chainsaw prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i see alot of prices that people pay for stihl saw are 200 to 300 more then in my area brand new are dealers allowed to sell for that much more in one area then the other

Dealers can sell for whatever price they want. Higher or lower than MSRP if they choose. However most brands contracts state that they can't advertise for less than MSRP.

Hmm. I've not heard of any dealers selling above dsrp. Are you maybe rounding up then down then excluding sales tax? Are you buying MS 441 R C-M with 25" ESs for $699?

I think a dealer can charge whatever they want, that is why people shop around for prices. I bought from a local dealer and paid $30 - $40 more than I could have someplace else farther away. But when you have a problem are you going to take the saw to the guy who is close to you when you didn't buy it from him? I can see him putting the saw at the end of the bench and maybe he will work on it after all other saws are done, and the floor is swept, and the grass is cut, and all the leaves are racked up, he might work on your saw you bought someplace else.

i see alot of prices that people pay for stihl saw are 200 to 300 more then in my area brand new are dealers allowed to sell for that much more in one area then the other

I don't think you are seeing that much discrepancy unless you are talking about different countries. $30-75- maybe. $300- no.

The closest I have seen personally to a price gap that large was last year when I bought a new 362. One dealer told me 699 plus tax and he would through in a case for free.

The dealer I bought it from was 640 out the door.

Romania
Dolmar 5000 750$
Sthil 261 cm 878$
Sthil 441 cm 1300$
Husqvarna 346 xp 757 $ with 12% discount today.
Expensive when the average salary is 450$.

I've seen dealers be $100 higher 30 miles apart.

My experience is that if you develop a relationship with a dealer & buy some equipment/parts over the years from them, they will give you some kind of discount.
The Stihl dealer that I always went to retired two years ago but he always gave me 5-7% off list plus a second chain.

The Husky dealer I go to always gives me a discount, generally between 5-10% off list.

I could be wrong here, but I believe most dealers of major manufacturers saws are permitted to sell below MSRP, but not above it.

Prices are advertised on manufacturer printed and distributed brochures, therefore they would have to heed the upper end of the price structure, although they can sell for less.

In the business that I run at the day job I have to support all corporate prices, whether advertised or regular price unless I choose to sell at a lower gross margin.

I cannot raise any price at all, but have the liberty to discount.

My experience is that if you develop a relationship with a dealer & buy some equipment/parts over the years from them, they will give you some kind of discount.
The Stihl dealer that I always went to retired two years ago but he always gave me 5-7% off list plus a second chain.

The Husky dealer I go to always gives me a discount, generally between 5-10% off list.

Yeah they are good to me. Parts and stuff like that they do a small discount on. The saws they usually quote almost 10% off. A 460 was $850.

I could be wrong here, but I believe most dealers of major manufacturers saws are permitted to sell below MSRP, but not above it.

Prices are advertised on manufacturer printed and distributed brochures, therefore they would have to heed the upper end of the price structure, although they can sell for less.

In the business that I run at the day job I have to support all corporate prices, whether advertised or regular price unless I choose to sell at a lower gross margin.

I cannot raise any price at all, but have the liberty to discount.

Dealers can sell above MSRP if they want. People think STIHL is a franchise company, they aren't. Dealers are independent. Once they buy items, they can sell at whatever price they wish. There's no law against it.

Either you guys make a lot more money than we do or the Germans just don't want to sell saws in NZ.
Any idea why the prices are so high?
Is everything that way, or only Stihl saws?

Most things here are damned expensive..minimum wage here (shop assistants/cleaners/rest home caregivers/factory workers etc) is $13.50 hr before tax I think. a lot of our workforce are on minimum wage, or $1 or so above
I, as a paramedic make double that, along with Police/Fire/Nurses etc, but pay 30% tax roughly
Average house price in our biggest city, Auckland is $475,000, making home ownership here very hard, if you move to small towns and travel a long way to work they are much cheaper..we pay $2200 a year to our council for water etc, roughly $1100 a year for house insurance
Gas is $2.10 litre
Milk $4 for 2 litres
Bread (decent stuff) $4 loaf
To own a car here is $280 per year registration plus $100 for safety checks (called Warrant of fitness) then you pay insurance, maintenance etc
4 litre pack of Valvoline engine oil $50
Stihl 2 stroke oil $22 per litre
Cord of pine firewood roughly $160
McDonalds smallest burger $2.50
Decent 25 inch bar and chain for chainsaw about $200 (what I paid for the MS440 chain and bar, GB bar) Stihl bar would be $200 by itself at a guess

New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country, but run by absolute retards, the National Government, here you can sit on your fat arse and get weekly payment from the government to live on, and not really look for work, pop babies out and get the same, which works out to be more than minimum wage...so we have a huge population of non working bludgers sucking the country dry!

Cars are expensive, a new Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is $85,000
Toyota Corolla ( the most basic) $30,000

Husqvarna saws here

http://www.husqvarna.com/nz/products/professional-chainsaws/husqvarna-proffesional-chainsaws/

Just a small list...lol!!

Oh and I bought a chinese 58cc saw here for a "loaner" and where a saw was at risk cutting, to save my good saws, that was the very cheapest I could get with no warranty, was $190.

Pair of chaps last week (basic clip up ones) cost me $200.

Most things here are damned expensive..minimum wage here (shop assistants/cleaners/rest home caregivers/factory workers etc) is $13.50 hr before tax I think. a lot of our workforce are on minimum wage, or $1 or so above
I, as a paramedic make double that, along with Police/Fire/Nurses etc, but pay 30% tax roughly
Average house price in our biggest city, Auckland is $475,000, making home ownership here very hard, if you move to small towns and travel a long way to work they are much cheaper..we pay $2200 a year to our council for water etc, roughly $1100 a year for house insurance
Gas is $2.10 litre
Milk $4 for 2 litres
Bread (decent stuff) $4 loaf
To own a car here is $280 per year registration plus $100 for safety checks (called Warrant of fitness) then you pay insurance, maintenance etc
4 litre pack of Valvoline engine oil $50
Stihl 2 stroke oil $22 per litre
Cord of pine firewood roughly $160
McDonalds smallest burger $2.50
Decent 25 inch bar and chain for chainsaw about $200 (what I paid for the MS440 chain and bar, GB bar) Stihl bar would be $200 by itself at a guess

New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country, but run by absolute retards, the National Government, here you can sit on your fat arse and get weekly payment from the government to live on, and not really look for work, pop babies out and get the same, which works out to be more than minimum wage...so we have a huge population of non working bludgers sucking the country dry!

Cars are expensive, a new Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is $85,000
Toyota Corolla ( the most basic) $30,000

Husqvarna saws here

http://www.husqvarna.com/nz/products/professional-chainsaws/husqvarna-proffesional-chainsaws/

Just a small list...lol!!

Sounds like the USA, in particular California and New Yawk.

It seems to me Stihl supplies price tags with the model and price. Generally most of their product has those hanging on them. One can also go on line and check pricing and reserve one. Probably not all dealers are in this system but isn't this price set for the region and not something the dealership can tamper with?

Dealers can sell above MSRP if they want. People think STIHL is a franchise company, they aren't. Dealers are independent. Once they buy items, they can sell at whatever price they wish. There's no law against it.

I understand that Stihl is not a franchise, but you still are responsible to follow the guidelines as per Stihl's corporate policy in order to maintain your status as a dealer.

An example would be their policy of no internet sales. If you are caught they can revoke your dealership.

It's not a free for all once you become a dealer, and once you enter into a binding contract with someone regardless of state and federal law if you break the rules and guidelines of the contract it can be ended at any time. I'm sure Stihl has guidelines to follow as a dealer, franchise or not.

Again, I could be wrong here, but I would assume that as a dealer you would be responsible to meet Stihl's advertised pricing structure.

How much business do you think you would do if people look up prices and then come in and you charge them $100 over MSRP?

Latest posts

Back