Should I have a 290 ported or a 034av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Englishman02

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 290 is nearly new and my 034 is really clean. I prefer the o34 right now, but I was wondering which saw would respond better. Thanks for input. Both are set up for .325.

034... Closed port cylinder and split magnesium case will respond well to squish and port work... 290 is open port, no way to increase compression without a welded pop up piston and just a cheaper made saw.
Port the 034, you'll be glad you did.

Hands down, the 034! I would also step up to 3/8 chain, that saw can more than handle it, and will hold an edge a little longer. I have heard the 034/036 respond real well to porting too. I have had my share of 036's (same chassis, minor differences) and I think they are one of the finest saws Stihl ever made.

I ported and ran a 034 for awhile and the thing was awesome

I'd never voluntarily work on 290-390. But there is 3 or 5 of the damn things on mg bench. Decent home owner saws

Thanks, once ported could it pull a 24 inch 3/8 bar; If needed on occasion? Looking to have 18 inch bar on most of time, but as you all know once in a while a bigger bar is needed and I don't want another saw.

I got the 290 new with box for 350 thought it was a good deal. Runs good just heavy and vibrates more then my efco 952 and stihl 034. Reliable so far though.

Thanks, once ported could it pull a 24 inch 3/8 bar; If needed on occasion? Looking to have 18 inch bar on most of time, but as you all know once in a while a bigger bar is needed and I don't want another saw.

Yes. If you have one of the big names on AS do it, it will handle a 24" bar easily (and the oiler will keep up without a problem).

There was a thread just a day or two ago talking about how strong the 034/034S 's are and how well they respond to porting. Probably on the second page. Definitely do the 034!

Back