When do you noodle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to Half or quarter all the big rounds at the cutting site. There's a few benefits by doing this.
1. Much easier on the back.
2. Can pack a tighter/solid load than you can with rounds.
3. Shove all them long noodles in large leaf bags & season them for easy fire starting all winter long.

My boy's a Noodle'n maniac with the 390. Chip off the old block I guess
July 01,2012 @ Tamerack Lake 004.jpg

This is a 4 foot round of oak about 18 to 24 inches across (I forget which) n for poops n giggles I used the x27 on it. Those rounds in the lower right hand corner were my steps to get up high enough to whack the snot out of that round! :eek:
IMG_0572_zps21413b5c.jpg

IMG_0574_zps6f4dbd67.jpg
Making fence rails?

I get a lot of heavy oak rounds and noodle anything that is difficult to lift. Say 2 foot in diameter or larger. Do you think that is too time consuming or should I be using the splitter, which can go vertical?

Making fence rails?
Nope, I just wanted to see if I could split those rounds while still in the 4 foot length. It took something like 17 whacks to crack it, but once cracked it was a piece of cake. Afterwards I cut them into 16 inch sections and split them further. Most of that oak went to build one of my holz hausens. (the one on the left)
IMG_0704_zps19d8a3d1.jpg

Nope, I just wanted to see if I could split those rounds while still in the 4 foot length. It took something like 17 whacks to crack it, but once cracked it was a piece of cake. Afterwards I cut them into 16 inch sections and split them further. Most of that oak went to build one of my holz hausens. (the one on the left)
IMG_0704_zps19d8a3d1.jpg
I like that!! Fiskars ain't gotta chance with these!!!!
qe7uva4e.jpg

30" red elm just laughs at anything less than hydraulic or black powder.

I like that!! Fiskars ain't gotta chance with these!!!!
qe7uva4e.jpg

30" red elm just laughs at anything less than hydraulic or black powder.

I surely can't argue with y'all there. Under those circumstances I'd likely noodle the whole works! I might try splitting at least one round with the x27 just to say I did though! :eek: You never know what you can do till you at least try!

If they're where I can't get em into the bucket of the tractor, I'll noodle. If I can get em in the bucket, they go straight to the splitter.

Unless, of course, I'm just playing with a saw. Then it's gonna be a pile of noodles. Just makes a guy grin sometimes!

If they're where I can't get em into the bucket of the tractor, I'll noodle. If I can get em in the bucket, they go straight to the splitter.

Unless, of course, I'm just playing with a saw. Then it's gonna be a pile of noodles. Just makes a guy grin sometimes!
Yes it does!! 36" noodling is sure fun!!

IMG_0704_zps19d8a3d1.jpg
Beautiful. Looks like a lot of work; does it work? Do you pull it off the way you stacked it for use?

I almost never noodle anything other than rounds with more than one crotch. Double bit ax does most, 8 lb maul takes care of most of the rest. The greater the diameter of the round the easier it is to split. I like to split at the house and haven't ever found a round to big to roll onto the trailer.

Beautiful. Looks like a lot of work; does it work? Do you pull it off the way you stacked it for use?
I have no idea on both questions since I had never stacked like that before. Ask me in about 2 more years when I start to use them.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, I just break the rounds into quarters in order to load them. If they're still to heavy I'll break em further. BUT, I do like noodling. When I'm done there's nothing like laying out in a fresh pile of noodles with just a little chainsaw exhaust still in the air ............ n a beer! ;)

Tomorrow I am spending some time doing exactly what Mastermind showed in Post #19. Lifting monsters onto a horizontal splitter or even rolling them to a vertical splitter and wrestling with them is pointless. My Makita 6401 with a BBK and a 24" bar will gobble them up. Which is more important? My sore back or a tank or two of fuel?

I have found through experience that once the noodles start flowing, you can keep them going usually easier with the bar parallel to the ground. That tends to wear the chain less. Once again, not hitting the ground at the bottom of the cut is very important. So, I generally roll the big round onto scrap cookies.

I also intend to bring an empty cardboard box to save the noodles for kindling. Noodles make great fire starters--even better than shredded paper.

I get a lot of heavy oak rounds and noodle anything that is difficult to lift. Say 2 foot in diameter or larger. Do you think that is too time consuming or should I be using the splitter, which can go vertical?

In the "field" I break down rounds to chunks I can lift (around 100 lbs with top limit around 150). Wedge/sledge unless I am fagged out then noodle. Also rounds with crotches knots. At home I handsplit, rejects from there goto the "splitter pile", rejects there (crotches/knots again) to to "noodle pile".

Harry K

Tomorrow I am spending some time doing exactly what Mastermind showed in Post #19. Lifting monsters onto a horizontal splitter or even rolling them to a vertical splitter and wrestling with them is pointless. My Makita 6401 with a BBK and a 24" bar will gobble them up. Which is more important? My sore back or a tank or two of fuel?

I have found through experience that once the noodles start flowing, you can keep them going usually easier with the bar parallel to the ground. That tends to wear the chain less. Once again, not hitting the ground at the bottom of the cut is very important. So, I generally roll the big round onto scrap cookies.
------------------------
Same here but I don't cut clear through, just hit it with the mall to finish the split, quicker and easier than rolling the round.
---------------------
I also intend to bring an empty cardboard box to save the noodles for kindling. Noodles make great fire starters--even better than shredded paper.

big garbage can sized black garbage bags are good for collecting noodle - there is some chance of spontaneous combustion (damp noodles packed tight). I've got 3 bags of them saved to sprinkle around the splitting area when snow is on the ground - makes for excellent 'footing', no slip surface.

Harry K

Harry K

Latest posts

Back