A Wood Cutting Poll!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you actually get out and cut wood?

• More than once a week

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • About every other week

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Twice a year

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I only dream about cutting, don't really do any

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
I have been a member here for a while now. When I read some of these posts from time to time, I just shake my head and can't help but wonder if some of these folks have ever even been IN the woods let alone cut any of it up! LOL

So I thought a poll might be fun! I know, there will always be another answer I didn't put in there but it is what it is! Find one closest to the truth!

Ted

I have been a member here for a while now. When I read some of these posts from time to time, I just shake my head and can't help but wonder if some of these folks have ever even been IN the woods let alone cut any of it up! LOL

So I thought a poll might be fun! I know, there will always be another answer I didn't put in there but it is what it is! Find one closest to the truth!

Ted
you got once a month,,and then twice a year..mines spotty...go when I get time,,and it varies...

I had to think about how to answer...
I certainly don't get out more than once a week, more than 52 times a year... although I do get out more than once a week during certain times of the year.
The next option is every other week, 26 times a year... well, I get out more than 26 times during the year, but I don't do any firewood work over most of the summer. Still, that was the closest, so I went with it.
You needed an option like, "I take the summer off, hit it hard in the fall, piddle around during winter, and clean it all up in the spring." :D

Some more, some less

Between 50 cord, and 25K to 75K board feet a year some weeks it's seven days, others, during mud season especially, may only get out one day if at all.

Applaud your thinking in posting this, would be interesting to see results in Chainsaw forum where the real "experts" reside.

Take Care

Might have been asked as 'number of times' per year, rather than frequency:
0 to 10
10 to 25
25 to 50, etc

Sorry to be a critic. The results should be interesting.

Ironically the options worked good for me..two days a year. Cut for a couple days and spend a few more loading and hauling them to my rounds pile. Then split when I can. I've got maybe 8-10 cord un-split now so I'm ahead...I might take a year off wood cutting altogether which is fine with me because I'd much rather be ridding ATVs !

I burn roughly 5 cord a year and I've only allocated enough space on my property for maybe 10-12 total cord.

Does cutting cookies count??? I cut or split wood pretty much every day this time of year, when its hot and muggy not so much. Mostly I just dream about cutting wood.

Does cutting cookies count??? I cut or split wood pretty much every day this time of year, when its hot and muggy not so much. Mostly I just dream about cutting wood.

You got that right Andy! I put my saws away when the bugs come out! And when the heat and humugity come out. And no, cookies do not count. They add up but they don't count. huh? Dang, we agree on something! WTF! lol

Ted

I picked "More than once a week" because since September, that closest fits my wood cutting activities. I turned 65 and retired in September, and was given a large plot of land with a bunch of downed ash, and no time limit.

If I'm not there cutting for myself, I'm at my friends farm - he arranged that aforementioned deal - helping him buck logs for his tree business.

All in all, I'll average 2 - 3 days a week of running a saw. The rest of the week is for splitting / stacking and other assorted household chores.

Ted, I voted for every other week 'cuz that's pretty close for this time of year. Taking weather conditions into account and all that. I usually burn up leftover vacation time before Christmas... perfect time to get the sawing done. :)

We cut for our own use - we don't sell wood so all the cutting is usually done for the year in under a month.

with the wood pile about gone from the summers work? it is a daily venture to replenish the pile to a "looks good status"... when a cord goes out for delivery/picked up, its to the woods to maintain a safety zone from the cold days ahead! this time of the year usually 3 outings a week for cutting!

Mine is too varied,, sometimes like after a big storm, I cut every day, then sometimes like during mowing season I won't touch a saw for weeks, but I might get to splitting and stacking in the late evenings then. It also depends on other chores, plus how the ole bod is feeling, I won't cut if I am dicey with the back that day.

I guess it really varies between the guys who cut pro and not. Even pro on the side you need to spend a lot of time at it, just cutting your own wood and like doing the farm cleanup here...too big of a variable. In mud season/winter I usually do a couple days felling and some bucking here and there, but I don't haul anything out until the ground firms up. I wind up doing most of my cutting during the time a lot of guys here hang up the saws, heat of summer when the ground is hard, just because I need that access.

I *could* do it more, but not much of a firewood market around here, there's already like dozens of part timers selling wood all over and prices are ridiculous low, IMO. I counted on the way into town the other day, there's two different roads, on the one larger road, 4 different firewood for sale guys working right off their yards facing the street, then in town, three more I can think of readily.

I would say in my area it is predominately propane heat.

As to prices, an example, one guy I met the other day sells a full size pickup bed load, stacked to top of the cab for 65 bucks, hickory. He's a roofer with no work right now. Multiply that by any number of other guys doing it, just to have some money coming in. It's a buyers market, not a sellers market for sure.

Ted, I voted for every other week 'cuz that's pretty close for this time of year. Taking weather conditions into account and all that. I usually burn up leftover vacation time before Christmas... perfect time to get the sawing done. :)

We cut for our own use - we don't sell wood so all the cutting is usually done for the year in under a month.

That's basically our situation too. We cut when it fit in the Winter on our own land. BIG advantage their as you can cut when it mushy out and leave it till it either dries or freezes to split/haul so it doesn't tear up the land. Seems to be more efficient too. We average probably probably 20 cord a year. Some times more, some years less. I think the most was 70 cord one year. Had a pipeline go through and free, close wood that couldn't be passed up. You become a hoarder when you grow up scrounging! ;)

When I cut when it's warm it's because of wind or fall down. I get Poison Ivy bad so it limits me there.

I order a truckload about September and cut a out once a week, and I just finished noodling the last of my rounds with my 550xp, man that thing rips, got about another weeks worth of splitting (one or two days).

I just cut when I have time. I avoid the summer with the ticks and the heat. I get a day and I will spend as much of that day cutting as I can

As to prices, an example, one guy I met the other day sells a full size pickup bed load, stacked to top of the cab for 65 bucks, hickory. He's a roofer with no work right now. Multiply that by any number of other guys doing it, just to have some money coming in. It's a buyers market, not a sellers market for sure.

If I could get 3/4 cord loads of Hickory for $65 I'd never run a saw or splitter again! Hell, I could work a Saturday at my job and pay for a years supply of wood!

Back