When do you noodle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MP10003603669_P255045_500X500.jpg
For me it's almost a never noodle.
600lb Hand Truck with wide mud wheel mod and flat easy access ramp trailer makes short work of moving pretty big rounds with 0 lifting.

If it's a very big tree with rounds getting to big for even the hand cart to manage then vertical splitting then hand cart and move to trailer.
Only time I really ever noodle is at the splitter when something has no productive end, crotch beast from hell sort of rounds LOL

Last edited:
MP10003603669_P255045_500X500.jpg
For me it's almost a never noodle.
600lb Hand Truck with wide mud wheel mod and flat easy access ramp trailer makes short work of moving pretty big rounds with 0 lifting. If it's a very big tree with rounds getting to big for even the hand cart to manage then vertical splitting then hand cart and move to trailer. Only time I really ever noodle is at the splitter when something has no productive end, crotch beast from hell sort of rounds LOL
Well, I have the hand truck and good tires but not the long lifts underneath. That is a great idea.

Once the big round is near the splitter if its in vertical mode, you can usually manipulate the big round. The big round may not split directly across the center, but if you offset the split and work around the outside of the round, it will start to go.

My boy's a Noodle'n maniac with the 390. Chip off the old block I guess

Is that a 28" bar? I was using the same saw and bar on Sunday noodling some red oak

Yeah I agree. I usually use my 90cc saws with a 20 or 24" bar and they cut through them pretty efficiently.

I'm noodling my stuff right now, I've got a lot of big hackberry rounds cut 18 in. long. I put 2 or 3 long slices in 'em, but not all the way through, it still remains a round. Then I use a maul to split them up into stovewood. The larger the round, the less likely it is to turn over sideways when I hit it. This works much, much faster than any hydraulic splitter. It goes whack, whack, whack, whack and my round quickly turns into what I want with a minimum of handling. No stooping down, loading and rolling rounds to a hydraulic splitter. I use a 77cc Husky with a 20 inch bar to noodle these. Works great for me. For 2 ft. long rounds, I'll use the 288xp or even the 076. When I'm done, I've got huge piles of noodles everywhere.

Wood Doctor,
Thanks, It's my fave tool for moving rounds.
Only down side to the thing is it's pretty easy to get a mighty big round lifted onto the cart without much effort then all the way but to much weight to get up the ramps of the trailer.
Then it's a Moe, Larry and Curly thing on the ramp LOL

Is that a 28" bar? I was using the same saw and bar on Sunday noodling some red oak
Yup that's a 28" Husky Techlite bar. I really like them on 372/390. That pic of my son was before the 390 got masterminded.
The rooster tails are much more impressive nowadays.
Almost like she's a different animal alltogether.

If I know I'm gonna be cutting sweet splitting stuff like red oak, I'll make sure to pack the x-27 or SS in the truck. No sense wasting the gas to noodle when a few whacks gets it down to size. Anything ugly/twisted/stringy/p.i.t.a. I'll noodle...especially if I don't have to do any raking afterwards! Gotta save the back and knees.

Wood Doctor,
Thanks, It's my fave tool for moving rounds.
Only down side to the thing is it's pretty easy to get a mighty big round lifted onto the cart without much effort then all the way but to much weight to get up the ramps of the trailer.
Then it's a Moe, Larry and Curly thing on the ramp LOL
Moved a couple with one today (without the big feet). It worked, but then we still had to lift the monster round onto the splitter. Took two strong men to do it. Even dry, these 24" dia. ash and locust rounds weighed at least 200 lb and it was all the splitter could do to start going through on the outside.

My recommendation is simple:

Noodle cut every big round in half that is 24" dia. or more, assuming you want your back to remain intact.

I noodle most everything, my shoulders wore out years ago, can't even swing my Fiskar very good. Besides noodling is fun, doesn't take much longer, and I get to use my saws. Built this stand so I don't have to stoop over to saw. I can still lift a ton as long as it's from the ground to my waist.image.jpg

Noodle once or two rounds a season. Up north the wood isn't as big, and most days I think I'm still 18 and can still deadlift 500+ pounds. Of course this is in my head and gets me into trouble sometimes

Wood Doctor,

Easy solution to that problem is don't put the rounds on the ground once you have them on the trailer.
Much easier to make a platform for the splitter to the height of the trailer bed then just roll them onto the splitter than it is to move them off the trailer to the ground and lift them onto the splitter.

Anything that never requires me to never lift real heavy things has got to be a good idea :)

This one from Harbor Freight is less than a fourth of the price & with the fold up extension, makes it easier to store.
image_20477.jpg
(You can normally find a 20-25% off coupon to use in addition to the sale price.) I also use it to move fire wood up on the deck. It handles 3 - 18 gallon totes of wood easily.

http://www.harborfreight.com/extra-wide-hand-truck-66171.html

This is pretty much the one I have except mine is green. It works great for moving bug rounds and for hauling firewood to and into the house. Instead of using totes, I use an old 30 gallon plastic trash can that I have an adjustable strap tied around and to the cart. The trash can holds about 4 cubic feet of firewood stacked vertically. (16 inch splits) Figure 4 loads and it fills the rack I have inside the house.
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-hand-truck-95061.html

Back