Dag Nabbit!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday I had my grandson's birthday party at my house. When it ended and everyone had left, I decided to go out to the wood pile and do some splitting.

My splitter is out in the woods where I cut, about 3 miles away from home. I got out there and went to fire up the splitter and nuthin. Not even a click from the starter, just nuthin. So, off I go to get my jumper cables, which are at home. Stupid me for not having a pair in the truck as I usually do. I get back with the cables, hook em to the truck and go to the back of the splitter and what do ya know!

Some body stole my dang battery! Can ya believe that? No tracks in the snow so it had to have happened before the snow flew. This completely baffled me! Made me laugh even. What the thieves do not know is that the landowner has over 200 cameras all over his property. Mostly to watch for game, and keep an eye on his cattle, but have caught trespassers before.

So, they will get their justice, just have to wait till the landowner gets home and we take a look at the pics. That battery really was at the end of it's life anyways, so it makes it all the better!

Always something happening to make a guy chuckle!

Ted

All for a dead battery . Never pays to steal . Good luck catchin the bone-heads :)

That's a good idea on making stuff harder to steal. You could also block it up and remove the wheels and take them with you.

200 cameras is a pretty involved setup!

The landowner is somewhere north of "wealthy". Security is big to him. A couple springs ago I was on my way out to cut and noticed a cow had just calved within the last 5 minutes or so. Knowing they were out of town, I called him to let him know, and to find out if I should move the pair in to the barn as the spring rains had left plenty of bad conditions for a newborn. He told me he had already noticed that calf and also one that was out in a hayfield. He was about to call me and ask me to get them in to the barn cuz he had seen me drive out there!

Ted

They probably stole it to scrap it. Around here the low-lifes are cutting catalytic converters out of cars on dealer lots and this past weekend while the owners were shopping at Wally-world. They pop under with a battery powered sawz-all and are gone in a couple minutes. I've heard a US made converter will bring $60 at a scrap yard, foreign ones $120, and Dodge diesel truck resonators about $400.

Sounds like a lot of "Entrepreneurs" out there . I believe that being honest makes a person sleep better at night .

I don't mean to mock your plight and obviously taking your battery was wrong but Why in the world would you leave something as expensive as a log splitter. 3 miles away sitting in the woods you should be glad no one stole the whole unit and drove off .leaving stuff behind that's asking for trouble in my opinion

They probably stole it to scrap it. Around here the low-lifes are cutting catalytic converters out of cars on dealer lots and this past weekend while the owners were shopping at Wally-world. They pop under with a battery powered sawz-all and are gone in a couple minutes. I've heard a US made converter will bring $60 at a scrap yard, foreign ones $120, and Dodge diesel truck resonators about $400.

Been going on awhile already, 2 years ago they hit a a large trucking landscape company up. 52 trucks and other assorted equipment sliced up for converters or anything else worth a couple bucks. Was up in NY for an interview a couple years back, car pulled over out of traffic on freeway. person left car walking wasn't but 5 minutes a 14ft box truck and another small van pulled bunch jumped out had that car stripped in less than 5 minutes. all that was left was the body frame, unreal.

:mad: You've got a good chance of catchin' em with the security cams. Give em hell!!
Some people just don't understand Boomerang Karma.

The landowner is somewhere north of "wealthy". Security is big to him. A couple springs ago I was on my way out to cut and noticed a cow had just calved within the last 5 minutes or so. Knowing they were out of town, I called him to let him know, and to find out if I should move the pair in to the barn as the spring rains had left plenty of bad conditions for a newborn. He told me he had already noticed that calf and also one that was out in a hayfield. He was about to call me and ask me to get them in to the barn cuz he had seen me drive out there!

Ted

i've done tree work for a few guys like that. pull in the yard and my phone rings telling me that they saw me drive up. kinda strange at first. makes it interesting to relieve oneself behind a tree... never know where them darn cameras are

I don't mean to mock your plight and obviously taking your battery was wrong but Why in the world would you leave something as expensive as a log splitter. 3 miles away sitting in the woods you should be glad no one stole the whole unit and drove off .leaving stuff behind that's asking for trouble in my opinion

The ONLY way to get a motorized vehicle of any kind in to these woods is to go thru the landowners yard. There are no gates anywhere in the fence that surrounds the property. I think my splitter is safer there than it would be in my own yard. That is part of what makes this all so curious- whoever took that battery had to carry it over a quarter of a mile thru the woods! For what - a 8 or 9 dollar score?? goofballs~!

Hey I need a new battery. Did you replace yours yet? Where exactly is your splitter? Hahaha! Hi Ted.
! your to late andy!! I already got it... that's why the wife's car wont start!! now the remote is locked an not working? guess I will need to sue the old battery owner for having junk products! lol:(

We have differing opinions on things. With the above logic it's as if a girl is just asking to be attacked because she wore a fancy dress or your car deserved to get stolen because you left the keys in it.

It's never the victims fault when a criminal chooses to perform an unlawful act.

I've left expensive items unsecured all of my life. A locked door only keeps an honest person out.

Back