How I improved my shaver boiler model 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the custom rebuild! Too bad it didn't come from the factory that way. I was a little disappointed in the insulation job that the factory had done. It will be interesting to see your wood consumption for this year. Hope it helps!

Great job on the boiler rebuild while I would like to do exactly as you have I don't think this boiler is worth investing that kind of time and money into... I have got five years out of this boiler so far it will probably take me another 2 to 3 years to get the new one finished . I would be interested in hearing how much wood you are saving with the better insulation and also how your temperatures are now with over 50 gallons of water holding capacity.. The only question I have is with your water jacket Filled,are you going to put an expansion tank (no pressure just vented on top )on top of the threaded nipple you just cut in the roof of the boiler? keep the water level at the bottom of the expansion tank that way when it gets pretty hot it won't spill onto the ground and the water can refill the tank once it cools off a little

Nice work! I added a secondary air tube on my furnace. I started out with 1/8" holes about an inch apart. I found they didn't flow near enough air, had to drill em out to 1/4" and that is with -.05" H2O draft, you likely have much less draft. I bet you will find that it will work good if you upsize the airline to 1", maybe even 1.25" or 1.5" and enlarge the holes to 1/4" or 3/8"
I wish I had used 1" line instead of 3/4". If you notice on wood stoves, they put a lot of air through those secondarys, especially if you take into account the small size of the firebox comparatively. Too bad you don't have any way of seeing how well it is all working with the door shut! (I had the same problem, so I added a small (1.5") viewing port to my door)
Just a lil FYI for ya, use it if ya want, otherwise ignore it. Again, nice job! :clap:

Last edited:
Back