Damn Snow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The older I get, the more I hate the stuff. We finally got done with work for the season today and what just happens to show up. Thats right, a snow storm :eek: Just yesterday I was walking around my cutting/splitting area saying to myself how nice it is when the ground is frozen and no snow in sight. And being done with work for the winter I would finally have time to get some work done in the woods:chop: I have a pile of rounds to split that would take me a couple of weeks, not to mention dozens of trees I could cut up. Now, if things go as the weather man predicts,(which they seldom do) I'll have 6-8" of snow to contend with. Plus the couple of inches that fell today. I guess I'll prey for a warm up to melt the stuff. But I'm sure that warm up wont take place until sometime in March. I complained to the wife about my predicament but for some reason she just didnt understand. So I figured I'd take this dilemma to someone else who may feel my pain. After all, misery loves company.

You've gotta be used to the white stuff given where you live. Cutting in the deep stuff does suck, we don't see much in my part of Ohio though thankfully.

? some one has been reading my mind?? 6" here yesterday with more on the way(10 new inches tonight) will definitely put the breaks on the cutting and hauling for awhile. with the deepening snow and cold predicted for the next week, I need to order a semi(10 cords) of pine and 10 cords of red oak for a back up! bitter cold the farmers almanac said for the great lakes this winter ..... just maybe true .

I was hoping to get the 2.0 up north and some loads moved on it before we had to deal with winter. The cold snap bothers me more. I've got a deer tag left and white stuff usually pushes them South (well off my property) for wintering. 3F is the forecast high for the weekend. Me and that much cold don't mix. :(

Embrace the weather or go south. Got a snowmobile? Or, if you want to stay or get in shape cross country skis? The latter was great where I lived Up Nort. They even had moonlight skiing gatherings, except it snowed so hard sometimes that the moon couldn't light much. Skis, a warming hut, warm beverages and friends makes the snow and cold fun. Just watch out for that tree at the bottom of the hill where there is a sharp curve...

Embrace the weather or go south. Got a snowmobile? Or, if you want to stay or get in shape cross country skis? The latter was great where I lived Up Nort. They even had moonlight skiing gatherings, except it snowed so hard sometimes that the moon couldn't light much. Skis, a warming hut, warm beverages and friends makes the snow and cold fun. Just watch out for that tree at the bottom of the hill where there is a sharp curve...

..or the top strand of a barb wire fence sticking out of the snow a few inches at the very bottom of a hill...that was not fun......

When temps are below 0, make sure your skis are planted solid before taking a drink of water from your water bottle. Finishing the ski jaunt with frozen hair and clothes was not fun but was memorable.

bitter cold the farmers almanac said for the great lakes this winter ..... just maybe true .
They say the Almanac is 80% accurate. But I'm hoping it's wrong this year.
farms_zps6c0eb486.jpg

N I know how generous all y'all up north are, n us southerners appreciate it, but it would be greatly appreciated if you WOULDN'T share the snow and cold this year (or any other year)

Installing the new stove and processing loads of wood (all for next year) have been all-consuming. I haven't even had a chance to pick up my bow yet. I hope to soon....

School all week and working weekends has dampened my hunting for the last couple years. I have final exams next week and after that I'm hoping to get some time in a tree.

They say the Almanac is 80% accurate. But I'm hoping it's wrong this year.

N I know how generous all y'all up north are, n us southerners appreciate it, but it would be greatly appreciated if you WOULDN'T share the snow and cold this year (or any other year)

Well, I don't mind around a month or so of pretty cold weather with some snow that sticks, centered around Christmas. Helps with the bugs the next year and keeps the plants on their toes better. Nice good dormant season is good for every critter...

ha! Hibernate!

z-z-z-z-z-z-z wake up, throw some sticks in the stove... z-z-z-z-z-z-z

Back