Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new to me didier splitter

I bought this splitter yesterday(hopefully my photos upload) and surprisingly it started right up.Unfortunately it doesn't have any power and the piston moves slowly.There's a leak in the pump and I believe that's the problem but I can't locate a direct replacement.Could someone advise me the best one to use? It has a 6.5 hp honda motor.Could the problem be something else?I hate to just start changing parts,that gets expensive quick! Also if someone could send me the manuals I'd really appreciate it.My email is [email protected] .Thanks in advance

I've sent the manuals to your email address.

Pump failures seem uncommon on these splitters. A leak in the ram is more likely. It might be worth a fluid change just to see if that helps before you get to the expensive parts.

I thought the same thing,no had problems with their pump but the oil is definitely coming from it.I will take you advise and change oil,perhaps debris is blocking something.

The pump on your machine is either a MTE or a Delta which look similar. The pump can be replaced with any brand 2-stage pump of the same gpm, the mounting is standard with only a difference in port location.

It seems that 11,13 and 16gpm are possible replacements.Is there a benefit to using one over another with a 6.5 hp motor?thanks

The 11 or 13 will work but the 16 will require a bigger engine. The 13 will be slightly faster than the 11 but you will hardly notice.
The majority of the steel body pumps are made in the US. The aluminum body pumps are imports.

I took the pump off and going to check with a local shop about rebuilding it.If not I'll probably by an 11gpm speeco .Thanks for all the input and the manuals!

These 2-stage pumps are not considered rebuildable. Do not pay over $150 which is high. 2-stage pumps of the same gpm are interchangable on 99% of all log splitters from Timberwolf to MTD.

The 11 or 13 will work but the 16 will require a bigger engine. The 13 will be slightly faster than the 11 but you will hardly notice.
The majority of the steel body pumps are made in the US. The aluminum body pumps are imports.

Just thought I would make a mention that the 16gpm (@3800 rpm) on my splitter is run by a 5.5 hp B&S... And it runs it easily. The crossover to high pressure is 500 psi and my system pressure is about 1800 psi. Other brands of pumps will most likely be harder to turn since they have higher ci / 3600 rpm for the 16gpm rating.

Didier spliiters

Hi all - I have an old Didier MF splitter. The collar that holds the ram lever just broke. It is the piece that has two allen screws holding it on and is stamped with the part number 4Z4306. I think it is cast aluminum and I may be able to get welded but would prefer a new part. Had this machine since the 70's and except for having to replace the engine and a hose this is the first solid part to go. Thanks!

Going through the thread I see where several people have manuals for the Didier MF series splitters. I found one on line but the graphics are just horrible. Has anyone got one they can provide?

Thanks, John

Guys, have a question. I heard a snap today while splitting wood and a quick look seems to indicate the prongs on the universal joint (if that's the right name for it) connecting the engine to the pump (on the pump side) have sheared off. Any advice on what to do with this problem? Do I need to replace the pump or can a new joint be fitted and where can I find one of either?

Thanks all!

That connection is called a lovejoy or a spider joint. It's a common item, available at Tractor Supply or the like. You likely will need to replace both sides (pump and engine) and the rubber spider in the middle. It's likely that the shaft size on the pump and the engine are different, so it's best to take the original off before purchasing so you can measure. Tractor Supply calls them Nova Jaws.

I ended up cutting mine into a bunch of pieces to get it off the pump shaft. Nothing else was getting that thing off.

Hope that helps!

TSC in my area didn't have them - I got mine at Grainger. I don't recall the part numbers as we have a local dealer so I took my old parts in for new fit ups.

Hampton1825 they are telling you correct. If TSCompany doesn't have them, try Northern Tool. They are not very expensive. They come in all shaft sizes, so take your broken one with you or measure it to see what size shaft you need. You will be back in business in no time and not much cost.

Do you know what I think happened? A few weeks back the Nova Jaw that was on my Predator engine was loose...and the rubber bushing (spider) must have fallen out and I didn't realize it was there. I only ran it twice before it shattered the cogs on the pump side of things. I bet it was bushing. Daggum it.

Back