Alternative heat sources. Is anyone using Kerosene heaters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day we used a kero-sun in the basement when it was real cold to prevent freeze-ups. It was effective but the wife couldn't live with the fumes. Over time I successfully locked down all possible issues to cause pipe freeze ups using a variety of workarounds.

Still keep an electric kero powered torpedo for special ops.

...just saying it's getting harder to find kero around here.

Our backup? A 95% efficient NG forced air furnace.
Hows that a back up if the power goes out? I consider a back-up something good in case of an emergency. Unless you also have generator back-up. Most portable generators would have a hard time powering a furnace throughout a - 15 degree night with - 35 wind chills.

If you were getting fumes from the Kero, it was because you weren't burning efficiently. Your wick needed burned off, trimmed or just replaced. They worked on the same premise as the new EPA wood burners. A clean burn means a hot burn and the hot burn burns off the fumes.

Kero isn't a problem around our area. All the Sheetz convenience stores still sell it. Funny thing is it seems like older folks are the only ones I see using it. That or guys obviously running torpedoeson the job site.

In my neck of the woods most houses are all electric and the 23K convection units are almost a necessity. In the inevitable ice induced power outage these babies can keep 2500 sqft comfortable when its well below freezing and they're perfect for setting a frying pan on for some scrambled eggs and sausage, hotdogs, grilled cheese ..... I'd use it more often but with kerosene at $4.19/gal its cheaper to run strip heat when its available.

We recently picked up a NG wall heater (30,000 btu) for the finished basement as we primarily heat with wood on the main floor - basement would turn into a fridge during the winter months.

I have to say I'm very impressed with this unit - seems to just sip the NG but keeps the basement nice and warm (on the lowest setting). In addition to burning wood and having a generator for the furnace, this is part of our "backup plan" as it should have no problem keeping the house from freezing if things go bad (and I run outta wood for some reason).

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Natural-Blue-Flame/dp/B000UPR5TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390835293&sr=8-1&keywords=wall heater natural gas

51FNy%2BbQBNL._SY300_.jpg

I have my parents old one. Don't know where to buy kero so I stay cold while tinkering in the basement. Where do you get that stuff?

I would like to get it going again, stop giving me wimpy excuses to not finish projects.

For those looking at cnice like he has three heads....Kerosene space heaters are illegal in Massachusetts so it's tough to find at gas stations. There's only a couple stations I know of up there that sell it...and I usually gas up in Mass.

Here in Connecticut, most gas stations that carry Diesel also sell Kerosene. So maybe every fourth or fifth gas station you can get it.

If you're not using a lot, might be cheapest to go to Walmart in NH or RI and pick 2-1/2 gallons. If you like the heat, then you can buy some 5 gallon cans and find a station you can fill them up at.

I also use a toyo laser for backup to my wood stove, we also hear our hot water with a toyo heater, could not ask for a better set up. Very efficient, we burn about 4 cord a year and 40-50 gallons of kerosene to heat our 1800 sq foot home and hot water.

Hows that a back up if the power goes out? I consider a back-up something good in case of an emergency. Unless you also have generator back-up. Most portable generators would have a hard time powering a furnace throughout a - 15 degree night with - 35 wind chills.
Yes, we have a generator. The furnace is natural gas so it requires very little power to run.

You can actually run a lot of crucial appliances off inverters as well. I was able to keep both fridge and freezer, cold and frozen during the Christmas ice storm of 2013 off a cheap $75.00 1600/800 watt Coleman inverter and my Toyota Tacoma. A while back I got bored and made a inverter generator from a riding lawn mower and gm 1 wire alternator the Coleman inverter and my boat deep cycle battery.

We recently picked up a NG wall heater (30,000 btu) for the finished basement as we primarily heat with wood on the main floor - basement would turn into a fridge during the winter months.

I have to say I'm very impressed with this unit - seems to just sip the NG but keeps the basement nice and warm (on the lowest setting). In addition to burning wood and having a generator for the furnace, this is part of our "backup plan" as it should have no problem keeping the house from freezing if things go bad (and I run outta wood for some reason).

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Natural-Blue-Flame/dp/B000UPR5TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390835293&sr=8-1&keywords=wall heater natural gas

51FNy%2BbQBNL._SY300_.jpg
I have the same in the basement for when I'm gone for a day or more. It's hanging on a wall near the wood stove, and kicks in when the basement gets down to about 60°, it runs 3-4 times a year. I have it's twin brother in my ice fishing shack, and it's too much for the little space in there, usually just sits there with the pilot light on, unless we're in and out a lot.

Mine are propain, as there's no NG at my house, or on a frozen lake for that matter! Da shack heater, in a semi-rare moment of it actually running. (Note fancy beer reliquification shelf, handy for when the beer's been in the snowbank too long):

120140119_161029.jpg

You can actually run a lot of crucial appliances off inverters as well. I was able to keep both fridge and freezer, cold and frozen during the Christmas ice storm of 2013 off a cheap $75.00 1600/800 watt Coleman inverter and my Toyota Tacoma. A while back I got bored and made a inverter generator from a riding lawn mower and gm 1 wire alternator the Coleman inverter and my boat deep cycle battery.

My friend bought a house that has an outlet right next to the garage door that he could never figure out. I did some wireing for him and noticed the shutoff next to his panel, going out that plug. I told him that the people he bought his place from probably had a camper with a larger generator. It looks like if you throw that shutoff, and turn off the main, that it powers half of his electrical panel. I told him to geta camper and he can use it for a guest house, and a power source.

Slow lately, think the fish are frozen, too!
I almost went fishing yesterday below the dam on the Allegheny river. The water looked low and there is a good bit of open water still. Then I caught myself, because I haven't bought a 2014 license yet.

A lot of people can not afford to have the oil truck pull into their driveway as most companies won't deliver less than 100 gals. Sometimes their are lines of guys with blue 5 gallon jugs at the kero pump.

I used to burn quite a bit of Kerosene. I had a Kerosun Director, and a Kerosun Omni. They were very good heaters and I heated my whole house with just those 2. I burned about 12 gallons a week.

I quit using them, when the price of Kerosene went up rapidly. But since all fuel went up so much it probably evened out. Plus, when I went to buy replacement wicks, the new wicks were loosely woven, and didn't burn off the vapors as well.

I like those heaters. I could take them up to camp with me and saved the fuss of dealing with the furnace when we got there. I don't remember the BTU output of them, but as much as I remember, they seemed way more efficient than the pellet stoves that are so popular now, and they didn't need electric to operate.

So does anyone run them, and what barnd are they, and how good do they burn.

Have a backup for the cellar.

Maybe if we we see -40 Fo or more might be needed.

I used to burn quite a bit of Kerosene. I had a Kerosun Director, and a Kerosun Omni. They were very good heaters and I heated my whole house with just those 2. I burned about 12 gallons a week.

I quit using them, when the price of Kerosene went up rapidly. But since all fuel went up so much it probably evened out. Plus, when I went to buy replacement wicks, the new wicks were loosely woven, and didn't burn off the vapors as well.

I like those heaters. I could take them up to camp with me and saved the fuss of dealing with the furnace when we got there. I don't remember the BTU output of them, but as much as I remember, they seemed way more efficient than the pellet stoves that are so popular now, and they didn't need electric to operate.

So does anyone run them, and what barnd are they, and how good do they burn.

Have a backup for the cellar.

Maybe if we we see -40 Fo or more might be needed.

Hello everyone.
I need a good kerosene heater. Any ideas which one to get?
I want to buy one but I'm confused with all the information I'm reading on reviews.
Are they safe to use? It is my priority because of the kids around my house.
Can anyone tell me which one is good to buy in this review?
Great kerosene heaters
Thanks.

I think if you have kids around and plan on using this to heat a living space it's best to make sure you go with a direct vent style heater. I personally prefer propane as it's seems to be less maintenance in the long run with little overall added cost. I had a couple toyotomi kero heaters and although the we're great heaters and extremely efficent I'll still take a rinnai any day of the week. I bought this little guy for $300 used with everything to hook it up. I also have its little brother and big brother up to camp. 1485991363729.jpg

We used to use 2 Kerosun heaters to heat our 42' trailer for deer camp. They do smell even if you are careful. If you spill the stuff on you it's a pain getting it off. The trailer originally had a kerosene furnace that worked great. Several years ago we got a Mr Buddy propane heater and never looked back. One heater heats the whole trailer, doesn't smell bad, and is certified for indoor use, Joe.

Latest posts

Back