Your Favorite Winter Chainsaw Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some insulated Ninjas last year for Christmas. I really like them - nice & comfy & grippy too. Only issue I have with them is if you're out there for a while, and they get all damp & sweaty like, the insulation layer kinda wants to pull out with your fingers when you take them off. I also use cheap white ones with a layer of blue rubbery stuff on the business side - $20 for a bundle of 10 pairs. Usually warm enough but not as warm as the Ninjas.

The grippiness with all these latex-palm gloves is what first sold me, since it lets you grip more casually. Then the durability- no-brainer for me. Spidy, they're not insulated, at not least in my meaning of the term. They're just warm, to different levels, and I'm starting to learn which works best in a given set of conditions.
You'll have the devil's own time wearing holes in them, as opposed to leather gloves. Holes are inherently chilly.

Husky has some decent gloves. I like the extreme duty best as they have a good tight fit, but are also double palmed where it counts. I don't like big bulky gloves for running a saw. Just don't have the same feel of control.

Favorite cold weather item is the little switch on the "G" and "WH" models. :clap:

+ + on the Atlas Fit. Haven't tried the insulated ones.
A rolled up pair will fit in your shirt pocket, another couple pair or three or four in the pockets of the Carharts. Treat em like they're disposable as they get wet. Then pick em all up and take em home, dry em out and repeat.
As to durability, the cockroaches that inherit the planet will probably learn how to wear them.

apuzy8ep.jpg

As long as there's duct tape....

Pile lined, suede leather, and well broken in. Not sure of brand, but I always seem to use these in the winter for moving and stacking my wood. When the holes appear in the fingers, the duct tape saves the day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husky has some decent gloves. I like the extreme duty best as they have a good tight fit, but are also double palmed where it counts. I don't like big bulky gloves for running a saw. Just don't have the same feel of control.

Favorite cold weather item is the little switch on the "G" and "WH" models. :clap:

Ain't any such switch on my mauls or splits, though. :D Nor on my saws, for that matter.

One other thing I like about these newly-discovered (to me) latex-palm gloves: no bulkiness.

Ain't any such switch on my mauls or splits, though. :D Nor on my saws, for that matter.

One other thing I like about these newly-discovered (to me) latex-palm gloves: no bulkiness.

man, you made me think...heated axe handle..hmmm

something like...a shock absorber inside the handle, compressed gas heats up..hmmm..still thinking

What're your favorites for chainsawing/firewooding?
Thanks to a few folks here, early this year I discovered "Atlas Fit" latex-palm gloves. Wear much longer than leather, excellent grip, just cold when it's down in the teens. Couple bucks/pair. Great for three-seasons in SW CT.
Then on a tip, I got a dozen "Atlas Therma" gloves, $3.50/pr by the dozen. Notably warmer.
Rooting around on the Internets, I found Memphis CN9690L Ninja Ice Nylon Large gloves. $7.46/pr & shipping. Once I got past the name, they are WARM. Really grippy, with latex palm. Friend tried them- wants some.
Got all sized "large" and fit is very similar. Obviously, if anything, the cold-weather ones should be a tad looser, and they are. Grip with all is excellent, much better than leather. Long-term testing has just started with the winter gloves.
When they get properly filthy, off they go to the washing machine.
Listening now for your faves.

Duluth Trading Winter Work gloves: Waterproof, warm & pretty tough.

Kinco gloves hands down----no pun intended. I buy knit wrist to keep sawdust out when cutting.Uninsulated ones either during spring,summer and fall then the insulated ones for winter.At the Boonville woodsmans days you can get them for 6-7 bucks a pr.

I like the Atlas Therma gloves as well (I got a dozen of them (6 pair) delivered to my door off of eBay for $20) I have yet to wear though my first pair though in over a year of using them I use them for felling and bucking firewood, splitting with a maul and stacking firewood, so they see some use. I myself dont use gloves any temp over about 30 degrees otherwise my hands sweat. I cut a pickup load of firewood a few weeks ago with my Atlas Thermas on, when it was 10 below 0 (less the wind chill) and my hands did not get cold.

Before I found out about the Atlas gloves I tried every other pair of gloves they sold at box stores and hardware stores, leather and man made ones and could wear the index finger and thumb out of a pair of regular gloves in two days or less using them for firewood, and I wood duct tape the worn spots to use them a few more times, before pitching them. The Atlas gloves have impressed me as I have not worn through my first pair yet, using them for over a year.

The only thing I have noticed about the Atlas gloves is I have to loosen up my grip on my left hand on the handle with my maul when sliding it down on the swing to meet my right hand, first couple of swings my left hand gripped the handle to hard and the swing was not as effective.

Last edited:
My take on gloves is the cheaper the better. Where I work they have a barrel where guys throw their used gloves. Some get a little oil on them and toss them while others look like new, just broke in. I bring home about 30 pairs at a time and their cheap...free. Get one hole and toss and handling Hackberry will wear out any glove in a hurry. Some probably wouldn't like the thought of using a used glove but I don't eat in the woods ;) They are just the standard leather glove and do the job for me.

MVC-001S_7.JPG

Kevin, Cheaper is not always better. FREE is good dont get my wrong. But maybe there is a reason they were in the trash in the first place. I used a pair of those gloves you have pictured once. I bought them brand new for $6, double stitched, reinforced palms and index finger. They only lasted one day of use, cutting, splitting by hand and stacking before I wore though the index finger no big deal a little duct tape, next day my thumb came though.

My vote is for Atlas gloves

On the recommendation of CTYank, I purchased a pair of Memphis CN9690L Ninja Ice Nylon Large gloves. These gloves are nice for the price @ $7-$8 a pair. Haven't had a chance to use them in the cold but they seem to have a good bit of insulation. They are real comfortable and appear to be quite durable...I guess time will tell.

I use some Duluth trading Kevlar insulated waterproof work gloves for extreme cold (under 10 degrees) and harbor freight latex cheap gloves for everything else. the harbor freight gloves last longer than the leather ones I would use and have better dexterity and grip.

I use some Duluth trading Kevlar insulated waterproof work gloves for extreme cold (under 10 degrees) and harbor freight latex cheap gloves for everything else. the harbor freight gloves last longer than the leather ones I would use and have better dexterity and grip.

I have been using PIP gloves ( "G-tek" NPG #33-G125 ) underneath either a neoprene mechanic's style glove or the standard cheapo leather one's like Kevin in OH's ( but with an extra layer of green leather on the palm, thumb and index ).

The PIP's are nylon weave with a urethane palm; cost about $1-2 pair in bulk; you can also take several pairs to swap out as a base layer in cold weather, fold up very small in a pocket; washable; good for short tasks that require dexterity, but no insulation. I offer these more as something to at least cover your hands when you have to take off a bulkier glove than for insulation. The normal application is sheet metal and electronics assembly.

I get both the PIPs and the cheap leather one's from a guy working at a local water heater plant.

Anyone ever bother dressing leather gloves with neatsfoot or other oils/wax? Usually they end up too stiff for me...

Last edited:
I used a pair of those gloves you have pictured once. I bought them brand new for $6, double stitched, reinforced palms and index finger. They only lasted one day of use, cutting, splitting by hand and stacking before I wore though the index finger no big deal a little duct tape, next day my thumb came though.

I see those at Harbor Freight 5 pairs for $6, so I'd say you paid a bit much at $6 a single pair. They're definitely worth a buck twenty-five tho...:D

Heritage waterproof farm work gloves if it's cold enough. They breath and I have never sweated in them. If it's 40 degrees or warmer, I use goat skin I insulated gloves.
The waterproof ones are great if I'm out in the snow...

Live a positive life!

Latest posts

Back