Am I a wood hoarder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a owb last fall and have not stopped cutting since. I have been fortunate to know a lot of people with down trees that don't burn and I feel like I have to stock up while I can. I built a 14'x32' wood shed over the summer to stack it in and I don't think it will be big enough. The wood under the tarp is seasoned from last year and is what I'm burning now. I think I have enough in the shed already for next year and at this point I'm cutting for 2 years out. The trailer load I just cut today and still have to put in the shed. I'm wondering if I will stop once the shed is full?? IMG_20131129_141511_019.jpgIMG_20131129_141526_382.jpg IMG_20131129_132828_657.jpg

I got a owb last fall and have not stopped cutting since. I have been fortunate to know a lot of people with down trees that don't burn and I feel like I have to stock up while I can. I built a 14'x32' wood shed over the summer to stack it in and I don't think it will be big enough. The wood under the tarp is seasoned from last year and is what I'm burning now. I think I have enough in the shed already for next year and at this point I'm cutting for 2 years out. The trailer load I just cut today and still have to put in the shed. I'm wondering if I will stop once the shed is full?? View attachment 320315View attachment 320316 View attachment 320317

Nah, I'm not one so you can't possibly be. 80+ cords of Black locust in 6 stacks, this winters supply already in the porch/shed. 10 cord willow (8 of it for sale). We are just apprentices.

Harry K

... I'm wondering if I will stop once the shed is full??
If you did stop cutting I'd worry about you. :D

The only reason we don't cut more than two years ahead is this climate. It's very damp and lesser firewood will rot after a couple years of setting. Now, if we had a lot of good stuff to cut...

FAD is a good thing. If you didn't have it, you'd be cutting a pickup load ahead of the boiler. That would be bad.

When I had a woodstove I would've looked at that trailer load of wood and figured two more of those loads and I'd have enough wood to last all winter. Now, with an OWB, I look at it and figure two more of those loads and I"ll have enough wood to last all month. Kinda funny how perspective changes things... I also look at that load and figure "at least none of it needs to be split".

Your exactly right cheese cutter. I have a little Vermont Castings wb in the house that I could probably fuel for the next 10+ years with what I've got cut, but I didn't like feeding it every 3 hours at night.

Abso-friggin-lutely not. You intend to use the stuff. A hoarder just has it to have.

A wood whore on the other hand, yup. (I didn't say it was a bad thing, just that you can't get enough!)

I agree CTyank, but I piled up that wood before I built the wood shed then didn't feel like moving it all

Well, pretty soon you will need another shed..and to cut costs, make your own lumber with like a chainsaw mill..but then you get all these extra slabwood pieces...might as well cut to size and stack...whoops, need another shed....

I don't burn as much as ya'all with boilers, but I plan on more stacking until I keel over. Up off the ground and stacked correctly, good wood will last a long time.

I think you are right on track where you need to be buddy !! Love the pic of the trailer full of wood with the chainsaws on top BTW !!

If you don't heat with, cook with, sell or otherwise use firewood, yes, you are a hoarder.

Thanks for your infinite wisdom! A month or so ago my Wife and I were walking through our yard. We walked around my piles of wood and she stops and looks around and says "Your a wood hoarder"! I just read your post to her but only got an raised eyebrow! Thanks!

Y'all are WOOD WHORES! N I'm still a Wood Nymph! One can never have or get enough wood! (or beer) :givebeer: :D

I have 14+ cord cut split n stacked with 10 of those cord being stacked in the yard. Some people have those little gnomes n other things decorating their yard. Me, I have my wood piles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back