Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad, I must've been thinking of the rear discs and I forgot about the NV5600 upgrade as well. I was on CF but got tired of all the smoke switch posts and retarded threads. CompetitionDiesel is where I've been spending much of my time now.

I should have redone my trailer to be a gooseneck instead of a 5th wheel honestly. But I can't complain, my trailer has really impressed me with how well it takes loads. I really really need to weigh it sometime just to see what it weighs loaded.

You forgot about the leaky vacuum pumps on the 24 valves. I had a quad cab short bed 01 with the 5 speed. It had the overloads on it and I thought it rode pretty good. The 11 3500 SRW I have now rides as good or better than it though.

Never had an issue on mine. Granted it only has 108,000 miles on it. But now that you brought it up...

Every 12 or 24 valve I had leaked oil on them. I changed the seals on one of them and it leaked worse. I guess the seal wasn't the same as the old one. The common rail engines are much better at not leaking oil. That's one thing I don't miss about the older 12 valves of everything underneath soaked with oil to the rear bumper. :dizzy:

Here's my wood hauler. Its perfect for what I need. I built some removable wooden sides for an old ladder rack and now I can get 1.5 cords in the box. Its an '89 F350 with the kingpin Dana 60 front and 4:10s. The entire truck cost less than a new low end splitter.

Attachments

• IMAG1036.jpg
    IMAG1036.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
Yeah, well it gets the job done. Its an old DNR truck so its the "stripped down" model with vinyl floors, manual windows, and locks. I like it that way. I found the ladder rack at a scrap metal place for $50 and used some brown treated decking to use for the sides. They are removable so I can still load wood from the side. Here is a better picture of the rack.

Attachments

• IMAG1037.jpg
    IMAG1037.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 93
Don't think I have posted mine. Its very nice to not have to unload by hand.

We had one very similar, 454 under the hood with a 4-spd. 4x4. It had a 10 foot dump bed, would have been a great firewood hauler. When dad took it to auction, it sadly only got him like $1500..

Now he's got a newer Ford with turbo diesel, seems like a nice truck but I wish we still had the old one!

164444_697053310309811_479696658_n.jpg

Heres another one of our wood haulers, I was getting a load of Ash that was standing dead, ended up filling that trailer to the brim, 2 spark plugs fouled out and I still got the load out of the woods on the remaining 2 cylinders.. :)

1187246_716735325008276_910058368_n.jpg

Last edited:
snip...

Heres another one of our wood haulers, I was getting a load of Ash that was standing dead, ended up filling that trailer to the brim, 2 spark plugs fouled out and I still got the load out of the woods on the remaining 2 cylinders.. :)

1187246_716735325008276_910058368_n.jpg

That old Farmall could use a Pertronix electronic ignition and coil. Lots hotter spark than points, and not too spendy. My M starts much better now with one.

Pssst - the handguard is on backwards on your Echo...

That old Farmall could use a Pertronix electronic ignition and coil. Lots hotter spark than points, and not too spendy. My M starts much better now with one.

Pssst - the handguard is on backwards on your Echo...

I know the 400 is converted to 12v but I'm not sure if it's still points or what. We try to keep things stock around here, our M is completely stock, still 6v and magneto and it runs awesome.

I was filling up with gas and bar oil, ;) I don't run it like that, lol.

I just looked and wow! It has been over a year since I've come around. A lot has happened in that time! I wore out the truck in my profile pic and could have patched it up but decided to upgrade my hauler. In Sept I bought a new to me 95 F350 crew cab dually flat bed. Major upgrade! Now I got room for more wood and more people to help! It is a 460 5 speed. First thing I did was take all 4 mud tires off Old Red and put them across the back of the newly acquired Battleship. Next was wood sides and then a couple of under the bed boxes to hold all my gear.
Old Red hadn't been tagged since 06 due to some issues with passing inspection! I never thought the old girl would last this long and I usually make round trips of about 10 miles off the beaten path. Since buying the Battleship I've hooked up with a guy at work that knows 2 tree service guys and he has so far hooked me up with several loads of wood, full loads!! Oak, Maple, Locust and Mulberry, most for next years supply.

my new buddy helping out with box install

Latest posts

Back