Oh C'mon already, enough is enough!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dingeryote- looks just like the piles on our road.

That's actually a section of drift that was busted with a V plow.;)
That's why the edges are vertical and not sloped or rounded.

The piles are taller than that in my driveway.:(

HEAT WAVE‼
We topped-out at 14° yesterday... WOO-HOO‼ (except for the 5 inches of snow :( we got with the "warm" weather)
Ya' know it's gettin' pretty bad when 14° feels like springtime :dizzy:
Looks like a couple more days of this crap and then a real warm-up... not even breaking 0° tomorrow, but into the 20's by week's end :rock:

HEAT WAVE‼
We topped-out at 14° yesterday... WOO-HOO‼ (except for the 5 inches of snow :( we got with the "warm" weather)
Ya' know it's gettin' pretty bad when 14° feels like springtime :dizzy:
Looks like a couple more days of this crap and then a real warm-up... not even breaking 0° tomorrow, but into the 20's by week's end :rock:
This winter really isn't that much fun anymore is it? You guys in the upper Midwest have been brutalized. I have family in GB, WI.

We've largely been able to avoid your extreme temps here, although it did hit -32F in a town 20 mins from me last month and I've seen -20F here once this year. The one blessing we've had is that we've had scant snowfall this year. The ski areas are doing the snow dance.

Have a good day White Spider Monkey. ;))

That's actually a section of drift that was busted with a V plow.;)
That's why the edges are vertical and not sloped or rounded.

The piles are taller than that in my driveway.:(
There is a mile of open field across the road to the west of me, between snow and drifting its a wall 1/4 mile long over 6' feet high from keeping it punched open.

I ran to Syracuse and back yesterday. Almost felt hot, it was 20° there.

Now the weather is just nickel and diming us. Woke up this morning to another inch or so of snow. BUt the sun is out now, for the time being, so I'll take it. End of month forecast shows a break in the temps and if it holds true my little 2013/2014 wood pile just might hold out! With 30 degree temps I can save about 5-6 splits a day!
Even with these "warmer" temps this week the wood is lasting a lot longer. Friday night I loaded the stove around 9:30/10pm and didn't re-load until 2 pm the next day. Even that re-load was a couple small splits just to make some coals for when I got home from some family functions. Which worked perfect because when I arrived home around 8pm Sat night I had coals to load up an overnight fire.
Good news is I will be starting to build my indoor greenhouse in about two weeks. I am starting all my pepper plants extra early this year. I'm tired of the late season pepper harvest. I want to speed it up a bit.
I will be doing this in the woodstove room and peppers love the heat so it will be perfect. I hope to begin putting seeds in pots by the 1st week in March. Tomatoes will go around the beginning of April.

I can't wait for the temps tonight, I will be up at least 3 times stoking the wood stove. It made it clear up to +4 today.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows -20 below to -25 below zero. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill values to 35 below.
On the bright side I have a 8 cord 100" log load of Ash coming Tuesday. I will have him unload it right next to my garage.

While y'all are hanging around inside, enjoying your woodstoves, you need to google something like this "the coming ice age", "the next ice age", etc. You'll find some websites and interviews put up by reputable, established climatologists who are saying the very opposite of the global warming crowd. These scientists are claiming that we are going into a cooling phase, and they have data to back up their claims. Some of the more scary predictions suggest that we could even be on the cusp of the next big ice age. According to core samples obtained by drilling miles down into Antarctic glaciers, the onset of ice ages happens very fast, some as soon as just twenty years and you are into it full bore. One climatologist suggests that volcanic activity can have a lot to do with it. A recipe for disaster occurs when undersea volcanoes heat up the oceans and land based volcanoes cool down the air by dumping dust into the atmosphere. The hot oceans release a lot of water vapor into the air, and the cold air turns it all into snow. When everything gets covered with snow, the sun's radiation is no longer absorbed but is instead reflected back into space and the earth goes into a feedback loop of staying cold for centuries and then snow just keeps piling up. We do seem to be having a lot of active volcanic eruptions going on right now. Think about all this while yer sitting all cozy by the wood stove.

volcanoes cool down the air by dumping dust into the atmosphere

Does the EPA know about this? Gonna need some secondaries and catalytic convertors on those volcanoes! Can't have debris floating around in the atmosphere.

Oh man I just couldn't resist. We may indeed be on the cusp of another ice age but these things take so many thousands of years that the most we will see in our lifetime is the same as what we are seeing now.

I think about stuff like this all the time. It's great fodder for my writing. I'm currently wrapped up in post apocalyptic nuclear meltdown!

And then-again, this might be nothing more than an unusually cold winter, just as the winter of 2011-2012 was an unusually warm winter.
"They're" lucky to get the weather prediction for next week correct, and we're supposed to believe "they" can predict long term global warming/cooling...
We just live on this rock... and that's only because the rock ain't wiped us out yet.

While y'all are hanging around inside, enjoying your woodstoves, you need to google something like this "the coming ice age", "the next ice age", etc. You'll find some websites and interviews put up by reputable, established climatologists who are saying the very opposite of the global warming crowd. These scientists are claiming that we are going into a cooling phase, and they have data to back up their claims. Some of the more scary predictions suggest that we could even be on the cusp of the next big ice age. According to core samples obtained by drilling miles down into Antarctic glaciers, the onset of ice ages happens very fast, some as soon as just twenty years and you are into it full bore. One climatologist suggests that volcanic activity can have a lot to do with it. A recipe for disaster occurs when undersea volcanoes heat up the oceans and land based volcanoes cool down the air by dumping dust into the atmosphere. The hot oceans release a lot of water vapor into the air, and the cold air turns it all into snow. When everything gets covered with snow, the sun's radiation is no longer absorbed but is instead reflected back into space and the earth goes into a feedback loop of staying cold for centuries and then snow just keeps piling up. We do seem to be having a lot of active volcanic eruptions going on right now. Think about all this while yer sitting all cozy by the wood stove.

Chuck,

I repectfully disagree.

Back when I was a kid in the 70's, we had winters like this regularly.
Then the Space shuttle program started, and the winters mellowed out, and we got Al Gores Hockey stick.

Now that the Shuttle program is scrapped, we are right back to normal winters.
See how that works.:D

Beats counting Cow farts and the endless debates with loontards over .00000002 degrees of ocean temp. anyhow.

If you're right, I suppose we could throw some of this snow into a few Volcanoes and settle them down a bit.
I'm good with that.;)

For our area I knew we were in for a doozy early on and by Christmas it was clear we were on track for a cold bitter winter like 2010 was but once into January and now well into February I'd say we past that mark and I can't remember a winter so brutal that highs rarely hit 20 and every night dipping below zero even well into middle of February . Normally we'd get a bitter week in middle of January where you'd see this pattern but this is approaching 8 weeks of arctic blasts. If we truly are on the verge of a mini ice age people in northern climates are going to have to rethink how they use energy in this country and become self sufficient . With high cost double of what it used to and strict rationing the days of waiting around till your low on oil or propane and making a convienant phone call to your utility company may come to an end . In extreme cases over time it can crush an economy and send us back to an agricultural society where firewood and livestock are considered currency . Sounds crazy but that could happen if things got bad enough. When this happens the Amish will get the last laugh and professional victims like Kim kardashian will be broke standing on a street corner flagging down " johns"

...I can't remember a winter so brutal that highs rarely hit 20 and every night dipping below zero even well into middle of February.

I agree, I can't remember a winter this cold either... heck, we've been lucky to get above 10° since before Thanksgiving. Sure, we had cold temperatures back in the 60's and 70's, we'd get a 5-6 day cold snap where overnights dropped well below zero and daytime stayed in single digits or even slightly below zero... most of the winter we'd see highs in the 20's, even lots of 30's, and lows in single digits and teens. Heck, I don't think we've been above freezing more than half-a-dozen times since mid-November... and below zero overnights have been the rule not the exception. Even though "they're" predicting a warm-up for us later this week... those temps are still significantly below "normal" (or average) for mid-February.

But than again, just two years ago I sat on the front porch one January afternoon, barefoot, wearing shorts and a t-shirt with the grill going and a cold one in my hand. No, it weren't "summer-like", but it was in the low 60's with the sun shinning... and up here, we figure 65° is warm enough to go swimming‼

If we truly are on the verge of a mini ice age people in northern climates are going to have to rethink how they use energy in this country and become self sufficient . With high cost double of what it used to and strict rationing the days of waiting around till your low on oil or propane and making a convienant phone call to your utility company may come to an end .

What would also come to an end is the practice of chipping up wood and hauling everything off to brush dumps to rot. We had an interesting situation happen in Knoxville area some years back. A tree company had spent years filling up a deep ravine with wood chips. The stuff packed down and did the same thing that wet hay does, it got so hot that combustion started. The mess burned and smouldered for a couple of years, causing endless complaints, lawsuits and legal problems for the tree company. The people in the area were angry about the smoke. Despite dumping countless gallons of water on it they never managed to put it out completely, it always started up again and finally managed to burn itself out. God knows how many btu's got wasted there.

If the next three or four winters are a repeat of this, or even worse, then we'll know that something really serious is happening. It sure will put a lot of egg on the faces of the global warming crowd and turn them into a big joke.

people in northern climates are going to have to rethink how they use energy in this country and become self sufficient . With high cost double of what it used to and strict rationing the days of waiting around till your low on oil or propane and making a convienant phone call to your utility company may come to an end . In extreme cases over time it can crush an economy and send us back to an agricultural society where firewood and livestock are considere

No way we could support the heating of America's homes with firewood. In a few short years we would be a wasteland of scrub. It is scary to think about. Too many homes and not enough trees.

Back