372xpw vs. 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive cut alot of firewood in the last 30 yrs but most of my experience has been with 60cc and under saws, what saw would I need to pull a 28 in. bar like it should, mainly interested in Husky saws but would consider Stihl... will the 372 pull a 28 in. bar..? The saw is only going to be used to cut up big butts from logging, most 36 in. or better around, mostly oak/hickory and beech.
The 372XPW is an awesome softwood falling saw, which will handle a 32" in pine just fine. If you are not lugging the saw around, and are cutting mostly 36" hardwood, I would shop around for a 385 or 394 if'n you want husky. 390's and 395's are too pricey used for me. A good 394 would be perfect for what you describe. You also need to take oiling ability into account, which the 394 has in spades

BTW, Rounder has prolly put about a trillion board feet on the ground with a 372, so he will know better than any what they can and can't do

I have not been active here for a while due to an injury. That said, I have owned 365's. 372's, one ported, and two 372 XPW's with the 75cc cylinder, one of them ported.
The XPW is a powerful saw, but I would not put one in 36 inch hardwood with a 28 inch bar.
In my opinion, it would work the saw hard, and then there would be the issue of oiling the bar, and I like to see plenty of oil on the bar and chain. They cost too much to burn up with too little oil.
I would go one step up if I were going to work with 36 inch hardwood.

thanks for all the replies guys will look for a 385 or 394, saw is not going to be lugged thru the woods, will drive up to the butt pile or log and cut it up most times...

I never thought the 372 was slack on oil with a 28". They will pull a 28" decent. Ported they will pull it fine in hardwood. An 80-90 cc saw will pull a 32-36" and oil it plenty.

I never thought the 372 was slack on oil with a 28". They will pull a 28" decent. Ported they will pull it fine in hardwood. An 80-90 cc saw will pull a 32-36" and oil it plenty.

I usually keep the oiler turned down a bit on my xpw with a 28". No problems in soft wood. I actually just ditched my 390 in favor of a ported 562. The 562 plus the xpw do anything I need. I'm still a firm believer that a damn sharp chain is the true replacement for displacement.

A ported 562 is a fine saw. Probably runs a 24" just fine.

A ported 562 is a fine saw. Probably runs a 24" just fine.
I pull a 28 skip-tooth with my muffler modded 562 without any problem. I have not done any felling with it yet but I'm pretty confident it has enough grunt for whatever I may have to normally cut.

Sam, what's the full wrap like on the 562? I got to handle JakeG's 562, and either I'm incredibly strong, or that saw is tiny for 60cc. Who ported yours?
Sorry for the third degree, I'm toying with the idea of a red and black ported 562

Sam, what's the full wrap like on the 562? I got to handle JakeG's 562, and either I'm incredibly strong, or that saw is tiny for 60cc. Who ported yours?
Sorry for the third degree, I'm toying with the idea of a red and black ported 562

I guess it's not a true full-wrap, it's a 3/4 like stihl does. That said, I really like it, especially since it's heated. It does feel like a toy.
Mine was ported by some local guys who do all my stuff....I think about 60 years experience between the father and son.

All and all, I'm really impressed with the saw.

To the OP.....The XPW sounds like the way to go, and they are still my first all around choice. I've knocked down some big damn ****ing wood with those saws.

I pull a 28 skip-tooth with my muffler modded 562 without any problem. I have not done any felling with it yet but I'm pretty confident it has enough grunt for whatever I may have to normally cut.

Maybe you are not running it with the bar buried in 36" hardwood?

My 372 oiler are far from maxxed out with a 24", so 28" shouldn't be a problem at all for the oiler. :givebeer:

I don't know whether the oiler on the 372 is the same as the 385, but the 385 oils fine on the 28", but starts getting stingy north of that. The 394 oils the 42" buried with no problem

I'm not sure where this obsession to run the longest possible bar on each saw comes from. If the task at hand is a 36" hardwood, then I would choose my ported 385 or 2188with a 24". The felling would not matter and would only have a couple of the bucking cuts from both sides. The saw simply comes alive with the shorter bar. I have a 32" and 36" but could easily live without them.

Latest posts

Back