I cut up. The leaves are the most off, too large and too pointy and not enough of them on the sprigs. There were some seed pods in the area that were somewhat locust like, but not the long string bean like ones on black locust - these were short and thick. Should of snapped a pic of those too.

I've had somebody guess Black Ash but I don't think so.

Not locust. I 2nd cherry, or I guess 3rd. That bark looks nothing like the locust I have but looks like the cherry I have.

Last edited:
Not locust. I 2nd cherry, or I guess 3rd.

There is plenty of black cherry trees in the area, some less than 50ft away. Not black cherry.
The bark pattern is close to black cherry but too light. Black cherry wood has very distinctive color and smell.. this is not black cherry.

The wood has tight growth rings and is quite heavy - moisture content is high, much higher that what you see in green black locust.

not

i have both types.not locust.the leaves look like a cherry. but the bark looks like butternut?k

I cut and split a lot of locust and cherry this year and those pics really don't match up with anything I've got in my pile. Could be a different variety though.

It is Kentucky Coffeetree. Found some of the seed pods and that clinched the ID. Suprised to find it, didn't think any was around here. There must be a dozen more in the immediate area. Supposedly on par with red elm btu wise.

Latest posts

Back