********WHAT AGE DID YOU FIRST START USING A CHAINSAW????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never aloud to run a saw until I bought my own when I was around 19. When I was 12 or so my dad had a catastrophic cutting accident and became very uncomfortable when anybody around him was running a saw...it took a lot of proving your capabilities to him before he trusted you.

Got my Dads hand me down Mini Mac 30 when I was 9. Been helping him with Firewood since I could carry limbs. Didn't get to fell anything bigger than about 8" for a couple of years though. But I was able to buck and limb out as soon as I got that Mini Mac 30. Was able to run His new Craftsman saw by the time I was 12 or 13. Wish I still had that little Mini Mac saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew on a small dairy farm and when I say small I me a one man operation basically part time (my dad had a full time job) so we didn't do a lot of firewood cutting. My dad had 2 old saws I think were made by Harley Davison or something close to that name. They were huge saws and I can only remember him using it one time to cut a large pine that had died next to his shop. After that experience he took both saws to a ford tractor dealership that sold chainsaws. He traded both saws with a little boot for a Lombard saw. I don't know if anyone has ever used or been around on of these saws but if you did you probably have a hearing problem. No muffler, straight exhaust. Loudest saw I ever heard. He finally started letting me run it a few years later when I was about 14 years old (I think because he was tired of the noise). I finally bought my own saw when I was about 18 (Stihl 041).

Probably 8 or 9. Dad had a little blue homelite with the manual oiler. These were more Darwin friendly times than now, but my only incident was burning the **** out of my thigh with one of those stupid side mufflers. I remember my dad nearly amputating his thumb one handing that saw. I keep 2 hands on my saws all the time.
I've let my kids run the small saw under close supervision since 9 or so

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 40
Probably 8 or 9. Dad had a little blue homelite with the manual oiler. These were more Darwin friendly times than now, but my only incident was burning the **** out of my thigh with one of those stupid side mufflers. I remember my dad nearly amputating his thumb one handing that saw. I keep 2 hands on my saws all the time.
I've let my kids run the small saw under close supervision since 9 or so
Pioneer 61 when I was about 13 or 14 it was too big for me, had a 32 inch bar. I could cut about 8 rounds out of the deck behind the house before I had to rest.Starting it was no picnic but I got her done.

I grew up on a small farm to and we burnt wood till we put in an oil well and got free natural gas. I think I was in the 3rd or 4th grade, and used a old poulan and homelite.

19. Dad cut a little wood here and there for others then my brother wanted to start selling a few cords. The 3 of us would go out. They would cut and I was the branch manager. Soon I got tired of missing the fun so I told dad I wanted to run one. That old blue Homelite made my hands and arms tingle the rest of the day but my brothers Husky felt awesome. My brother and I got to selling maybe 20 cords a year and I got to run the saw more and more. It eventually got to a point where I was the main saw man- for felling at least and I gotta tell ya, as the little brother that sure felt great. As dad got older I think he just enjoyed watching his two boys working hard and doing something together. He would still join in the cutting but mostly he just enjoyed being out with us...so did we!

10 or 11.. Yes, a green Poulan--never was given any 'instructions' just tried to be like dad.

Lucky guy I am-having the greatest dad--taught me everything I know--from respect to hard work, honesty, even business.

My dad did it all--even cut firewood! He has slowed a bit (he's73) but we still cut wood together.

18 or 19, as a groundie for college summers, boss let me borrow his big (and I mean BIG) work Homie for a side job or two. I'd been reluctant to ask, but he volunteered, and I returned it as I received it. What a bleeping beast that thing was, around 100 cc! Really made me appreciate his ease and precision running that thing one-handed in the bucket. (Standing ON the bucket, too!) Never one-handed a saw in my life. Ever. (Of couse, he almost never one-handed any saw.)

My #2 son was interested in learning, so I gave him the captive-audience saw safety lecture on the way to a woodcutting party. He did just fine with my Echo 315, and loved it.

#2 son just wasn't interested until he had to take a few forestry courses at UME. A bit later he wanted a saw, so I got him a nice little 2.1 cid Poulan 2150. He never asked about sharpening, so I didn't tell. I had a 2150 too, nice docile saw, great for noodling, OEM 16" bar. The porting was such that the exhaust wasn't typical 2-stroke lethal.

19. Burned at my folks house before then, but dad bought in apple and cherry tree wood. I axed some into splits. He ran a misery whip as a kid during the depression, didn't want any part of wood outside of buying it and burning it in a fireplace.

At 19 I started helping some friends clear their homestead, plus do firewood. Then some other friends, then the little township clearing roads and around the cemeteries and parks, etc.

Got my own at ..dang, young 20s. cut with that, and also my bowsaw. Cut firewood, cooking wood, maple sugaring wood, fence posts.

I cut more now and every year a bit more. Actually starting to get a little better at it, now that I have unlearned bad habits and got more into technical falling and better overall technique with processing.

I think cutting and working with wood is one of the most fun and productive sports/hobbies. Get a nice workout, have fun being outside, and wind up with big piles of useful wood!

I honestly can't say if now, my age, I would enjoy it if it was a full time job, but..all my other work is outside and physical, so most likely I would still like it. It is always what I look forward to doing when my other chores are done.

I was 15. but I remember begging people to let me use one since I was 12. before using the chainsaw I had to cut with a hand saw... a chainsaw looked like a whole lot less work, and a lot more production.

Latest posts

Back