What you guys using for 2 stroke oil? -A fallers perspective-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're really sounding like a logger now.:laugh: Making money in this business is easy. Keeping any of it is the hard part.

The only advice I'd have for you is not to cheap out on something that, by spending just a little more, will keep you working. The price difference, and it isn't really all that much, between good oil and "take-a-chance-bargain-oil is all you're really paying anyway.
Hang in there Bob...if it was easy everybody would be doing it.
Yeah I know. A guys gotta run some scenarios through the old noggin now and again, only to arrive at the answer you know is right in the first place. Thanks!

Yeah I know. A guys gotta run some scenarios through the old noggin now and again, only to arrive at the answer you know is right in the first place. Thanks!

You're welcome. The loggers I know that made a good living year after year were thinking all the time.

its easy, you just cut faster than you did before. or for more time.

I'll look into Sam's suggestion too.

I've got work from here until God knows when. If I could only keep the skidder together for more than a week at a time. Had the tranny out and apart last week. Just gotta keep on the up and up. Keep pushin. Its only trees and machines, right? I'm going to look into Amsoil around here. $32 a gal would knock a lot off for me and you are putting more hours on your saws than I am. I hope its not getting to cold up there by you! Single digits here tonight. Should be snappy in the am. Gotta do some welding on the grapple. Thanks for the suggestion Sam! I may run with that one.

It's about -40F right now with the wind. My beer froze solid on the porch. Life's tough...
Glad to hear you've got lots of work, break downs are a *****, but it's just the way it goes no matter what kind of show you run, from what I've seen.
Give the Dominator a shot, 3 of the cutters I work with have been running it in ported saws for the past few years. No problems.

Take care and stay busy pard - Sam

This thread made me think that I might as well pick up some mix while in town today. Saw shop was closed before I got there, and that tractor store has quit carrying Husky mix. They've got some store brand crap now. :mad: Guess I'll have to devise myself a new backup plan.

Andy

8azyga6e.jpg

I think I pay somewhere in the high thirties for this. Not certain.

I run this stuff in my dirt bikes too. Sure gets the bike guys wound up.

I run stihl HP Ultra, stuff in the silver bottle, they are very proud of it. I know I'm throwing money away, there is other stuff that will work just as good for less money. I guess the issue is that I trust it. Some of my saws are modded very aggressively, they are fun to cut with, but I don't want them to die and so far none of them have.

Heck, I discovered running plus in my truck bumps the mpg just enough to cost me less per mile, not sure how that works, but it does. My total savings on that is probably less than $50.00 a year, but if I can save that much in few other areas it will add up fast.

Mr. HE:cool:

I use good motorcycle racing oil that is rated Jaso FC/FD: ELF 100% synthetic. It is good stuff, and is about $11 a liter at motorcycle shops. That is enough to mix 12 gallons at a conservative 45:1, which is 0.92 cents a gallon. Elf has a blue dye in it to let you know that the gas is mixed with oil (which helps a lot if you have straight gas around, like I do). 100% synthetic is the only way to go in my sawing experience. I have used dyno oil and blends, but they pale in comparison and being problem free. No smoke or smell, no gunk in the carbs or low end, no fouled plugs, they also rev higher. Many hours on many saws, no scoring or seizures.

My 92 cents worth...

Yeah I just gotta do some digging to find some Dominator locally. I'll have to weigh that price against the Husky XP oil per gallon and see what happens. Thanks again for the input everyone!

Having torn down quite a few saws with bearing failures I would go with a good synthetic. Woodland pro seems to work fine for guys milling and Andy and Bob. I've seen a few blue cranks on husky 372 and 390s along with big end bearings killed. Burvol sent me one of his that grenades the big end in a month of run time and it needed a new crank and all the bearings. He said he was running 50:1 in it Stihl ultra. Just my .02 worth. You might save on the oil but if you lose a crank in your saw you're out $250 plus labor and maybe a top end.
This is one reason I run 32:1.

Since most of my saws are are Huskies I've always used husky oil. FWIW Madsens saw shop likes the Stihl HP Ultra .What is interesting if you go to a certain chain saw site some models of say Jonsered 670's the factory will recommend 40:1 for one model and 50:1 for another.

Well Jon I did exactly what I planned to do before I started this thread. Been runnin the cheap oil since then with no problems. 36:1 of course! Yep thats a ratio! Been runnin the cheapest bar oil too. Really worked on tightening up expenses since then and its made a big difference. Stretchin dollars.

X2 on the Quacker State. We sell it in 8oz bottles 2 gallons + a bottle = 32:1. Been using this for over 20 years and never had any problems.

Latest posts

Back