Timberwolf Manual Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kafinlayson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am debating on getting a new splitter. I only do about 15 cords a year. Mostly for me and family members, sell a couple of loads per year. Looking at the Timberwolf TW-2HD only because it is the smallest one that can get the hydraulic lift on.....then I checked into the price a bit. Probably out of my range but sure looks nice.

So I have come down a bit and am looking at the TW-P1 or the TW-2. Both of these can have the "manual or mechanical lift". I have searched for information on this thing and can't find anybody who has used one. I know it has a lower limit than the hydraulic one but I would imagine that it would handle anything that I was going to tackle. My question is for those who have used it. I'm 50 now and in decent shape but won't be forever. :)

I hate to make a decision on this until I can find someone who uses one of these to give their opinion. My "local" dealer is over 4 hours away so visiting him is not really a choice at the moment.

Thanks for any insights you can give.

If you are going to use it forever until going to the big woodlot in the sky, I'd say go ahead and get the one with the hydraulic lift table.

The only hydraulic splitter I have ever used is quite a stout home made one with a log lift and it is super handy. I really couldn't see having to pick up all the rounds to put them on a splitter.

Anything not comfortable to pick up, hand split right there on the ground. Anything too small , hand split. that's faster to just whack it where it is. That leaves only mid sized perfect ones that might be practical to mechanically split...unless you have the side and end tables and log lift. then load them all up.

A hand lift, no idea, the log lift is just a hinge, a pivot point for the extra cylinder and the plumbing, it shouldn't really cost all that much more.

TW whacks you for 8 benjamins for the hydraulic lift on a -6. Sure seems like a lot given the amount of "stuff" involved. Here's my thinking... the manual lift may help you along for a while but the hydro will make life so much easier for you. I'd save the pennies for a few exrtra months and get extra options. Get the one you'll still be able to operate with a few health issues. Splitting 20 cords a year, that machine should stay quite healthy into your 80's.

Spend the money on the log lift and a table grate,YOU have to look at it 5-20 years down the road.

I do not regret buying the table grate or the log lift on my timberlwolf splitter after trading in a montgomery ward
wood splitter 5 years ago-and your splitter will lose a very small percentage of value for ever!!!!!!!!!!

Timberwolf no longer makes the model I bought anymore and its value has skyrocketed just sitting in my garage for the winter.

I purchased a 1 yo TWP-1 last fall w/ manual lift, 4 way, table grate. I then realized that it is possible to place a 2 X 6 up to the splitter and roll the large rounds up on to it!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a great splitter and I love the 4 way, the manual lift is a good staging area for a bunch of smaller rounds also, but my 20 yo Northern Hydraulics 16 ton that only cost me $600 (used) could out split the TW. My son has informed me that he can adjust the TW for more power, I sure hope so!!! My point is, with a little thought and a lot less $$$$ you can figure out ways to get the job done. Also the lift does get in the way somewhat. PS did I mention I would sell it in a heartbeat!!!!

I've had good success with the manual lift and found it to put very large rounds onto the splitter given the right amount of muscle. At times I wish I had gone with the TW-2 with the hydraulic lift, but overall I've been very pleased with the TW-1 and manual lift option. Below is some large oak I was able to hoist up with the manual lift, as long as my helper was there to steady the load!
image.jpg

I purchased a 1 yo TWP-1 last fall w/ manual lift, 4 way, table grate. I then realized that it is possible to place a 2 X 6 up to the splitter and roll the large rounds up on to it!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a great splitter and I love the 4 way, the manual lift is a good staging area for a bunch of smaller rounds also, but my 20 yo Northern Hydraulics 16 ton that only cost me $600 (used) could out split the TW. My son has informed me that he can adjust the TW for more power, I sure hope so!!! My point is, with a little thought and a lot less $$$$ you can figure out ways to get the job done. Also the lift does get in the way somewhat. PS did I mention I would sell it in a heartbeat!!!!
I'm not sure how the manual lift works, but I do know that the hydraulic one will lift rounds that I can't even move by myself. I sure wouldn't be able to push them up a 2x6.

Depends on what you mean with "large". You get oak or sweetgum or elm or I guess some guys get huge cottonwoods, etc, in the 36" or larger sizes and it might get difficult to roll up a round and do it safely. That's like hundreds of lbs. Let alone anything really big. I have a four footer down in my yard now, haven't bucked it up, but I'd like to see someone roll one of those rounds up a short ramp to a splitter and manhandle it into splits without a table. I know it is possible, if your name is andre the giant or like conan.

If you need a lift and want to save money an electric powered lift can be added to any horizontal splitter for under $150 if you have some fabricating skills. The manual lift on the Timberwolf can also be converted to electric winch operated with just a small winch and battery.

Wow thanks for the replies...I really do WANT the hydraulic lift but it would mean going another year borrowing and renting splitters to get that much cash up. I agree that I could use the manual lift pretty well right now but who knows in another couple of years. I already have low back issues and according to the doctors have needed surgery in both shoulders for a while just too stubborn to go and get it done so who knows how long I could use the manual one. I have thought about doing some word of mouth advertising and cutting a bunch this spring to be delivered to folks I know. If I thought I had a legitimate shot at making some of it back in 2 years I would do that and could stop then if I wanted to.

The electric deal has me intrigued. Where would a person find more information on these or plans to build? Sounds good but also sounds like another something to drag to the timber. I am hoping to start splitting where I cut most of the time to help reduce handling.

Here is a pic of AS member jags electric winch operated log lift. The electric winch could also be replaced with a hand crank boat winch.

Attachments

• Jags log lift.jpg
    Jags log lift.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 64
Here is an old Didier that was modified. Adding an electric log lift and outfeed table. The lift is self supported an can be detached in seconds as is the winch which is transfered between splitter and trailer.

Attachments

• Didier start.jpg
    Didier start.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Didier rebuild 009.jpg
    Didier rebuild 009.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Didier complete.jpg
    Didier complete.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 49
Wow thanks for the replies...I really do WANT the hydraulic lift but it would mean going another year borrowing and renting splitters to get that much cash up. I agree that I could use the manual lift pretty well right now but who knows in another couple of years. I already have low back issues and according to the doctors have needed surgery in both shoulders for a while just too stubborn to go and get it done so who knows how long I could use the manual one. I have thought about doing some word of mouth advertising and cutting a bunch this spring to be delivered to folks I know. If I thought I had a legitimate shot at making some of it back in 2 years I would do that and could stop then if I wanted to.

The electric deal has me intrigued. Where would a person find more information on these or plans to build? Sounds good but also sounds like another something to drag to the timber. I am hoping to start splitting where I cut most of the time to help reduce handling.

There's another alternative, the brand splitter WS uses, the Logboss (can't link, just google it up). It pivots around a big round on the ground. Instead of lifting the wood by hand or using a log lift, you just position it where the chunk sits and start splitting pieces off of it. Lightweight-one hand to move them around- and apparently much cheaper than these larger units. I *really* like that design. I don't own one, but if I was going to buy one, most likely that is what I would get.

looks like there are more options than I thought. Thanks for the info, lots to think about. I still think I would like the hydraulic one but getting the P1 and possibly making it electric is an option. decisions decisions. Oh well, I have a few months to think about it.

I'm not sure how the manual lift works, but I do know that the hydraulic one will lift rounds that I can't even move by myself. I sure wouldn't be able to push them up a 2x6.
Not everyone works with giant wood. I just stated that for the size of wood I usually have, I can accomplish the same task by rolling the rounds up the 2 x 6. At almost 60, I have learned to limit myself physically and $$$$$$$.

What about a horizontal/vertical splitter-I have split some 54" logs that weighed about 500#- I know it was to big, but it was me or the splitter. Those splitters are in the $2000 range.

I have tried the vertical splitters and just don't like them. To me it is just not comfortable and you have to roll the log over there anyway. And I'll never touch anything close to 500 pounds. Those days have already flown the coop.

Back