Damn Snow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't mind around a month or so of pretty cold weather with some snow that sticks, centered around Christmas. Helps with the bugs the next year and keeps the plants on their toes better. Nice good dormant season is good for every critter...

ha! Hibernate!

z-z-z-z-z-z-z wake up, throw some sticks in the stove... z-z-z-z-z-z-z
Usually we have our coldest month in January, maybe a little snow but not too bad. I think the most we hard last year in one snowfall was something like 6 inches. and maybe a total of a foot if it all stayed on the ground. It's been in the 40's n low 50's here most of the last 5 days. Heck, my roses are trying to leaf out even after the freeze we had that should have put them to sleep.

I'm with y'all on the hibernate during the cold weather. That's about all it's good for.:eek:

Well, I don't mind around a month or so of pretty cold weather with some snow that sticks, centered around Christmas. Helps with the bugs the next year and keeps the plants on their toes better. Nice good dormant season is good for every critter...

ha! Hibernate!

z-z-z-z-z-z-z wake up, throw some sticks in the stove... z-z-z-z-z-z-z
??"STICKS"!! HECK WE DONT MESS WITH STICKS AROUND HERE ! WE THROW IN A WHOLE TREE AT ONE TIME FEEDING THE OLE SMOKE DRAGON!! LOL

farms_zps6c0eb486.jpg

So... (LMAO)... looking at that map, which of the three is the coldest... "Piercing Cold", "Biting Cold", or "Bitterly Cold"??
Well no matter I guess... "Piercing Cold" with that northwest wind comin' out'a the Dakotas is gonna' make for a miserable winter.

Have ya' ever stepped out'a your vehicle in a blizzard to drain a little beer... and have your eyes freeze open?? LOL

So... (LMAO)... looking at that map, which of the three is the coldest... "Piercing Cold", "Biting Cold", or "Bitterly Cold"??
Well no matter I guess... "Piercing Cold" with that northwest wind comin' out'a the Dakotas is gonna' make for a miserable winter.

Have ya' ever stepped out'a your vehicle in a blizzard to drain a little beer... and have your eyes freeze open?? LOL
See, I told y'all, where your at is the NEW North Pole!

I remember back in 1987 I ended up in such a blizzard and really had to ummm go! I was on a little 2 lane highway, 3 in the morning, in Wisconsin of all places, and trying my dangdest to keep my car (a '74 Cuda) on the road going around this curve. Finally I just had to stop n go.. I stepped out of the Cuda, and held onto the door taking care of business. That was all well and good, but in my haste to cover my bottom when I had finished, I let go of the door n promptly slipped and fell in it! Trust me, my eyeballs might not have frozen open, but they were really wide open at that point.

The amount of snow that fell over the course of a few hours was over 2 feet worth. I was heading to a city called GreenBay and ended up having to follow a snowplow. From there on in, I decided NEVER to go north especially during the winter months.

Last edited:

TRUE THAT! but still not as bad as having your fingers freeze to your beer escape hatch from wet snow....lol

The only part I hate about winter is when we have the deep cold spells. Like this weekend for instance...

I don't do anything outside when it's 0F or less if I can avoid it. I don't like doing anything outside when it's below about 15F. If it would never go below 20F, I'd be in heaven.

...in my haste to cover my bottom when I had finished, I let go of the door n promptly slipped and fell in it! Trust me, my eyeballs might not have frozen open, but they were really wide open at that point.

:laugh:
If it makes ya' feel any better Storm, you're not the first, nor the last lady to experience a snowstorm from that... errrrr... position.
Up in these parts it almost a "Rite-of-Passage"... and always brings a rousing cheer from the other passengers in the vehicle‼

Back-in-the-day a good nighttime blizzard was considered the perfect excuse to cruise county roads in the 4x4 with a box o' beer. My wife, being just a tad bit... shall we say, "rough 'round the edges"... would hop right in the cab with me and one of the "guys". But... before she did... she'd toss something in the back... something she had me make for her... a 5 gallon plastic bucket with the bottom cut out, and a toilet seat attached to the top ('cause she'd earned her wet bottom stripes). When we'd make a "pit stop" she'd jump out and plop down on the bucket... beer in one hand and a smoke hangin' from her lips.

Ahhhhh.... the good ol' days... before kids.
I just don't know what happened to her... she won't even let me smoke in the house or her vehicle now, and ain't no friggin' way she'll let me drive after drinkin' a couple beers‼ It's like... like she grew-up or something :cry:

Just plowed the three driveways this morning. Man, I love that machine!

I do the 96yr old neighbor lady's and did my new neighbors as well since it was going so quick. They just moved in and I don't know if they've got a snow thrower yet.

I am with the original poster here, I just dislike the snow. Cold is one thing, I can always throw on another piece of clothing, but the snow really make doing stuff outside a pain in the rear. About the only thing worse is the fact that the sun is down at 4:30 and it seems that during the week everything I do is done with artificial light. I often times am out chainsawing at the wood pile wearing a head light. Good to hear from some more of my Minnesota brothers.

I was wondering the same thing. Which is worse? I guess the guys in the northeast got it the best, you can fix bitter with sugar, heck I'm gonna get bit! Does this mean a repeat of twenty years ago when it was around -40°f? That was fun. At least I don't have to worry about livestock any more.

And yes, Spider, I've had that problem on those late night snow escapades. But, my wife grew up too. I feel your pain on all those counts, lol.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've passed the big 5-0 and you can keep the snow. I don't want it, don't need it. And I sure as heck ain't going out to work in it unless it's an emergency and I got no choice. Them trees and rounds will still be there when it warms up. :D

About all I'm gonna do in the stuff is walk behind the snow thrower, clearing the driveway and a path to the wood stack.

Aw heck, look on the bright side guys, with the forecasted temps for the next week, we can get out the good wood and crank the stoves up a little. Plenty of - temps for lows in the guesstimate:

brrr.jpg

The old "drift bustin'" with a box of beer,GOOD times, actually i'm glad we did grow up, with the way the law is anymore,,,the Gestapo will break yer heart and bank account!! LOL.
When the weather is miserable cold and the snow is deep, I mostly find myself in the garage, pokin' at the wood stove and tossin' down cold frosties with the likes of Marshall Tucker playing on the stereo,,

"Cold" is relative...
Single-digit temps on a clear, blue-sky day with no wind... I can be outside all day wearing long-johns, jeans and a heavy wool shirt...
On a damp, cloudy, 30° day with a 30 MPH northwest wind... insulated coveralls over the top ain't enough to keep me warm all day.
Once the wind gets to ya' it's over... ya' might just as well head for the house 'cause it's only gonna' get worse... that wind will carry the cold all the way to your bones.
Things shrivel up so tight ya' can't pee... besides, you're shakin' so hard ya' couldn't get your fly open anyway.

Heck, when warmin' up in the house, I've shivered so hard the windows started rattlin' ‼
My wife always tells me it's early stages of hypothermia...
I always tell her she's full of crap... it ain't got nothin' to do with hypo-anything... I'm just friggin' cold ‼

Back