Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok fine...here ya go Husk. Dude I couldn't reach my far corner from how high I was cutting...and my short bar...the cut looks like I been smoking crack er something...but since you're bored.

Jon, this shows what I was saying earlier. He changed his gun while trying to clean up a miss. Sometimes that doesn't matter much, other times, it'll really bite you in the nuts.

Since we're posting screw-up pictures here's one that might make Jon feel better. I had to high-stump this P-pine due to it growing in the V of two historic rock walls. It was a heavy leaner and had a lot of head lean.

Mistake #1 was too small of a face.
Mistake #2 was not using a Coos Bay or boring the tree. It was the last tree of the day and I was tired and in a hurry...and that's no excuse.
Mistake#3 was chasing the hinge as far as I did. By all rights that tree should have 'chaired.

I watch this little video every once in awhile...just to remind myself.

Last edited:
It was a hand built rock wall on an old gold mining site. It was probably built by Chinese or Cornish laborers somewhere in the 1850s. When things were slow in the mines they'd often put the men to work building rock walls and fences rather than lay them off.
They were used as property line markers or just to fence in small livestock. They're real common around here but a lot of them were destroyed over the years by landowners and developers after the gold rush.
People have finally realized the historical importance and artistic value of those walls and they take better care of them now. The pine I cut in the video was causing root disturbance to the walls and it had to go.

I actually found a video of one I walked away from calmly. Probably because I was either 1) so tired from smacking wedges that I didn't have the energy to run, or 2) so disgusted with my inability to match cuts, necessitating an unwanted block face that I just didn't care anymore....

Belongs more in the homeowner helpers forum

In all honesty, no one really gives a **** what your cuts look like (except OSHA), as long as the ****ing tree is on the ****ing ground- in the lead. Avoid fiber pull. And don't make bad logs. I try to be perfect, but that's not the end game...wood on the ground in front of yarders is (and I do adjust accordingly) -don't beat yourself up over it, and thanks for sharing.

It was a hand built rock wall on an old gold mining site. It was probably built by Chinese or Cornish laborers somewhere in the 1850s. When things were slow in the mines they'd often put the men to work building rock walls and fences rather than lay them off.
They were used as property line markers or just to fence in small livestock. They're real common around here but a lot of them were destroyed over the years by landowners and developers after the gold rush.
People have finally realized the historical importance and artistic value of those walls and they take better care of them now. The pine I cut in the video was causing root disturbance to the walls and it had to go.

Thanks Bob. I am cutting a large tract I have been calling the "Pumpkin Patch", and it is riddled with walls. There is one wall that I have to get pics of, some of the rocks are as big a car hoods. A 95 year old woman raised on the property said her parents didn't even know who built it. Thanks!

In all honesty, no one really gives a **** what your cuts look like (except OSHA), as long as the ****ing tree is on the ****ing ground- in the lead. Avoid fiber pull. And don't make bad logs. I try to be perfect, but that's not the end game...wood on the ground in front of yarders is (and I do adjust accordingly) -don't beat yourself up over it, and thanks for sharing.

If that ain't the truth! I'm so stump anal -- I'd go hungry buselin'. Hahaha

I pride myself in being a "full hinge faller". The realities are, you need the tree on the ground fast (says the boss) -- and that's where we got stump jumpin' and slicken'em off the stump.

A fast saw, a sharp chain, and not following the 'rules' of falling -- can make you a lot of money. . . Or a lot of dead.

I had a fir, like Bob's pine, last winter -- I shallow faced it and stopped cut'n. It stalled and made a snapping noise. It went over but it was split along my hinge 2' up the tree. How it didn't full-on chair. . . I don't know.

If a guy is gonna do a small to nonexistent face, ya better be prepared to chase it all the way off!

Sent using two cans and a string.

Pac, I've asked this question before but...how does your saw not catch on fire when cutting ...in fire? Do they use saws with metal tanks?? What about them sucking air at that temperature into the motor? Awesome pics! I wish I could see moss like that!

Depends on a lot of factors. How much air the fire gets, and how fast. Is your exhaust fanning the fire, etc.

Thus, that's an area where longer iron shines!

Sent using two cans and a string.

Pac, I've asked this question before but...how does your saw not catch on fire when cutting ...in fire? Do they use saws with metal tanks?? What about them sucking air at that temperature into the motor? Awesome pics! I wish I could see moss like that!
you are not spending a lot of time in the cut stick it and trip it.

I bet they make a like a howling sound huh?

Hey metals406, who on here posted those pics of those stump candles? Like one was cut into in a pattern with a saw ans lit in the middle? What were they called, I want to see another example of one. I founds some fat lighter stumps I want to use.

Back