What size truck and trailer to haul 1 cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been selling firewood on an off for the last 6 years.

I mostly use my 94 4.0 ranger and a 5x8 trailer with 1.5 foot sides. Between the truck and trailer I get exactly one cord of wood.

Now I don't sell as much as I did in college. But when I do now. I use my ranger and my 18 foot trailer built out of a camper frame. I put a box right over the axle. That measures out to a cord of wood. The bigger trailer is so much nicer IMO.

This year I was given a little over a tri axle load as a wedding present. When I fill my 18 foot trailer with the sides It holds 3 cords. But I pull that with my dads 2500 duramax.

I used to haul 1 cord between the QC Dakota and 6'x12' single axle trailer. Now I have an 18' tandem axle (7k). I can comfortably haul 1 cord on just the trailer and all the gear (and up to 4 helpers) in the truck.

Guys, all I can say on this is please know your legal capacity and don't push it. All the Chevy/Ford/ Dodge stuff will not go very far when you get in an accident with some legal eagle that has a lawyer on speed dial. Slow down and make multiple trips if necessary, the prospect of loosing everything you own is a real one in today's lawsuit happy culture.

I have a 1991 f250 and haul a full cord on the truck. I have a 20 foot trailer, but rarely use it. I will probably use it more this year, just so I can haul more wood per trip. My problem is getting the trailer into the woods. It takes a bit of room to turn it around.

I have thought about putting a small loader on the garden tractor and using that to haul the wood out to the trailer.

Back