Seafome or sta-bil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've only ever used Startron as a stabilizer as I've heard more bad about Stabil than anything else out there. I use the Startron mainly in my snowmobile and truck for storage. I dont use any stabilizer in my saws as the husqvarna oil says it has is in it already, plus I use 91 non-ethonol in my saws.

I do use Seafoam in my motorcycle in the spring to clean the fuel system. It is not intended to be a stabilizer and it also states it right on the can (as mentioned in previous threads). If asked, I would stand behind Seafoam and recommend it to anyone too lazy to tear apart their carb/fuel system to do a proper cleaning. On a motorcycle with 4 carbs its worth giving it a shot. I typically would recommend it on a small engine like a push mower because they are usually to gunked up they need a full cleaning.

I used Stabil, one time and never again. It may have been because our fuel around here has more ethanol in it than is recommended. I'm not willing to take that chance on anything again. It seems that only the small quantities of fuel go totally sour and cause problems, while a gallon or more in the tank will stay good much longer. It may smell a little off, but in my experience always runs. I will drain the carburetor, by turning gas off and running it dry or drain the carb itself. Chainsaws get fuel dumped back into can and ran dry. I try to do this to the saws if they even sit a week. When I say always run, I mean with gas no more than 8 months old.

Seafoam Spring Tune-UP for Gunked-Up Small Engine
  1. Dump old gas out (drain float bowl if applicable).
  2. Fill tank ½ full with 1 part Seafoam to 3-4 parts fresh gas.
  3. Disconnect plug wire and crank engine several times with choke on.
  4. Pull air filter and dribble straight seafoam down carb throat (clean filter before replacing).
  5. Walk away until tomorrow.
  6. Next day, pull spark plug and dribble a little fresh straight gas in cylinder (clean or replace plug).
  7. Start engine and run until fully warmed-up and running (relatively) smoothly.
  8. Change oil and top-off fuel tank with fresh straight gas.
  9. Restart engine and run for at least ½ hour.
  10. Top-off fuel tank again.
Works more times than not...

Seafoam Spring Tune-UP for Gunked-Up Small Engine
  1. Dump old gas out (drain float bowl if applicable).
  2. Fill tank ½ full with 1 part Seafoam to 3-4 parts fresh gas.
  3. Disconnect plug wire and crank engine several times with choke on.
  4. Pull air filter and dribble straight seafoam down carb throat (clean filter before replacing).
  5. Walk away until tomorrow.
  6. Next day, pull spark plug and dribble a little fresh straight gas in cylinder (clean or replace plug).
  7. Start engine and run until fully warmed-up and running (relatively) smoothly.
  8. Change oil and top-off fuel tank with fresh straight gas.
  9. Restart engine and run for at least ½ hour.
  10. Top-off fuel tank again.
Works more times than not...

93 octane, no ethanol no anything else for additive, small engine, fall to spring

Open cap, fill tank, whatever it needs since last fall, already some in there

yank starter cord

go run push mower or rototiller

I don't use sta-bil,startron or seafoam.I do add 2 stroke oil to the gasolene in the engines that will be layed up for the coming season I run the engine until I can smell the oil in the exhaust, oil down the cylinder and park it.I'm useing 10% ethenol gas in everything,2 stroke or 4.If I think I might need "dry-gas" I add HEET with isopropal.

Want to try something that will open your eyes about whats in gas. Pour gas into a Mason jar. Put it out in the sun, and let it sit. May be take a picture of it when you first pour in the gas. Mark the jar with a Sharpe and just let it sit. Look at it periodically. Look at the picture in your cell phone. You will never store ethanol fuel again reguardless of what additive you use. After a while it begins to look like Italian dressing without the spices. Open the jar and smell it. It smells like Blue cheese dressing.

The Jonsered/ Echo/ Simplicity dealer near me does this. He puts the jars on the shelf in plain view of all his customers. He pleads with them to not use old gas and tells them that if they bring in a machine with gas that looks like the stuff in the Mason jars that the manufacturers WILL NOT honor their warraunty. You would not believe how many people don't believe him.

For a while he quit selling Stabil, and Seafoam because as stated above. He started selling it again because people wanted it. They buy the stuff as he's telling them they are wasting their money but the customers demand it and he's not a man to look a gift horse in the mouth. He does sell Startron, and he keeps a jar of gas on display treated with Startron and there is a noticeable difference in the appearance of the gas.

Around these parts, I wouldn't even buy any higher octane until around mid May. No one uses it and the stuff that's underground has been sitting there since the end of September. I have done the Mason jar test on some of it, and the station owner was perplexed that I wouldn't pay for the salad dressing.

I'm a religious seafoam user. I run it in the tank of my wood truck every season, in my mowers, saws, blowers, and outboards. I never have had a fuel related problem since.

Back