Thanksgiving Has Passed........What's On Your Bench?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I have a extremely low hour MS660 with a scored P/C.
Please excuse my ignorance but I haven't worked on a lot of Stihl's.... What is the reason for the plastic fins on the flywheel? Is it desirable? Has Stihl changed that model much or not really?

One of them dang Quakes. Had it mostly tore down for "research", just got it back together still stock.

Gonna get some baseline times this weekend, then start "fixing", probably till I wreck it.

ebypazem.jpg

Dog and cat got tired of waiting for me to finish:

ezepumyn.jpg

Well the saws that were on my bench are now under my bench waiting for parts. I saw one of those parts in that first picture! It's probably done by now, THANKS Randy! By Tuesday, I'll have the part for the other saw from weedeaterman. You all are a great team!!

Right now I have a extremely low hour MS660 with a scored P/C.
Please excuse my ignorance but I haven't worked on a lot of Stihl's.... What is the reason for the plastic fins on the flywheel? Is it desirable? Has Stihl changed that model much or not really?

They went to all plastic flywheels a good bit ago. There's been some chainges but most were before the poly flywheel. It's just going to be a normal 660 when you're done. Now a red light 066 would be more in demand.

028WB that I finally found a pin hole in the new fuel line (after tearing the carb apart 3 times) and a husky 359 with a stripped muffler bolt, and an 029 super next in line. Also all the stuff from putting in 2 toilets, kitchen sink, and a bunch of remodeling left overs....

My freebie 015L tophandle is running and now waits for an air cleaner,filter and choke shut off.Neighbor works the counter at the local stihl dealer and she says they have a large dead stihl pile so maybe.

Last edited:
Old 041 farmboss that I'm just wondering if its worth it? And eagerly awaiting an 044 that should have been here today that fedex said will arrive on monday.

I'm headed to camp tomorrow, so thoughts of antlers and 70cc will be on my mind all weekend.
Good luck wack a big one!

It's not really 'on my bench' but today I am building a roof ventilation prop for the fire department that I belong to using osb as sacrificial material over a 2x4 frame. I get to teach newbies basic chainsaw safety and prober ventilation cutting.

028WB that I finally found a pin hole in the new fuel line (after tearing the carb apart 3 times) and a husky 359 with a stripped muffler bolt, and an 029 super next in line. Also all the stuff from putting in 2 toilets, kitchen sink, and a bunch of remodeling left overs....

It was such a tiny hole, but yet it makes a BIG problem!!!!

Jack of all trades and master of none, if at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!!!

Well, during my little break this week, the newly acquired outboard made it up on the bench.

First was getting to the water pump to replace the impeller, which led to much more than it should have. Stuck slotted head bolts made the job no walk in the park, and one had to be drilled out and retapped..

In order to get to it, the powerhead had to come off.

Had to cut this one out and re-tap it...

But finally got it straightened out.. That metal bolt threads into aluminum inside the water jacket for the cylinders, so guess it had everything going for it to seize...

Next was to get the water pump and check out the gearcase. Had to sacrifice the water pump housing, as this bolt was stuck too. Luckily it turned really easily out of the hole once the pump was off...

Got it all apart and awaiting parts now....

Then tackled the lower unit gears and seals..

First the prop came off, and found this behind it..

Hmm, will say it did bring back some flashbacks of past threads here... :)

Anyway.....

Got the lower unit gearcase off and its draining in the drain bucket awaiting some seals...

So guess am now awaiting several things. My new ultrasonic cleaner from H/F, the 10-10s donor saw, and some parts for the old outboard...

Guess I'll have some things on the bench for a bit.... :)

What kind of outboard is it ? I have aquired a few while scrounging for saws and pressure(coleman) lanterns . Not sure if I wanna start "collecting" them !

Heres the Mercury Super 5 that I love the look of ! Found this on a pile at a scrap yard...can you believe that ? Yay for me though :) Ive never worked on any outboard motor before... Guess Ill have to try . This has spark and comp...just needs a carb clean i think . And a Prop..if anyone has one for this model..Ill be interested !!

Working on a Stihl 024, bought for cheap but am amassing a small fortune in it. No pics yet of the tear down, it's just a box full of parts right now. View attachment 320436
The reason for the complete tear down is an air leak, noticed a lot of corrosion on the bottom so I changed crankcases on the thing. Probably needed seals also so I got a parts saw which had a good case. I'll just clean everything up as I go..

Cool looking Merc!!

Doesn't look used much at all, shame someone would just throw that away. Liking the chrome accents, and does have some nice curves.... :)

Mine is a 1962 Sea King/Gale 5hp.

Was mainly looking for a backup to my Clinton 7hp, which is getting hard to find parts for.

Kind of bought this one as a shot in the dark though, but it had the 6 gal gas can, and all the fittings, which I figured was worth what I paid for the motor.

Something else to tinker on too.... :)

Come to find out it is basically an OMC Johnson/Evinrude 5.5hp motor. Apparently those were very popular outboards, so parts are really easy to come by. Someone had already re-done all the coils/points/condensers and such, and it run beautifully in the bucket, but figured I'd better go through the lower unit.

They are pretty straightforward to work on, finding parts for some older models are easy, some are harder. I was surprised to find that many parts available for my 1962 model, however, I was recently working on a 1983 Mercury 3hp that had came in, I was as surprised to find out how few parts were readily available for it.

Guess it depends on the popularity of the outboard.....

But there are a lot of resources out there to help too, just like here with chainsaws.

Keep us posted on the repairs! :)

Latest posts

Back