need cheap, throw away saw I can put a 24" + bar on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtreefeller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a task at work where I need to do about 15 minutes of cutting down through about a foot of standing water.

The cutting is going to be easy, so I don't need a powerful saw.

There is going to be a lot of water flying, and I don't want to use a good saw.

I am looking for a cheap throw away saw, like a Blue Max, that I can put at least a 24 inch long bar on.

Any ideas?

Let me restate my question more directly; do any of the readily available throw-away saws have bar patterns compatible with available 24"+ bars?

Thanks,

The oregon K095 mount can be obtained 24 inches long if you go to the most expensive replacable nose kind. It is pretty easy to make work on an a041 saw which would be in the throw away class. Well some of them. Some folks seem to say it needs no mods but I mod them a bit. Probably would have to get .325 drive sprocket for the saw and bar, bar can be ordered that way.

Yea, I am not running a good saw with the blade in water. It probably wouldn't suck up enough water into the carb to bend the piston rod before it stalls, but I don't want to find out with a good saw. When I try it with a throw away, I'll let you know how it turned out.

If the cutting is really easy you might want to think about a good handsaw. You would of course have to get wet yourself, but saws like a silkybigboy might fit the bill. A pole saw might even fit the bill-- powered or not.

Never had trouble with a saw and water but did hydraulic lock a YZ 250 years ago. Bent the connecting rod to the point it wouldn't let the crank spin. Take the chain off and push back to the truck. Don't want to repeat that ever again with any motor. Very expensive fix.

I did hit my head pretty hard today when the wind caught the hood of the truck I was working on but...how hard would it really be to hook up a snorkel type air filter just to do a few cuts? Probably would not take more than ten minutes to modify an ATV filter and use some shop vac or drainage hose to mount it, couple clamps and you are set. Does not have to look good or last long.

Latest posts

Back