Poor advice becoming more common on AS...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess us newbies need our own site for non pro dumb *****. :confused: Guess I have to stop believing everything I read on the internet.

This has got nothing to do with pro or non pro - regardless of a person's experience everybody started out non pro. I'll give you an example about the sort of advice this thread was based on:

New guy starts a thread...

"Can I run .404" on my MS170?"

Other new guy replies and said "I'm keen to find out too. Why don't you buy a .404" chain and try it".

Other inexperienced guys read this thread and think "Wow, good advice. He should buy some .404" chain and try it on his MS170".

More experienced guys read thread, shake head, and find another thread to read. One experienced guy sticks his nose in to correct the obviously inexperienced guys that have been responding. 4 of the inexperienced guys appreciate the correct advice. One continues to think he's correct. He starts arguing.

If you can't understand what I'm trying to say then find a Stihl catalogue (or any catalogue for that matter!) and find yourself a .404" sprocket and bar that will fit on an MS170. Then you'll understand.

I'm not exactly that old but before starting arguments I tend to do a bit of research first on the topic I want to argue on. There is a difference between an argument and a discussion.

I just read three pages of poor advice....

The best part about that is that we all knew that we were joking with said advice :)

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
A: Yes it is.
M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
A: No it isn't.
M: It is!
A: It is not.
M: Look, you just contradicted me.
A: I did not.
M: Oh you did!!
A: No, no, no.
M: You did just then.
A: Nonsense!
M: Oh, this is futile!
M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

So if you say to me that the standard 20" 3/8" bar is 72DL, and I say it's 75DL, is that a contradiction or an argument? :)

You should also look at a world time clock. It is 1:22pm on the 1st of January, 2014 where I am. Plus it's 40°C so I'm sitting in under the air conditioning.
-11 C here with a fire going. You sir SUCK lol Personally if I give bad advice call me out on it. I want to give back to this site for all the good information I have gotten. If I talk crap call me out on it!

Happy new year !

Lol are you talking about me Mr. Aussie?

Hah hah. No not you old son, not you at all!

Personally if I give bad advice call me out on it. I want to give back to this site for all the good information I have gotten. If I talk crap call me out on it!

Happy new year !

Happy New Year to you as well! I actually think you'd stand corrected if you were wrong. Others can't seem to be corrected even when obviously wrong.

Funny you cite the 404 thread. I read 3 posts and never looked back.
First saws I bought came with 404 63 chipper and learned to hand file razor plates.
Most of em wouldn't know what a Lombard 500 cuts like with chipper or the 80 cutters
and what sharp is. No grinders. That 500 will start cold on 6 stiff pulls tonite all as it was 47 yrs ago.

Still enjoy reading back when crofter, tw, glens, am, gypo and them used to be around. Smart fellas, no bs.

Monty Python?

Putting .404 on any saw with a rim style clutch drum is fairly simple and strait foreward if you have the proper replacement bar tip, proper gauge chain, and proper rim.

Putting .404 on any saw with a rim style clutch drum is fairly simple and strait foreward if you have the proper replacement bar tip, proper gauge chain, and proper rim.

You're right of course but not if you're talking a smaller saw with small splined rim. That was my point or in the case of the MS170 no rim sprocket option available at all :)

So, I got this TsingTao 42cc saw for $50 on Ebay. It tears wood up like mad. Can I use my outboard premix oil in it? Should I use regular E-10 gas in it, or some 5 year old gas I have in the garage, or can I use pure methanol from a neighbor's wood still? If I send it to be Masterminded or Snellerized, will it run more better? It came with an Oregon bar. Is that because I live in Oregon? Will the bar work if I cut wood up in Washington? I read that I should flip the bar over whenever I cut Australian eucalyptus trees. Is that correct? How about bar oil? I was thinking of using the oil that runs out of my pellet smoker grill for that. Or maybe used motor oil that has been filtered through a paper towel and left to set for a few weeks. Or a mix of both. What do you guys think? It will smell good in the wood. Oh, and what about parts? Can I get parts for an Earthquake TsingTao at my Stihl dealership? Will they take care of any warranty work if the saw breaks down? How about sharpening the chain? If the saw is smoking in the wood, does that mean it needs to be sharpened? Can I run the chain backward between sharpening it? Can I use a regular file to do that? What kind of angle should I file it at? :dizzy:

Last edited:
So, I got this TsingTao 42cc saw for $50 on Ebay. It tears wood up like mad. Can I use my outboard premix oil in it? Should I use regular E-10 gas in it, or some 5 year old gas I have in the garage, or can I use pure methanol from a neighbor's wood still? If I send it to be Masterminded or Snellerized, will it run more better? It came with an Oregon bar. Is that because I live in Oregon? Will the bar work if I cut wood up in Washington? I read that I should flip the bar over whenever I cut Australian eucalyptus trees. Is that correct? How about bar oil? I was thinking of using the oil that runs out of my pellet smoker grill for that. Or maybe used motor oil that has been filtered through a paper towel and left to set for a few weeks. Or a mix of both. What do you guys think? It will smell good in the wood. Oh, and what about parts? Can I get parts for an Earthquake TsingTao at my Stihl dealership? Will they take care of any warranty work if the saw breaks down? How about sharpening the chain? If the saw is smoking in the wood, does that mean it needs to be sharpened? Can I run the chain backward between sharpening it? Can I use a regular file to do that? What kind of angle should I file it at? :dizzy:

Yes of course you can.

So, I got this TsingTao 42cc saw for $50 on Ebay. It tears wood up like mad. Can I use my outboard premix oil in it? Should I use regular E-10 gas in it, or some 5 year old gas I have in the garage, or can I use pure methanol from a neighbor's wood still? If I send it to be Masterminded or Snellerized, will it run more better? It came with an Oregon bar. Is that because I live in Oregon? Will the bar work if I cut wood up in Washington? I read that I should flip the bar over whenever I cut Australian eucalyptus trees. Is that correct? How about bar oil? I was thinking of using the oil that runs out of my pellet smoker grill for that. Or maybe used motor oil that has been filtered through a paper towel and left to set for a few weeks. r a mix of both. What do you guys think? It will smell good in the wood. Oh, and what about parts? Can I get parts for an Earthquake at my Stihl dealership? Will they take care of any warranty work if the saw breaks down? How about sharpening the chain? If the saw is smoking in the wood, does that mean it needs to be sharpened? Can I run the chain backward between sharpening it? Can I use a regular file to do that? What kind of angle should I file it at? :dizzy:

1. Search is your friend !
2. Rank Mobil Delvac oil from the Cummins is the knockers for blade oil
3. Earthquake bought out Stihl
4. Run forward for stumps, backward for everything else

Oh, and do not forget about this guy in the Portland, OR area. Kevlargaffs/TarzanZipLines. He swears he builds the dogs ballacks of saws. Take a look at this 'hot saw' gem:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILTZ-Stihl...022528902?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item43c24b6186

I mean, I am a long bar freak, but a 24 inch bar on a 250? He also sells 24 inch bars on 211 'hot saws'... *cough*

Ummmm. . . Here's a quote from his video "The MS250 motor is completely stock, this is Bar&Chain&sprocket mods only." He's not "building" anything.

Yeah, I'll jump right on buying a saw from him. Maybe he can sell me some moon rocks and ocean front property in central Montanny?

Back